Returning to the scene of the crime

For recovery discussion
Sweeney
Forums Enthusiast

Returning to the scene of the crime

Post by Sweeney » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:35 pm

Not sure how to start this.

I've been around AA almost 2 1/2 years. I got a sponsor and started working the program at the end of August. Between that time and this I've travelled to the other side of the planet, found another sponsor and continued on my path of recovery. The thing is my visa will expire in a few weeks. I have to return home for health reasons and as grounded as I feel on my recovery I am a little bit anxious about returning "home". Not for the old haunts or the temptation of my friends drinking as many of them are "normal" drinkers and most of my drinking was a solitary affair. The fear is I didn't stay sober at home in the past but then again I wasn't working the program for a long time (those of you who are good at maths may have worked out that I'm almost 7 months in to my recovery) it's this change that I have more faith in than the fear I may pick up.

I just felt like I needed to share that somewhere. It'll work if I work it.

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Re: Returning to the scene of the crime

Post by avaneesh912 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:07 pm

If you are honest and have figured out the selfish, self-centered character defects and are diligently working to overcome those and practicing the principles in all your affairs then the power you get connected will keep you sober.

You will reap the benefit of working the program. Sobriety is given as long as you do the work.

And we have ceased fighting anything or anyone, even alcohol. For by this time sanity will have returned. We will seldom be interested in liquor. If tempted, we recoil from it as from a hot flame. We react sanely and normally, and we will find that this has happened automatically. We will see that our new attitude toward liquor has been given us without any thought or effort on our part. It just comes! That is the miracle of it. We are not fighting it, neither are we avoiding temptation. We feel as though we had been placed in a position of neutrality safe and protected. We have not even sworn off. Instead, the problem has been removed. It does not exist for us. We are neither cocky nor are we afraid. That is how we react so long as we keep in fit spiritual condition.
Show him the mental twist which leads to the first drink of a spree. We suggest you do this as we have done it in the chapter on alcoholism.(Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

becksdad
Forums Long Timer

Post by becksdad » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:47 pm

Hi Sweeney! Wherever you go, keep doing what you're doing! Get another sponsor, go to meetings, put the steps into your life. Help another drunk.

I have heard that the original draft of the Big Book, in the chapter "How It Works" read.... "Never have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path." instead of "rarely have we seen...." At any rate, I know it will work no matter where you are!

Wishing you the best, friend! Oh, and stay connected with us here at E-AA, too!

Just a question, if you don't mind..... are you Aussie? You use some terminology that my wife uses, and she is from Australia.

Ed

scottoir
Forums Newcomer

Post by scottoir » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:30 am

Now that you have the tools to live a sober life, returning home is undoubtedly an opportunty and not a problem. Our anxieties are useful signost for potential growth. The fact that exists is a message that you will grow spiritually as a result of clearing out all the skeletons for the old closet and moving on. Our home, is by its very nature, somewhere we can feel safe and not feel fearful. When I returned home to UK after 10 years away, I was full of fear. Each place, person and thing I have tried to face with love. Your return is a blessing - it will enable you to move forward spiritually. Stay very close to the rooms and you will amaze yourself. Afterall , people don't care about our drining as much as we tend to assume. The catastrophic assumption are but a sympton of our stinking thinking. Go home, enjoy the opportunity for others to see you well. Spread the word.

ann2
Forums Old Timer

Post by ann2 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:54 am

Welcome scottoir, thanks for sharing, great to have you here.

Thanks for sharing, Sweeney, hope you let us know how it goes here. I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised :-)

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada

Sweeney
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Sweeney » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:07 am

Thanks everyone for the supportive words.

*Ed to answer your question nope I am not Australian but English I have spent 11 f the last 12 months in Aus though.