Sobriety vs Recovery

For recovery discussion
Sweeney
Forums Enthusiast

Sobriety vs Recovery

Post by Sweeney »

In my first post here I noted that I was 6 1/2 months sober. I had been attending regular meetings in Australia and at the time knew "something" was missing having been around the rooms for around a year and a half at the time I had identified with a lot of stuff but the rooms in Australia were not the same. I believed that the people there had sobriety but many appeared to be wound up, angry and some maybe a little high on something other than life. When I returned to the UK a little over 5 weeks ago I got to a meeting and realised after the shares that the people here had good recovery and were "working" the programme of recovery.

I quickly found a sponsor and after being asked to consider the full implications of step 1 I went out and tested it. That was the wrong choice and my acloholism had progressed as I had heard it would. Since the end of that last drink (27/08) I feel "better" quicker and feel that I am finally at the start of my recovery because of this and other things that have happened in this past week.

So I guess the main point of this post is that I am choosing recovery over sobriety today because in my experience I can have sobriety without recovery but I cannot have recovery without sobriety.

Any thoughts?

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Re: Sobriety vs Recovery

Post by avaneesh912 »

if we work the 12 steps, we will have both.
Show him the mental twist which leads to the first drink of a spree. We suggest you do this as we have done it in the chapter on alcoholism.(Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Post by leejosepho »

Sweeney wrote:...
So I guess the main point of this post is that I am choosing recovery over sobriety today because in my experience I can have sobriety without recovery but I cannot have recovery without sobriety.

Any thoughts?
Agreed, completely! Abstinence can be achieved for a time without recovery, but recovery can produce a lasting sobriety.
=======================
"We A.A.s do not *stay* away from drinking [one day at a
time] -- we *grow* away from drinking [one day at a time]."
("Lois Remembers", page 168, quoting Bill, emphasis added)
=======================

Tommy-S
Forums Old Timer

Post by Tommy-S »

Hi Sweeney,

Good to see you again, and congrats on making it back. Too many have gone out for one more, only to have Alcohol mangle & torture them. We don't shoot our wounded, and many of us who are Not First-Time winners, are successful because we are Not quitters... we keep trying.

We could also title this: Action versus no Action

I found out that to get what they had, I had to DO what they did... As they taught me, that's the reason the Big Book chapter wasn't titled "Into Thinking... or Into Talking, or Into Feeling. It's called "Into Action" as Action is the Magic Word.

We could also title it: Being In AA versus being Around AA.

They taught me get in the middle of the bed... I'd be less likely to roll off.

Keep in the middle, and keep taking that Action, and keep sharing.

Welcome home...Together we get better.

Thanks,

Tommy
Together, we don't have to cave in or wimp out to that Fatal First One, no matter what today!

Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Post by Mike O »

avaneesh912 wrote:if we work the 12 steps, we will have both.
Absolutely.
:D

Sally
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Sally »

the other day i read on another venue of e-aa.org that
the Big Book is like a cookbook- you can read it forever-
but you have to DO what it suggested- same with meetings-
i can attend daily--- but if i don't work the steps- my *sobriety*
becomes being dry- not sober. to me there is a big difference-
i like being a happy alcoholic- not an angry bitter disgruntled
one- Glad you found us- you help me!!
Sally

Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Post by Mike O »

kettle wrote:the other day i read on another venue of e-aa.org that
the Big Book is like a cookbook- you can read it forever-
but you have to DO what it suggested...
Sally
Yes, indeed. The Big Book was the way the founding group chose to pass on their experience to as great a number of people as possible. It contains the 12 steps which must be "done" ( for want of a better word). There is little, if anything, to be gained for the alcoholic in the long term by simply reading the book without working the steps.