Rough week

For recovery discussion
PossumFan
Forums Newcomer

Rough week

Post by PossumFan »

My name is Madeline and I'm an alcoholic. Have been having a rough week this past week. Granma, neice, uncle all in the hospital and to top it all off my ex's mom just passed away and the night before I had a premonition about her dying. All last week. To combat the stress, I hijacked the "emergency Jack" in my cabinet bedside table. For the past two nights (1 and 2 AM) I've gotten drunk. I know that's not the best way to deal with stress. I've contacted two friends in recovery, and they've helped. I did pour the rest of the bottle out this morning. I just don't know what else to do to ease the stress but taking it away with alcohol. I'm falling apart at the seams and I'm begging for help. :'(

Robert R
Forums Contributor

Re: Rough week

Post by Robert R »

Hi Madeline. Alcohol for me added nothing but chaos and guilt to lifes stresses. In fact I found that the bottle magnified the problems despite the supposed/imagined relief that I could so easily convince myself lay in intoxication.
Well done on reaching out for help, that is a good start.
Others will be along to add their Experience, Strength and Hope for you to tap into to help you face the challenges you currently face.

Robert
Don't know exactly where I am going but I'm on my way and it's already much better than where I've been.

4thDimension
Forums Enthusiast

Post by 4thDimension »

Madeline,

I'm sorry you're going through all of the family illnesses. That can cause a tremendous amount of stress.

I lost my mother, not quite 2 years ago. Those feelings were painful and they didn't go away for a long time. I immersed myself in meetings, talked about it, and actually got a therapist for a while. I may even go back for a little more therapy. I also tried to bolster my gratitude, read the Big Book, talk to my sponsor, and help others in the program. I felt a bit lousy for a while, but I didn't drink.

You can stop. Plug in the jug (well you threw it out, so GOOD for you). Go to a meeting everyday, two if you need it, get a sponsor, work the steps, get some gratitude, and if all that isn't enough...find some alcoholics to help.

Drinking never makes anything better; usually a lot worse. You can get through it.

ann2
Forums Old Timer

Post by ann2 »

Hi Madeline,

so glad you're posting here. That means you're open to another perspective. Alcoholics getting stuck in our "my way is the only way" thinking is the passport to doom.

Having said that, yes you are under a lot of life right now. I really really sympathize. Maybe you feel as if your emotions have a life of their own and will interfere with your being able to take care of the things needing your attention, or maybe you feel like there's nothing you can do to help. the thing is, you are important and your family needs you right now, if not to do anything, then to be sober. Be ready. Be available.

Running away is all we alkies know about coping. That's our default switch. The alternatives are simply unpractised or unlearned behaviors. But the information is in your nearest A.A. meeting and written in the Big Book.

Search out the answers, Madeline. I know you'll find them.

Big hugs,

ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada

Jaywalker Steve
Forums Long Timer

Post by Jaywalker Steve »

Please accept my thoughts and prayers for you and your family.

Drinking wasn't the problem. It was the solution to everything - joy, sorrow, success, failure and everything in between. The problem was I had no ability whatsoever to live sober. That was until God and AA showed me another way through the 12 Steps. The good news is they're available to you. The bad news is the process takes a little time. To get me through the rough times, I leaned on the Serenity Prayer as if my life depended on it. Looking back, it really did.
Every group has men and women who put too much thought and effort into their daily sobriety and not enough of themselves into their daily living. - Ed B., Akron, OH

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB »

Can I offer the words from A Vision For You? Page 152 of the Big Book. I hope you find the Hope I found in it's words.
I know I must get along without liquor, but how can I? Have you a sufficient substitute?"
Yes, there is a substitute and it is vastly more than that. It is a fellowship in Alcoholics Anonymous. There you will find release from care, boredom and worry. Your imagination will be fired. Life will mean something at last. The most satisfactory years of your existence lie ahead. Thus we find the fellowship, and so will you.
and another favorite that gives me a smile (pg 89)
Frequent contact with newcomers and with each other is the bright spot of our lives.
I hope you you and your family a few bright spots Today.
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 »

I'm falling apart at the seams and I'm begging for help. :'(
There is a solution.

Almost none of us liked the self- searching, the leveling of our pride, the confession of shortcomings which the process requires for its successful consummation. But we saw that it really worked in others, and we had come to believe in the hopelessness and futility of life as we had been living it. When, therefore, we were approached by those in whom the problem had been solved, there was nothing left for us but to pick up the simple kit of spiritual tools laid at out feet. We have found much of heaven and we have been rocketed into a fourth dimension of existence of which we had not even dreamed.

for people who are powerless, we need POWER and we get that by cleaning ourselves then we get connected to the power.
Show him the mental twist which leads to the first drink of a spree. We suggest you do this as we have done it in the chapter on alcoholism.(Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

tyg
Forums Contributor

Post by tyg »

Hi Madeline....

Tough times like these is when I went to more meetings. I prayed for guidance and help a lot. I talked to other people, in and out of AA a lot and let people know I was struggling. I asked for support and for other things I needed help with.I needed to take care of myself to be able to take care of others. I called my sponsor every day, sometimes several times. Went to meetings early, stayed a little later to help clean and set up. At meeting I didn't always talk about my troubles but being there and doing service helped. These things really worked for me during this awful time.

I had about 8 months of care giving for my dying grandparents. I was their legal guardian making a lot of tough decisions because couldn't take care of themselves anymore. They both had dementia, on feeding tubes and oxygen 247. My grandmother also had lung cancer. I live 3,000 miles from them so I had to uproot my life for awhile and move to the mainland to fulfill my obligations as guardianship.It was a very hectic time and tons of stuff to do but I hired caregivers and asked other family members to take watch while I went to a meeting every day. Hospice also came in for a couple hours and other nursing assistance in the home so I took advantage of them being there and went to meetings or coffee with someone for support.

Sure is a tough time for you but you can get through it. Know, day by day things will pass and get a little better, even though it doesn't seem so. You have all the support you will need in the AA Fellowship it just takes taking advantage of it.

You and your ohana are in my prayers
~The secret to the AA program is the first three words on page 112~

PossumFan
Forums Newcomer

Post by PossumFan »

Thank you everyone. I'm doing a lot better today. Went to bed clean and sober last night. Odd, but very nice feeling to not wake up with a hangover or any regrets. Did not get to go to an f2f meeting today, cuz mom took my car to town. Went to a video meeting tonight, though. Going to read out of the BB app and do some journaling before bed tonight. :)

ann2
Forums Old Timer

Post by ann2 »

I am so happy to read this Madeline! Thank you so much for the update. Wonderful, wonderful! :D

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB »

Great news! You might look up some XA Speakers online too!

Have a GREAT new day!
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB