Having a open Mind!

For recovery discussion
avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Having a open Mind!

Post by avaneesh912 »

Most emhpatically we wish to say that any alcoholic capable of honestly facing his problems in the light of our experience can recover provided he does not close his mind to all spiritual concepts. He can only be defeated by an attitude of intolerance or belligerent denial.

For those of you are not familiar with the big book:

This is from the Appendix II that Bill W added after the initial publication of the big book where he had to elaborate his "spiritual experience" idea all you need is little bit of willingness and not shut youself with pre-conceived idea about these religious terminology.
Show him the mental twist which leads to the first drink of a spree. We suggest you do this as we have done it in the chapter on alcoholism.(Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

Jaywalker Steve
Forums Long Timer

Re: Having a open Mind!

Post by Jaywalker Steve »

avaneesh912 wrote:He can only be defeated by an attitude of intolerance or belligerent denial.
This attitude nearly killed me. I wanted nothing to do with'your'God, prayers, Steps and service work. All I wanted to do was quit drinking and keep breath in my lungs. Needless to say that being dry really magnified the spiritual malady that is alcoholism and the life or death nature of our plan of action.

Never grateful enough,
Steve
Every group has men and women who put too much thought and effort into their daily sobriety and not enough of themselves into their daily living. - Ed B., Akron, OH

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 »

Needless to say that being dry really magnified the spiritual malady
We are a small percentage of people who are talking about the state of mind after we put down the drink. Maybe we could call it a minority among minority. Thats is why I was able to identify with Chris R when I ran into his talk (fortunately early in my recovery) who talks about how he acts without alcohol and with alcohol (just in his hands) at a seven eleven store. For majority of them in AA today, its the amount of alcohol we drink (the craving part) after we succumb to the "queer mental twist".
Show him the mental twist which leads to the first drink of a spree. We suggest you do this as we have done it in the chapter on alcoholism.(Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB »

For majority of them
I don't think it is fair to say majority, unless you are talking about the majority of people in your area.

This does not apply to the AA I know. And I have heard Chris R. in person w/ Meyers R, & JC Myers who did a BB workshop in our city in 2013.
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB

Service
Forums Contributor

Post by Service »

Having a open Mind!

Postby avaneesh912 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:06 am
Most emhpatically we wish to say that any alcoholic capable of honestly facing his problems in the light of our experience can recover provided he does not close his mind to all spiritual concepts. He can only be defeated by an attitude of intolerance or belligerent denial.

Our description of the alcoholic, the chapter to the
agnostic, and our personal adventures before and after
make clear three pertinent ideas:
(a)
That we were alcoholic and could not manage
our own lives.
(b)
That probably no human power could have re­
lieved our alcoholism.
(c)
That God could and would if He were sought.

A.A's Pertinent ideas not someones pertin-eer idea - lol

tyg
Forums Contributor

Post by tyg »

“To be doomed to an alcoholic death or to live on a spiritual basis are not always easy alternatives to face.” P. 44

Hmmmm, which one should I choose? It should have been a no brainer decision, but I was pretty determined to find my own solution to my drink problem.
Alcoholism...cunning, baffling, powerful!
~The secret to the AA program is the first three words on page 112~

Robert R
Forums Contributor

Post by Robert R »

Finally I chose the easier, softer way and gave myself over to this simple programme with an open mind. Herbert Spencer p568 helped a great deal in respect of opening my eyes and ears to a way other than my own. Thank you avaneesh for this thread.
Don't know exactly where I am going but I'm on my way and it's already much better than where I've been.

Db1105
Forums Contributor

Post by Db1105 »

avaneesh912 wrote:Most emhpatically we wish to say that any alcoholic capable of honestly facing his problems in the light of our experience can recover provided he does not close his mind to all spiritual concepts. He can only be defeated by an attitude of intolerance or belligerent denial.

This is from the Appendix II that Bill W added after the initial publication of the big book where he had to elaborate his "spiritual experience" idea all you need is little bit of willingness and not shut youself with pre-conceived idea about these religious terminology.

"For those of you are not familiar with the big book"

All those who are not familiar with the Big Book raise their hand.

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 »

All those who are not familiar with the Big Book raise their hand.
You are acting like a guided misile. LOL. There are people who have seen the book but never used it.

No.3
Forums Enthusiast

It's fairly easy to claim you have an Open Mind...

Post by No.3 »

... but the claim rings hollow when you prescribe to everyone your exclusive and self-righteous perspective on the BB:
avaneesh912 wrote:There are people who have seen the book but never used it.
fwiw I don't trust you as the Judge of who hasn't. You aren't even aware we can write our own Step 3 prayer? I would refer you to p.63 in the BB, and what you yourself wrote recently:
This guy is going through identify crisis. Tried hard to not work the 12 steps but failed I guess. Now he wants to put a spin on every step. I do the 3rd step this way and the inventory not based on the big book but some other way.
Your opinion is yours, fair enough, every AA is entitled to be wrong. But I must say: it's a disgrace on you (and the site, that it's encouraged), not I. You apparently don't know how I use the BB or the Step 3 prayer - so what does that say about your admonition we have to "keep an open mind" again?

This thread is rich with irony.
"The Group demands total loyalty to the inner group. Some have had to leave the movement because of the Groups' demands which conflict with truth or duty." The Oxford Groups by Herbert H. Henson, 1933, pages 73-74.

No.3
Forums Enthusiast

Misattribution: Wm Paley, not H Spencer

Post by No.3 »

Robert R wrote:Herbert Spencer p568 helped a great deal in respect of opening my eyes and ears to a way other than my own.
Hi Robert,
Thank Ray Campbell or William Paley. This is one of the many errors in the BB, although it wasn't an original mistake and it came later. Like avaneesh's purported "Einstein quote," it's someone else's.
"The Group demands total loyalty to the inner group. Some have had to leave the movement because of the Groups' demands which conflict with truth or duty." The Oxford Groups by Herbert H. Henson, 1933, pages 73-74.

Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Re: Misattribution: Wm Paley, not H Spencer

Post by Tosh »

No.3 wrote:
Robert R wrote:Herbert Spencer p568 helped a great deal in respect of opening my eyes and ears to a way other than my own.
Hi Robert,
Thank Ray Campbell or William Paley. This is one of the many errors in the BB, although it wasn't an original mistake and it came later. Like avaneesh's purported "Einstein quote," it's someone else's.
Just recently I read a bit about about a philosophy called 'American Pragmatism' and the gist of it (or at least my understanding of it) seems to be that *something* doesn't stand or fall on it's basis in reality, but much depends upon it's transformative effect.

I've also read that H Spencer didn't pen that quote, but does it really matter if it can help someone?
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 »

You apparently don't know how I use the BB or the Step 3 prayer
Its not in the saying, its in understanding the essence of the prayer and implementing it. And I saw that you think (3rd step) is where the ego deflation happens. It does not. For some who are conscious it happens when they write their inventory, for others it happens when they let another person in and look at the inventory.

In the other thread I have already mentioned, I know my purpose and I have posted several other times how I align myself with Gods will.

And because of having a open mind, I am now able to appreciate the works of Eckhart Tolle which majorly helped me transcend my own egoic-mind and others. I enjoy the drama that unfolds. I sometimes push buttons and see how things unfolds.

No.3
Forums Enthusiast

Closed Mind, Little Well Frog

Post by No.3 »

avaneesh912 wrote:And I saw that you think (3rd step) is where the ego deflation happens. It does not. For some who are conscious it happens when they write their inventory, for others it happens when they let another person in and look at the inventory. ... And because of having a open mind, I am now able to appreciate the works of Eckhart Tolle which majorly helped me transcend my own egoic-mind and others. I enjoy the drama that unfolds. I sometimes push buttons and see how things unfolds.
No, you don't know when someone's Ego-deflation occurs. (I know, because I don't! What do I know?*) For some it may be at the moment of surrender - 'I am an alcoholic! I need help!' - for others at Step 3, for others at Step 5 and so on... for some, it may not occur at all: we call them bleating deacons.

*Your "transcendence" looks as bogus as that Einstein quote, ya know?

Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Post by Tosh »

avaneesh912 wrote: And because of having a open mind, I am now able to appreciate the works of Eckhart Tolle which majorly helped me transcend my own egoic-mind and others. I enjoy the drama that unfolds. I sometimes push buttons and see how things unfolds.
The ego is quite capable of dropping one set of clothes in exchange for another. It's still all ego though.

I also find that an 'open mind' is still closed to many things. I prefer to have a discerning mind because there's some things that I'm just not open minded about, as the Jehovah's Witnesses find out when they knock on my door and I politely tell them "No thank you!"
Last edited by Tosh on Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)