travelling in sobriety

For recovery discussion
Squawking Hawk
Forums Old Timer

travelling in sobriety

Post by Squawking Hawk »

I'm going to be traveling the next few days, away from my home f2f meetings and away from easy access to the internet. I learned a long time ago that I need to keep up with my meetings while I am traveling. Fortunately, I am going somewhere where I have been before so I know where the f2f meetings are. If I did not, all I would need to do is go to http://www.aa.org and go to the how to find meetings tab while I have internet access.

I can still access the public sections of this forum when and if I happen upon a wireless hotspot.

Squawking Hawk

P.S. for the mods, if I am posting this in the wrong forum, I trust the mods to move it to the correct forum
Ms. Hawk

I will never forget

Tommy-S
Forums Old Timer

Re: travelling in sobriety

Post by Tommy-S »

Great Idea...

I always check for the meetings at my destination BEFORE I leave, so I know where to go. It's part of my pre-flight check list :)

And I just look forward to meeting more friends I didn't know I had.

Safe journey!
Together, we don't have to cave in or wimp out to that Fatal First One, no matter what today!

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB »

I like the topic as a discussion, but another mod might want to move it - doesn't much matter really.

I know I was terrified to go out of town. It was just me & my hubby and I didn't figure to leave him alone to travel to a meeting at all while I was gone. I had e-aa most of the time (net access can be spotty) and I knew that I could find a meeting using google to search aa + city + state. Gotta be careful though and pick "good" addresses that look like they belong to the local aa district. Most phone books will have an AA Hotline listed.

Farthest I have gone and actually went to a meeting was next state over, from my mom's place in Wisconsin. She refuses to move back to Iowa, so I figure as she ages I may be spending more time there - on my laptop and in the club house a few miles from her home.

Enjoy your time Hawk - I love seeing how meetings can be autonomous and still work!
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB

Squawking Hawk
Forums Old Timer

Post by Squawking Hawk »

I like the topic as a discussion, but another mod might want to move it - doesn't much matter really.
I have no problem with the topic being moved, and if someone does so, please send me a pm and let me know why you are moving it. That way I can know for next time.

Squawking Hawk
Ms. Hawk

I will never forget

MitchellK
Forums Enthusiast

Post by MitchellK »

The problem I found with on-line meeting lists, especially the ones listed at aa.org is that they are usually out of date about an hour after they are put on-line. Updates on these are not very often and usually when a group moves or breaks up, no one bothers to notify the on-line folks - especially aa.org.

I remember one night looking on-line for a meeting, drove 35 minutes in the rain and there was no meeting at the location. I asked someone at the church and they told me there hadn't been a meeting there for over a year. This happens all the time. I prefer grabbing a local phone book and looking up an AA number and calling to see where the nearest meeting is. If there is no AA line, there may be a local treatment center or one a few towns over. They usually have a referral list for their clients. worst case scenario I've done is go to or call the local police or state police and asked them if they knew where the local AA meetings were. Most of them had a phone number to call for a local AA member they called when they came across a drunk they didn't want to lock up.

Somehow, relying on an on-line anything for something as important as a meeting (if you really need a meeting at that moment) would be like playing pin the tail on the donkey. You're not exactly sure where you are going to end up.

I keep asking Spammer to remove the web page for my old home group which hasn't existed for over 15 years. The page is really a nice one for one of the first pages I made. I don't have any of the info (password etc) because it was from so long ago. I'm sure someone has come across that page in the last 15+ years and followed the directions to the meeting. No one was there because the meeting doesn't exist.

Call the local AA service structure BEFORE you travel, get a local up-to-date list and even then who knows. My local Intergroup newsletter from July announced a new meeting on Wednesday nights. I decided that since that particular night was Dr. Bob's birthday I would go to a meeting. When I got there no meeting was to be found. I called the office number listed in the newsletter and they guessed the group stopped meeting because no one showed up a couple of times. Even so-called current information can be wrong.

If you can, call a live human being who actually goes to meetings and find out some real meetings to go to.

Squawking Hawk
Forums Old Timer

Post by Squawking Hawk »

I've read some good suggestions about how to get meeting resources while you are traveling.

For the record, the link that I provided will eventually lead you to local resources for AA meetings. I checked out the one for the State that I am going to. And since I am somewhat familiar with the local meetings near the town that I go to, I can say that the meeting list seemed reasonably up to date. And you can a telephone number to call as well.It is a place to start. And I can also the same thing for the meeting list provided by the AA Area where I live.

Of course, I can't say the same for elsewhere or outside the U.S. Which is why it is good to find a telephone number of the local AA office where you will be traveling

Squawking Hawk
Ms. Hawk

I will never forget

MitchellK
Forums Enthusiast

Post by MitchellK »

Something else to remember - If you are traveling outside the US (if you are from the US), make sure the meeting is an English speaking meeting unless you speak the other language.

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB »

My district makes sure that the meeting list is as up to date as possible, on a monthly basis. This is far more up to date than meeting lists that were printed by the 1000's, "in the days before technology". Now each group can go to the website and print off what they need when they need them!

This is all about helping the still suffering alcoholic. As someone in recovery, it might be good for me to just "know" that AA is everywhere, even if I can't find it. I feel for groups that are forced to fold - up & gone - so quickly. A resentment & a coffee pot are NOT all it takes to keep the doors open on a meeting. I attend a meeting on Friday nights that suffered a riff between members over the pretty large numbers of treatment patients that came in. Many of the patients did not identify exclusively as alcoholic and some only as "addict". A large closed meeting with many sober members struggled in their group conscience about how to handle their situation - should they Open the meeting?

I attended a meeting where one member spoke his mind outside the business meeting & IN the meeting itself. It was not very pretty, he was belligerently angry and looked every bit the raging alcoholic. I have been there - I know that kind of anger - but there were new comers present, the very people he raged against were in the room. At some point the Chair stopped him but it was too late for me. I didn't go back for a long time. When I did, there were about 8 people there, 2 with good sobriety (I made 3) a couple gals from a treatment center up the street, a couple NA/AA people and a guy from out of town. It was now an Open meeting. As I continued to come, I saw that one gal was always the Chair and there was sometimes an overwhelming ratio of treatment patient to sobriety. When I became a GSR I saw her at the GSR meeting and she told me she was GSR, Treasurer, Keyholder... everything, has been for years. (I think at the time of this writing, one of the other member has taken the treasurer position). At the District/Area levels we need to have treatment patients get to any AA meeting, but the group CAN suffer if a bus load arrives... it turns into a "how my week went" meeting.

But let's get back to the guy from out of town... What if the door had been locked?
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB

ann2
Forums Old Timer

Post by ann2 »

We're pretty easy on where topics are posted for the most part I think. In fact the different forums are sometimes a bit of a difficult navigation for some, so it's kind of a pity we have so many different areas. On the other hand, we are I am grateful to say a very active bbs and it's not without need that we offer different areas for posting. The forum titles are really there to encourage and inspire, not to regulate. so post away! the chances of being moved are fairly slim I would say.

but on to the topic -- it was a huge deal for me to visit an AA meeting in English during a vacation. now that I can understand Swedish better I don't need the f2f contact when abroad so much, although I always dream of hearing "Friends of Bill W. meeting by Gate 14" when in the airport :-) (read about that once in the Grapevine).

Nowadays I use my offline time for some intensive higher power contact. Good to have the books and my knees along for the trip.

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada

Sweeney
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Sweeney »

I'm having this issue atm. I've now left the UK (and all my regular meetings) and I'm 500km from the nearest meeting. Just got a dongle so I now have limited internet access so I will be able to get on here every now and again.

Just a note regarding only attending meetings in Egngish, I only speak English and a little Mandarin but I found myself in Kuala Lumpur last year and really needed a meeting but the only one on was in Farsi and even though I didn't understand a word of the shares I felt so much better after attending and I went for a coffee with a few members after (they spoke English then) the meeting. So in my experience attending non-English speaking meetings doesn't mean you can't attend or get something from it.