Advice for a Recovering Wiccan

For recovery discussion
kdub720
Forums Enthusiast

Re: Advice for a Recovering Wiccan

Post by kdub720 »

This is a great discussion. I like every ones input. We all seem to share the same idea about religion. A higher power being for an individual as they see it. I love these discussion groups because it allows us all to share our issues with alcohol with out fear of rejection. No body should sit through a meeting feeling judged or intimidated by other group members. This process is so individualistic sorting through our own demons that are difficult to share with neighbors and peers. I thank you all for the topics and responses posted here. It helps me be open and honest without fear of judgment.

YogaAbba
Forums Enthusiast

Post by YogaAbba »

Hi,

This topic is helpful to me because I am very new to AA and am also a bit off the trodden path in terms of my own spiritual path. I am a fairly observant Jew, but also have an evolving practice of magic and mysticism in the Hermetic tradition. The only thing that I've felt a little uncomfortable with in AA is that there are a couple of meetings I attend that end with The Lord's Prayer. However, if I focus on the intention behind it rather than its Christian origins, I feel OK about it.

As for the spiritual content of AA, it's clear to me that from what the 12 Steps book says about the third step is that it really is about faith pure and simple, regardless of doctrine or religion. That in itself is making me re-think just about everything in my spiritual life in every sense. I'm sure I don't have faith yet. But this is a challenge I am willing to embrace if helps me grow beyond my obsession with alcohol.

Thanks.
--YA

Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Post by Tosh »

YogaAbba wrote:The only thing that I've felt a little uncomfortable with in AA is that there are a couple of meetings I attend that end with The Lord's Prayer. However, if I focus on the intention behind it rather than its Christian origins, I feel OK about it.
I don't know if this is helpful, but Jesus was Jewish and the prayer doesn't mention Jesus being the messiah; I've also read that the prayer has it's roots in Judaism, for reasons I can't fully remember, but I'm sure a 'google' might help with that.

Here in the UK we only say the Serenity Prayer.
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)