AA request??

For recovery discussion
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Re: AA request??

Post by ezdzit247 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:07 pm

Tosh wrote:
Lali wrote:I'm the speaker seeker for my home group. I simply ask people if they want to speak and if they say no, I go ask someone else. And everybody's happy!
There are the occasional A.A. members that share that they never refuse to do service or share when they're asked. I actually followed suit and did this for a period and I posted about the resultant resentment I ended up with here. I was pretty much doing all of the service at my homegroup (honestly; no exaggeration) and the coffee at another, plus ferrying drunks all over the place.

When I whined to my sponsor about what a lazy flippin' bunch of gimps my homegroup members were, he gave me some sound advice. He said that I'm not allowed to have resentments, that I should have ONE homegroup, and ONE service job and that I need to speak to my homegroup. I did. I like clear-cut advice.

The only time I refuse to share is if the distance is too great - because of financial reasons (my family do not need to suffer because of my A.A. commitments) - and that I know there's plenty of other A.A.s in the area.
LOL About those "lazy flippin' bunch of gimps" in your homegroup, I think a few of their cousins might have emigrated and found their way to my homegroup. It sure sounds like my "bunch" is from the same gene pool as your "bunch"! I agree with your sponsors advice. Resentments are far better to give than receive...
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Lali
Forums Old Timer

Post by Lali » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:35 pm

Tosh wrote:
Lali wrote:I'm the speaker seeker for my home group. I simply ask people if they want to speak and if they say no, I go ask someone else. And everybody's happy!
The only time I refuse to share is if the distance is too great - because of financial reasons (my family do not need to suffer because of my A.A. commitments) - and that I know there's plenty of other A.A.s in the area.
Tosh, are you available a week from Saturday? Does a commitment in the U.S. fall into the "distance is too great" category?.... :mrgreen:
Step 1: I can't
Step 2: He can
Step 3: I think I'll let him

Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Post by Tosh » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:50 am

Lali wrote:
Tosh wrote:
Tosh, are you available a week from Saturday? Does a commitment in the U.S. fall into the "distance is too great" category?.... :mrgreen:
I'd love to, but alas...

Shaunagus, a member here and from my homegroup, is currently in New York as we speak. Is that near you? :lol:
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)

Lali
Forums Old Timer

Post by Lali » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:10 pm

Aaah, New York, the city that never sleeps. No, he's probably 8 hours north of me!

ann2
Forums Old Timer

Post by ann2 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:18 am

Tosh, are you available a week from Saturday? Does a commitment in the U.S. fall into the "distance is too great" category?....
And that's the way a speaker bookie works!

Nice Lali! :-)

Hugs,

ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada

Joe H
Forums Long Timer

Post by Joe H » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:54 am

I believe, we as the fellowship of AA makes only one request of ourselves and that is to please follow the Traditions.

For many years I have when ever possible tried to be there when asked to share my experiences, strength and hope. It is how I repay those who shared themselves with me when I first came to AA.

For me it is an honor and a privilege to be asked to share, while at the same time deeply humbling. Humbling because it is the reverse of the way things were in the beginning. I did not learn by speaking, I learned by listening.

I don't believe anyone asks me to share my message, I am asked to share the message of A.A.. I gladly do it because that message saved my life.

Thanks for letting me share,
joe

ann2
Forums Old Timer

Post by ann2 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:24 am

Hi Joe, nice to see you :)

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada

Joe H
Forums Long Timer

Post by Joe H » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:29 am

Thank you, Ann

It is good to be seen and good seeing some old friends.

And warm greetings to you, Ann.

joe

Lali
Forums Old Timer

Post by Lali » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:11 am

Nicely put. Joe