The Language of the Heart article & the Book

For recovery discussion
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Re: The Language of the Heart article & the Book

Post by PaigeB » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:38 pm

Sorry - I should have been more clear - I was being sarcastic. The gal who quit before legal age is one of my best friends and she is a great sponsor with a lot of sponsees. I like her program, albeit a bit different from my own.
As for as this thread, and this board in general, its the belief that AA has been watered down and ruined by the infiltration of un-real alcoholics.
I do NOT think it has been watered down and I do not think e-aa does - as far as part of our group message.
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB

Spirit Flower
Forums Old Timer

Post by Spirit Flower » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:21 pm

Watered down means diluted with water so it is less strong.
...a score card reading zero...

Noels

Post by Noels » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:29 am

Thanks Spirit Flower :D I had that idea but wasn't sure as it doesn't make sense to me as the AA message comes through straight and clear :? Paige ive read your original post and I understand and agree totally.
Wishing you all a fantastically beautiful day.
Mwah xxx

leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Post by leejosepho » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:46 am

PaigeB wrote:
The challenge, however, is to share our common-to-all experience
Maybe I missed something... is there a suggestion that we are only to share our common-to-all experience?
As compared to what, and what else is there to share? But the point in that specific comment has to do with trying to help others who might not yet realize their need for a solution such as ours since making yet another trip to court, a treatment center or jail does not always amount to yet another trip into the pitiful and incomprehensible demoralization that is the beginning point of the fellowship available in A.A.
=======================
"We A.A.s do not *stay* away from drinking [one day at a
time] -- we *grow* away from drinking [one day at a time]."
("Lois Remembers", page 168, quoting Bill, emphasis added)
=======================

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:36 am

Bill W, put the Title of the chapter "There is a Solution" again, just so people don't get mislead by his initial reference to the survivors of the ship.

There is a solution. Almost none of us liked the self- searching, the leveling of our pride, the confession of shortcomings which the process requires for its successful consummation. But we saw that it really worked in others, and we had come to believe in the hopelessness and futility of life as we had been living it. When, therefore, we were approached by those in whom the problem had been solved, there was nothing left for us but to pick up the simple kit of spiritual tools laid at out feet. We have found much of heaven and we have been rocketed into a fourth dimension of existence of which we had not even dreamed.

The great fact is just this, and nothing less: That we have had deep and effective spiritual experiences* which have revolutionized our whole attitude toward life, toward our fellows and toward God's universe. The central fact of our lives today is the absolute certainty that our Creator has entered into our hearts and lives in a way which is indeed miraculous. He has commenced to accomplish those things for us which we could never do by ourselves.

The above is also the common solution page 17 talks about and also in

Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.
Show him the mental twist which leads to the first drink of a spree. We suggest you do this as we have done it in the chapter on alcoholism.(Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

Reborn
Forums Long Timer

Post by Reborn » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:44 am

The reason AA is watered down is because of the courts and treatment facilities. Don't get me wrong the first couple of guys I worked with were court ordered to be there...they didn't want the solution in the beginning...but eventually came around and worked the steps. Alot of the things I hear in AA come from folks repeating what their counselor in treatment told them..."think through the drink"..."play the tape through"...and my favorite "know your triggers." These three things in particular are three things the alcoholic cannot do.

Page 24..The fact is that most alcoholics, for reasons yet obscure, have lost the power of choice in drink. Our so-called will power becomes practically nonexistent. We are unable, at certain times, to bring into our consciousness with sufficient force the memory of the suffering and humiliation of even a week or a month ago. We are without defense against the first drink.

How can I "think through the drink" if "I have lost the power of choice in drink"...or "play the tape through" when my "so-called will power becomes practically nonexistent." I am "unable, at certain times, to bring into our consciousness with sufficient force the memory of the suffering and humiliation of even a week or a month ago"...or even know my triggers when I am "without defense against the first drink"? I want to make it clear because some folks here like to nit pick some of things shared...all of these court ordered and treatment folks are welcome...some of them hear a solution and get busy with the steps...but the over all message they carry are the things I mentioned above. I don't blame them it is all they know and the only thing I (we) can do is carry the AA message in an attractive way. I do believe treatment has its benefits but ultimately treatment is just self-knowledge...and that doesn't work either...

page 39...

...the actual or potential alcoholic, with hardly an exception, will be absolutely unable to stop drinking on the basis of self-knowledge. This is a point we wish to emphasize and re-emphasize, to smash home upon our alcoholic readers as it has been revealed to us out of bitter experience.
We have recovered, and have been given the power to help others. BB pg 132

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:03 am

"think through the drink"...

Your post made me think of the sign on the wall, "Think, think think."

A guy with 35 years+ tells how the old boys walked him around the room and told him about what each one of the signs meant. When they got to the "think" sign they said, "That one is not for you. Don't think!"

Another guy, whom I met much more recently (no idea when he learned it or where) said, "I was told I could only think about something 3 times. Any more than that was thinking it to death!"

I guess I like both explanations. :mrgreen:
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:12 am

How can I "think through the drink" if "I have lost the power of choice in drink"
Unfortunately people do not talk about the subtle insanity that precedes the first drink. That I think one of the contributors for new-comers or even people with long term sobriety failing. Take the latest issue of Grapevine there are about 3 stories where the individuals hit the blind spot and picked up after long term sobriety. For them if they don't take that first drink, they won't get drink. Powerlessness after they take that first. Many don't realise there is the Mental part of powerlessness.

You see Bill W asks us to share our story to illustrate the peculiar mental twist around the first drink that prevents the normal functioning of the will power.

Nope. We will not do it. We will share how much we drank, the number of DUIs we got, divorces, incarcerations.....and ask the newcomer to comeback tomorrow.
Show him the mental twist which leads to the first drink of a spree. We suggest you do this as we have done it in the chapter on alcoholism.(Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

Spirit Flower
Forums Old Timer

Post by Spirit Flower » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:16 pm

They only have that "Think Think Think" sign so sponsors can take newbies over there tell them that not for them.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
...a score card reading zero...

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:35 pm

2 Great stories in the BB - Jim on page 32 and the jaywalker illustration on page 37.

And in my area we seldom talk about DUI's and jails, except to toss them out as etceteras. Around here we are always talking about the insanity of this disease... the physical, mental, emotional & spiritual sickness. Then we follow up with how we live in the solution we found in the Steps.

I know we are lucky to live in this pocket of enthusiasm. I know we are not the only area that does not dwell on "Well I had a good week. Nothing special. The judge... blah blah blah. I'll pass". We really try to talk about "what it was like, what happened and what we are like now" as related to the chosen reading from conference approved literature. In fact, last night reading was page 32! One fella got a 35 year chip, one guy got a year chip and a gal got a white chip. Good meeting!

If you do not live in an area that offers this type of meeting, starting a new one is an option! Or come visit us in Iowa!

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:11 pm

God wants me here and guiding me to run series of workshops on step one where we do indepth analysis of internal and external un manageability and the mental and physical part of powerlessness using ALL 4 stories from More about alcoholism.

Stepchild
Forums Old Timer

Post by Stepchild » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:46 pm

This is some good discussion here...Nothing watered down about this. I notice two of you mentioned you had no non-alcoholics as part of your group. That's pretty solid .I've seen quite a few of them not only in my home group...But in other meeting I attend. I was at a Sunday meeting a while back and I listened to this guy share who comes every week...5:00 PM...It's his one meeting....It is his program.

When he was finishing up he said...."One thing I know about AA is...Nobody ever gets it." He frequently shares how meetings..."This meeting" have kept him sober for a couple years.

I shared after how they talk in the book...You actually hear it read before every meeting...

If you have decided you want what we have...And are willing to go to any length to get it....then you are ready to take certain steps.

So it sounds like you can get it.

His response was...."I'm going to have to get that book down off the shelf and blow the dust off it."

God help the newcomer.

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:05 am

Maybe God wants people to help the newcomer! He may come to find himself drawn to the Steps if they are not force fed... we nag a lot - "Did you get a sponsor yet?" and "Did you read the Dr.'s Opinion?" "Will you read "How It Works" for us tonight?"

Stepchild
Forums Old Timer

Post by Stepchild » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:48 am

PaigeB wrote:Maybe God wants people to help the newcomer!
That's pretty much what this program is about. I know God is doing for me....What I couldn't do for myself. And that the right people were put in front of me....And the right message. I have complete faith in that. There was nothing left for me to do but to pick up the simple kit of spiritual tools that was laid at my feet....Either that or die.

Ask Him in your morning meditation what you can do each day for the man who is still sick.
page 164

You think the guy with dust on his book....Sober for two years without the steps...bothers with that?
He may come to find himself drawn to the Steps if they are not force fed... we nag a lot - "Did you get a sponsor yet?" and "Did you read the Dr.'s Opinion?" "Will you read "How It Works" for us tonight?"
If there is any truth to this...I don't think the guy needs them.

As we look back, we feel we had gone on drinking many years beyond the point where we could quit on our will power. If anyone questions whether he has entered this dangerous area, let him try leaving liquor alone for one year. If he is a real alcoholic and very far advanced, there is scant chance of success. In the early days of our drinking we occasionally remained sober for a year or more, becoming serious drinkers again later. Though you may be able to stop for a considerable period, you may yet be a potential alcoholic. We think few, to whom this book will appeal, can stay dry anything like a year. Some will be drunk the day after making their resolutions; most of them within a few weeks.
page 34

If you are one to whom the book appeals....Does what he shares at meetings offer anything good?

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:59 am

In the early days of our drinking we occasionally remained sober for a year or more, becoming serious drinkers again later.
You think he may not be an alcoholic?