Alcohol in food?!?

For recovery discussion
Sweeney
Forums Enthusiast

Alcohol in food?!?

Post by Sweeney »

I'm just wondering about this as last night I had a chocolate mousse dessert and as I was tucking in to my 3rd one (they were small) I was informed that they had sherry in them.

I stopped eating immediately but how does this effect my recovery? I did want more desert but I do not have the desire to pick up a drink.

I know that I will have to be more careful in future but it has just been playing in the back of my mind all day.

Tommy-S
Forums Old Timer

Re: Alcohol in food?!?

Post by Tommy-S »

Hi Sweeney.

I understand that if heated, Alcohol has a tendency to evaporate at about 165 degrees, but having no idea how they make that dessert, so you may want to talk to the cook.

Personally, I stay away from anything cooked with Alcohol, as though I enjoy eating, there is nothing I wish to eat that might be worth going back to where I came from.

It's certainly something to speak with your Sponsor about.

Thanks !
Together, we don't have to cave in or wimp out to that Fatal First One, no matter what today!

Jaywalker Steve
Forums Long Timer

Post by Jaywalker Steve »

The phenomena of craving is so strong for me, I don't want to 'test' to see what will set it off. That said, I stay away from everything with alcohol in it including medicine, mouthwash and food. If I accidentally or unknowingly consume alcohol (in a dessert or pick up the wrong glass), what I do next is important. Do I 'accidentally' take another sip or bite; or do I walk away, say a prayer and talk it over with another drunk? One is a relapse, the other isn't, IMHO.
Every group has men and women who put too much thought and effort into their daily sobriety and not enough of themselves into their daily living. - Ed B., Akron, OH

Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Post by Mike O »

Jaywalker Steve wrote: Do I 'accidentally' take another sip or bite; or do I walk away, say a prayer and talk it over with another drunk? One is a relapse, the other isn't, IMHO.
Absolutely. This is the very heart of the matter.
Thanks
:D

jimbo d
Forums Enthusiast

Post by jimbo d »

I ordered a Ice Coffee at a resturant at about a year sober, it had Kahalua in it, I did not know. I took a drink, and swallowed. Immediatly I realized I had took a drink of alcohol. I got up, went to the pay phone and called my sponsor, he laughed. He said did you refuse the drink. I said yes, He said, did you call me. I said yes, He said did you pray. I said yes. He said did you have the strange insanity before the first drink. I said no, He said do you want a another drink. I said no. He said, good. Your still recovering.

He then explained the idea that It's thinking that's the problem. You did not have insane thoughts, you did not crave more. He explained that God still was keeping from drinking more. And that God and God alone is the only thing that can prevent that. So if I am not having insane thoughts or craving more.... God is working. And let God work.

mjohns451
Forums Enthusiast

Post by mjohns451 »

Agreed Jimbo, it is the mindset that matters. Sometimes crazy things happen like that and the only thing that makes the difference is how you react to the situation.

Blue Moon
Forums Old Timer

Post by Blue Moon »

Sweeney wrote:I'm just wondering about this as last night I had a chocolate mousse dessert and as I was tucking in to my 3rd one (they were small) I was informed that they had sherry in them.

I stopped eating immediately but how does this effect my recovery? I did want more desert but I do not have the desire to pick up a drink.

I know that I will have to be more careful in future but it has just been playing in the back of my mind all day.
I never got drunk on a plate of spaghetti. It's all down to motives - and in the early days, it can be difficult to figure out what those really are. Alcoholics relapse after experimenting with "Near Beer" ... this is not because of the "near" but because of the "beer" - the motive is to get the effect, not to quench thirst or enjoy the taste.

When I first moved to the USA, I avoided "apple cider" because, where I come from, there's no such thing as "cider" that is free of alcohol (we call the alcohol-free version "apple juice"). Conversely, I'd never heard of "O'Douls" until quite a while after I quit drinking, so have no mental association of that with either drinking alcohol or altering my internal state of reality.

Today, I really don't like that old feeling of losing control, even some allergy meds are a "last resort" thing - not because I fear the reaction, but because I don't like it. Contrast with the old days when I used to literally live for such an effect!

Bottom line: it's not what you've got, but what you try to to with it.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon

MyNameisVictor
Forums Contributor

Post by MyNameisVictor »

Hi Sweeney,

If you didn't know, then it's okay. You put it down and that was it. The fact that you're worried about it is a good thing. It doesn't mean you have to start your day count over.

When it comes to food cooked in alcohol, I heard someone say that they try to replace the word "alcohol" with the word "arsenic." If a waiter told you that your entree was cooked in arsenic, "but don't worry, the arsenic burned out during the cooking process," would you still want to eat it? That's all I'm saying.

God bless,
Victor
"They said a miracle would happen on my 90th day of sobriety, and it did happen...I was sober."
-Anonymous from the Trinity Group of AA in NYC

Tommy-S
Forums Old Timer

Post by Tommy-S »

Great analogy, Victor. Having only a little arsenic, or even a slight trace, is still arsenic... And Alcohol is a poison for someone like me :)

And questions & concerns are certainly something to talk to one's sponsor about.

Thanks... Tommy
Together, we don't have to cave in or wimp out to that Fatal First One, no matter what today!

MyNameisVictor
Forums Contributor

Post by MyNameisVictor »

Tommy_S wrote:And Alcohol is a poison for someone like me :)
You and me both, Tommy! :lol:
"They said a miracle would happen on my 90th day of sobriety, and it did happen...I was sober."
-Anonymous from the Trinity Group of AA in NYC

Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Post by Tosh »

Early on in sobriety, I didn't know cough medicine contained alcohol. Anyway, I had a bad cough (probably caused by smoking) so I got a bottle of cough medicine - and being a rough kinda chap - I don't bother with measuring spoons; I just swig it from the medicine bottle.

Anyway, a few minutes later - rather unthinkingly - I took another swig. It was right beside me on my desk. I then took another swig and a little light came on; it was moreish. I looked at the bottle and saw 'ethanol' (alcohol) on the label. **sigh**. I called Mrs Tosh, explained what happened, and poured the lot down the sink. I didn't just want to pour it down the sink without some accountability, and I was worried that Mrs Tosh may accuse me of drinking it all. It was early in sobriety - she trusts me 100% now; booze in the house 'n' all that.

And despite Mrs Tosh jokingly demanding that I "Adjust my sobriety date", I didn't; it was an accident; and when I found out, I took action and chucked it.

I don't smoke either now! :mrgreen:
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)

ann2
Forums Old Timer

Post by ann2 »

Reminds me of my reaction to a sip of communion wine, Tosh. It hit me like a racing train.

I have to make sure it's juice nowadays!

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada