Trauma Related AA Speaker Tapes

For recovery discussion

Trauma Related AA Speaker Tapes

Postby forestgrace » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:55 pm

Hi all! I am an active AA member, and have been in and out of the program for about a year now. As someone who experienced ongoing childhood trauma, I've had a difficult time with the language of AA and finding other members whose experiences I relate to. I've been searching for speaker tapes online that relate to childhood trauma and recovery from alcoholism, but haven't found any!
In realizing how difficult it is to search for speaker tapes by keyword, my sponsor and I have decided to create a search engine website with archived speaker tapes so that people can search for tapes on specific subjects (particularly childhood trauma and mental illness).
I'm posting on this forum in the hopes that you can post links to AA speaker tapes in this sort of category to help us get started on the archiving process! I think it'll be an amazing resource for women in AA (and men, too) who are looking for speaker tapes on themes that aren't as commonly spoken about.
Thanks!
forestgrace
Forums Newcomer

Re: Trauma Related AA Speaker Tapes

Postby Brock » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:24 pm

Hi and welcome here, congratulations on the fine idea and work you are doing to achieve a database of specific tapes.

If I understand correctly, you are hoping members here can provide links to the sort of speaker tape themes you are looking for. We would encourage any member who has knowledge of tapes of the type you describe to provide the link, but this can not be done in a post here, it can be sent privately via the PM (private message) function. We maintain a strict links policy as outlined here -
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=23992
This is necessary, because when we don’t stick to this policy, we have been flooded with links of every description.

Wishing you the best in this venture.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Blue Moon » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:18 pm

This is interesting. It's a discussion that arises here from time to time. The input always seems pretty good, particularly around how to handle Step 4. I don't have any such links to offer, but please let me know once you get your page up so we can share it to others who could benefit.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby forestgrace » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:38 am

Thanks for letting me know about the policy! And yes, if anyone has any links please send them to me in a message. It’s definitely going to be a challenge, but I will definitely let everyone know when the site is up. And yes Blue Moon, this is something that came up for me in the 4th step, and I’ve realized that others have had a similar experience - it’s a really interesting question... do we keep AA and mental health strictly separate or acknowledge/address the link between the two?
forestgrace
Forums Newcomer

Postby Blue Moon » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:45 am

As alcoholism is a mental health issue, IMO it's more about that line "problems other than alcohol", and emphasis in the book about seeking outside help.

It's up to each of us to decide for ourselves where that line is.

Within AA, there can be a prevailing thought that Steps can fix everything. This is because they seem to help with a whole load of things which we thought completely unrelated to physical consumption of a liquid. Someone in AA with no PTSD may not understand.

As we dig into the Steps, it becomes clearer that what we're dealing with is today, not what happened many years ago. So "my part" could be simply how my resentment today is affecting me today, particularly in how I relate to others.

Time and new experiences can help us heal, provided we're open to them and no longer stuffing things down with alcohol.

For example, my 4th Step included problems I had at school, aged about 9-12. I thought I had dealt with it in my 4th and 5th, so the next time I saw the building a year or so later I was surprised at my reaction. PTSD was just dormant, not cured. I wondered why the building hadn't yet burned to the ground. Yet it's just a building, the evils within had long-since departed. So I still needed time to process new truths about my reactions today, and the extent to which they are only hurting me. By staying sober, the next time I saw the place my reaction was far more "neutral". Same building, different "me".

AA and Steps alone did not fix that bit, sober experiences did.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby Todd M » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:17 am

Try our Links section for this group
http://www.e-aa.org/links/index.php

"AA Online" category at the top, then to the bottom of that category.
There is Hope, Todd M
Keep it Simple

The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link:
http://www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
Todd M
Forums Long Timer

Postby bbqking » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:27 am

Google Bob E or Bob Earl aa speaker since we aren't allowed links that's the best i can do. Enjoy
bbqking
Forums Enthusiast

Return to Discussions