Highest Position in AA!

For recovery discussion

Highest Position in AA!

Postby Brock » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:48 am

We needed a new volunteer to be coffee maker, I was disappointed when a member with many years of sobriety said -
I've been here too long to be making coffee.

Someone else volunteered, and the following week a new neatly made sign was seen on the notice board, put up by an unknown member, it said -
AA is about the only outfit, where you graduate from coffee maker to chairperson, then back to coffee maker.

The person who felt they were too long in AA for that job was upset about the sign, the rest of us had a good laugh. I believe we should never feel we have outgrown even the humblest of service tasks our meetings require.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Re: Highest Position in AA!

Postby Layne » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:55 am

Early in sobriety I was ruminating on how long it was necessary for me to have to come to meetings. A wise man told me that worked for him was to keep coming to meetings until he wanted to come to meetings. Today I usually get there too late to make coffee (unless it is a second pot), but I am always on time when it is coffee station clean up time. Every time I am cleaning up, it is because I want to and for that I am grateful. It beats the hell out of cleaning up the wreckage caused by drinking!
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Postby Shoreline » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:56 am

To be honest I like helping set up chairs, make coffee etc. It gives me something to do at meetings and keeps me away from just standing around and gossiping etc.
Shoreline
Forums Enthusiast

Postby D'oh » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:28 am

To a point, Newbies get a feeling of Usefulness, if handed a Key, Coffee duty, GSR, Treasurer position. It is not always an Ole Timer sluffing responsibilities.

They might be just "Passing on what was Freely Passed to them"
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby Spirit Flower » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:28 pm

My first sponsor took me to the sign-board and explained, "These blanks are to sign up to lead meetings, but you don't know anything so you should sign up for this: cleaning." ! :shock: Yup, precious me spent the first year every Saturday morning: cleaning. My first sponsor also said, "clean the ashtrays and I don't care if you f*cking don't smoke." :shock:

Humility humility humility is learned through behavior. AA is not a glamour job. It is the last house on the block.
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Forums Old Timer

Postby positrac » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:48 am

If you make coffee at home then it should be pretty easy to do the same at any meeting! I used to empty ash trays, fold chairs, clean up, take out the trash and even clean the head! See these jobs are that no one likes and if they are done normally they are taken for granted and yet I did them with inner joy because I didn't have to talk to anyone, feel obligated to shake hands and or connect in early sobriety. Eventually my attitude changed and I wanted to be more out going because it helped me overcome certain fears and eased my sobriety climb and made doing the steps less of a chore and more for inner success I could get right with myself and with others.

My opinion is this regarding the original point of being to good because they have time: This means I could go out and drink because I might be able to handle my booze this time..... Just saying ego knows nothing about humility. That is the next sign that should go up anonymously. :wink:
Work hard, stay positive, and get up early. It's the best part of the day.
George Allen, Sr.
positrac
Trusted Servant

Postby Blue Moon » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:12 am

Brock wrote:The person who felt they were too long in AA for that job was upset about the sign,

Good!

People in meetings who refuse to do anything yet pretend they do everything used to annoy me greatly. Nowadays, I just see them for what they are: egotistical BS-merchants still "just 1 drink away from a drunk" having to hide from life in meetings. Who wants to live like that? I'm a whole Higher Power and a service-commitment away from a drunk, just so long as I don't allow ego or fear to dictate what the right action is.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby positrac » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:07 am

Blue Moon wrote:
egotistical BS-merchants

:lol: :lol:
Work hard, stay positive, and get up early. It's the best part of the day.
George Allen, Sr.
positrac
Trusted Servant

Postby Tosh » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:04 pm

I like coffee making duty. It's dead easy. I dislike chairing meetings. I'm quite a funny guy to begin with, but over time this changes to being a 'quite a boring guy' once my humour becomes predictable.

And then the third stage is that I become quite 'an irritating guy'. I'm probably at that stage on this forum. :lol:

I'm best on coffee making duty.
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby No Bovine Scat » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:59 am

I hear the phrase "a person needs to get active in the program".

However, washing ash trays, making coffee, etc. is NOT the program. Those activities just allow a person to be among other sober people which we all need to do. Especially if a person is new.

The A.A. program is summed up on one sheet of paper that lists the 12 steps. Those steps ARE the program. They guide us in making the necessary changes within ourselves.

Whenever I hear an "old-timer" make a statement and claim "it's in the book", I ask him to show me where. If it is in the book I have learned something that I have not picked up before. If the "old-timer" is just pontificating I ask him nicely to refrain from doing so. The best way to chase a new person out of the program is to talk down to him.

Just my out look on the world.

Just a side note: My home group at the time was asked for a volunteer to cook hotdogs at an annual A.A. picnic. I was volunteered. I thought I give it a shot once. That was eight years ago......chances are I'll be cooking hotdogs this year too. It's a tough job but some one has to do it.
No Bovine Scat
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Tosh » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:52 pm

No Bovine Scat wrote:Whenever I hear an "old-timer" make a statement and claim "it's in the book", I ask him to show me where. If it is in the book I have learned something that I have not picked up before.

"Our real purpose is to fit ourselves to be of maximum service to God and the people about us."

I think service positions in A.A. can be part of that.
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby Greywolf » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:32 pm

y first time here and already I can see this is like a real, live AA meeting. A topic is introduced and soon somebody drifts off topic and away we go. The following quoted words from a response to the topic caught my eye.

"The A.A. program is summed up on one sheet of paper that lists the 12 steps. Those steps ARE the program. They guide us in making the necessary changes within ourselves."

When did AA cease to be a fellowship become a program?
THE PREAMBLE was introduced in the June 1947 issue of the AA Grapevine magazine.

"Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help other to recover from alcoholism. The only requirement for AA membership is a desire to stop drinking." The Preamble has been read before 99.9% of the AA meetings I have attended.

These steps were once suggested as a program of recovery. There seems to be a misunderstanding that AA is a program and these step constitute that program.

I have read those 12 steps on that one sheet of paper -- more than a few times. No where in those steps does it say anything about making changes within ourselves. The 12th step tells us explicitly a spiritual awakening is the result of these steps.

I don't mean to be a pill but small in inaccuracies if repeated enough are taken as the way things really are.
I don't care how much you know until I know how much you care.
Greywolf
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Brock » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:14 pm

Welcome here Greywolf, very interesting first post. However I might say, I believe this is what the AA preamble means -
Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, (the problems they had with alcohol), strength (the strength they received from working the steps and having a spiritual awakening, not from just attending meetings), and hope (especially to have all newcomers leaving with hope for their own recovery by doing the steps), with each other that they may solve their common problem and help other to recover from alcoholism. The only requirement for AA membership is a desire to stop drinking.

And sorry but this goes against everything I believe in -
These steps were once suggested as a program of recovery. There seems to be a misunderstanding that AA is a program and these step constitute that program.

Good AA meetings are those at which the 12 steps are discussed, because that is the program of recovery. Some seem to think it’s a support group for life’s problems, and the steps (program) is not mentioned in their share. I would say that there seems to be a misunderstanding, that AA meetings are held for any reason other than discussing the program of recovery.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby No Bovine Scat » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:47 pm

Greywolf wrote:y first time here and already I can see this is like a real, live AA meeting. A topic is introduced and soon somebody drifts off topic and away we go. The following quoted words from a response to the topic caught my eye.

"The A.A. program is summed up on one sheet of paper that lists the 12 steps. Those steps ARE the program. They guide us in making the necessary changes within ourselves."

When did AA cease to be a fellowship become a program?
THE PREAMBLE was introduced in the June 1947 issue of the AA Grapevine magazine.

"Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help other to recover from alcoholism. The only requirement for AA membership is a desire to stop drinking." The Preamble has been read before 99.9% of the AA meetings I have attended.

I have read those 12 steps on that one sheet of paper -- more than a few times. No where in those steps does it say anything about making changes within ourselves. The 12th step tells us explicitly a spiritual awakening is the result of these steps.

I don't mean to be a pill but small in inaccuracies if repeated enough are taken as the way things really are.

I suggest you reread from the 12 and 12 book. Pay attention to steps four and five. Then move on to Steps 6 and 7.

In step four we take an inventory of all the crap we have done along with the associated resentments. In step five we admit we are flawed people. In steps six and seven we ask whatever higher power we believe in to remove are defects of character and corresponding shortcomings. Sounds like a program of change to me.

The maintenance steps of ten and eleven keep us honest with ourselves. We seek knowledge of "gods will" and the power to carry his will out ......not ours. Once again, sounds like a program of change.
No Bovine Scat
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Greywolf » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:29 am

No Bovine Scat wrote:I hear the phrase "a person needs to get active in the program".

However, washing ash trays, making coffee, etc. is NOT the program. Those activities just allow a person to be among other sober people which we all need to do. Especially if a person is new.

Washing ash trays, making coffee, etc., sounds like something one would do in a fellowship such as the Fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous, which allows a person to be among other sober alcoholics.

At my early meetings I was grateful that they let me wash coffee cups and ashtrays. Proved to myself that I wasn't a visitor or guest but an actual member. There weren't many places I was welcome as a member and AA was the one place I could count on to be welcome.

I for one believe that taking part in the tasks needed to put on a meeting gives newer people "ownership" in the group or meeting. Old timers doing the cleaning up or setting up gives us a good feeling but deprives newer members that same good feeling.

As far as need to know something to chair a meeting is concerned, how much did those great people who started the first group in a new community know? Not much but AA did just fine with new people (which is all there were) chairing meetings. We didn't have sign-up sheets, the "steering committee" would look to see who would benefit from the experience of chairing the meeting and would "suggest" that person chair for the next month.

I don't recall any of us being full of confidence when we came to AA but you could see the difference chairing made. For some just being "trusted" to chair a meeting was a real self- esteem boost.
I don't care how much you know until I know how much you care.
Greywolf
Forums Enthusiast

Next

Return to Discussions