New Sponsor

For recovery discussion
Sweeney
Forums Enthusiast

New Sponsor

Post by Sweeney »

Not sure if this is on the correct board but I. The sure I'll be redirected if so.

I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for continuing working the programme with a new sponsor, I left my home a few months ago and have since been attending regular meetings and have just asked a member to be my sponsor. The question I'd like some advice on is I have already started to work the steps with my sponsor back home, will I have to begin again with my new sponsor or will I be able to pick up where I "stalled" as I have been reading the 12x12 on the steps I was about to work on before I left.

Thanks for any input

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Re: New Sponsor

Post by avaneesh912 »

That depends on the new sponsor you are working with. Usually the new sponsor would want to start all over again. BTW, try to work the steps off the Big book for specific clear cut direction. If you go off the 12 and 12 you will not get a perspective on when to work the steps.
Show him the mental twist which leads to the first drink of a spree. We suggest you do this as we have done it in the chapter on alcoholism.(Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB »

My sponsor starts at the beginning with all new sponsees, even if they have 20 years of sobriety. She says it is a great way to get to know one another.

I have "stalled" before... have the same sponsor but we went back a bit to make sure I had Steps 6 & 7 really complete and then moved in the Big Book and the Steps.

Keep coming back!
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB

Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Post by Tosh »

Yeh, they'll probably start from the beginning. Apart from being thorough, another benefits of this is that you get a chance to develop a relationship with your sponsor; it makes it easier at Step 5 when it comes to our 'long chat'.
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)

Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Post by Tosh »

Paige already mentioned that; sorry! :mrgreen:
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)

Blue Moon
Forums Old Timer

Post by Blue Moon »

Sweeney wrote:Not sure if this is on the correct board but I. The sure I'll be redirected if so.

I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for continuing working the programme with a new sponsor, I left my home a few months ago and have since been attending regular meetings and have just asked a member to be my sponsor. The question I'd like some advice on is I have already started to work the steps with my sponsor back home, will I have to begin again with my new sponsor or will I be able to pick up where I "stalled" as I have been reading the 12x12 on the steps I was about to work on before I left.

Thanks for any input
I would always start from the beginning. I'd want to ensure you've nailed Step 1.

If you have, you'll skip through pretty quickly. If not, taking a little more time to debunk some myths could save your life.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon

Sweeney
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Sweeney »

Thanks for all the input guys n gals. I am glad to be starting again as I have recently lost my focus although been attending regular meetings my recovery has waned somewhat.

Glad to be back on my path of recovery

johnd
Forums Long Timer

Post by johnd »

Welcome Sweeney,
You are taking the right course of action as was metioned it is always good to start fresh besides it becomes important to continue our study of the steps, Our recovery never ends and our maintaince is vital. So glad to see you here online and taking your recovery seriously. So many times I have heard folks change their living situations they get away from their responsibilty of keeping sober.
Thanks for being here John D.
Last edited by johnd on Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans- Anonymous

Tommy-S
Forums Old Timer

Post by Tommy-S »

Hi Sweeney.

Forget the arm-chair quarterbacks, and just ask your sponsor. He should, based on his experience, be able to direct you based on what he has done.

And if he doesn't know, he better be asking his sponsor what his experience is...simple :)

Thanks... Tommy
Together, we don't have to cave in or wimp out to that Fatal First One, no matter what today!

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 »

Sarcasm is one of the character defects. Hopefully everyone understands that.
Show him the mental twist which leads to the first drink of a spree. We suggest you do this as we have done it in the chapter on alcoholism.(Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)