Do we have some kind of sticker on our forheads?

For recovery discussion

Do we have some kind of sticker on our forheads?

Postby positrac » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:44 am

I do some side work in my off time to make some extra cash and also keep my CDL updated as I log miles and just keep my skills honed. I recently did a job that lasted a week and I was operating a straight truck to carry expedited freight. Good deal as they pay well and the loads are light and the turnaround was easy.

I took a huge risk because I hate driving in NYC and yet love visiting and stuffing my neck. I go to this small meeting up in the Belmont area and for a couple of reasons. Mainly because around the way I can grab some homemade steak pizzaiola, and some beautiful veal piccata from my Nonna. She is family and so I have to drop in and make face time and also bring my feed bag because I need a nap after I visit her.

Coming south on I-95 in Jersey and I hit the median rest stop and stretch and get a cup of coffee. I meet this guy by odd chance while I was sitting outside drinking my coffee. We talk about driving and the challenges of the ELD’s/E-logs and how it will make some of the old things obsolete and whatnot. We talked about a bunch of stuff and it kind of rolled into a 5th step. I am kind of shocked once it was finished because I asked guy why he didn’t use his sponsor and or priest. He said he feared being judged and that I am passing through and it would be different if I judged him once I left because we most likely wouldn’t ever meet again.

My 30 minute break turned into a 6 hour talk about recovery and life and we shed some tears, hugged like bears and shook hands like we’d been buddies for life. I mean who knew I’d get into a conversation about AA, and also help a fellow out. He’d been sober 3 years and stepped out because of cancer in his family and the mental issues it took on him drove him out. He said looking back he wanted to drink as a means to mask the pain it caused. He also said he could have done things different and that he was lucky he didn’t lose his CDL and livelihood. Now he has been sober for a year and he said he needed to do the steps in his time as to understand the depths of what he needed to accomplish. He said his sponsor was hard on him and he liked the discipline and yet they had an understanding.

I lived in NYC for a period of my life and I can say I use the bi-lingual card because I speak northern/southern dialect. When I am cutting to the chase people think I am rude and it is just getting down to brass tacks and enough pleasantries already! Seemed we hit it off right away and I felt really refreshed from our time and I could have backed out and said I needed to hustle my load. I didn’t as I had the time on the clock and so it worked out.
Guess it is being where God puts me for that moment in time….! I am normally quiet and mind my business unless a situation comes up.

Be good to each other today.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Re: Do we have some kind of sticker on our forheads?

Postby avaneesh912 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:45 am

The book A new earth talks about subliminally picking up vibes. We all carry different energies at different frequency and when they match, people get connected. There is the incident where Eckhart shares in that book, where after completing a counseling session with a women, he walks into an Indian restaurant. There a patron sitting on a wheelchair was fine all the time but the moment Eckhart enters the room, he starts acting squirely and starts a verbal insults on the waitress. And eventually pins the waitress against the wall, police had to be called. Eckhart talks about the negative energy the women had shed couldn't hurt him but it found a compatible person with whom the energy could resonate.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby positrac » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:44 am

avaneesh912 wrote:The book A new earth talks about subliminally picking up vibes. We all carry different energies at different frequency and when they match, people get connected. There is the incident where Eckhart shares in that book, where after completing a counseling session with a women, he walks into an Indian restaurant. There a patron sitting on a wheelchair was fine all the time but the moment Eckhart enters the room, he starts acting squirely and starts a verbal insults on the waitress. And eventually pins the waitress against the wall, police had to be called. Eckhart talks about the negative energy the women had shed couldn't hurt him but it found a compatible person with whom the energy could resonate.

Man that is pretty deep. I knew we had some kind of connection because of relationships and our disease. It just seemed so odd that I must of had some kind of outline that was visible to this guy and he felt comfortable with me. It has taken me a few to actually write this experience because I needed to digest the events as I remembered them.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby Cristy99 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:40 pm

Wow Posi!!! =surprised

Nothing short of a miracle!!!! Such an amazing story. Thank you so much for sharing that. It gave me chills and made my day. Our amazing God!!

From Aveneesh:
The book A new earth talks about subliminally picking up vibes.

Man I gotta get this book!! Y'all talk about it all the time!!

Have a great day!
Cristy
"Talk doesn't cook rice."
~ Chinese proverb
Cristy99
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Brock » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:22 pm

Guess it is being where God puts me for that moment in time….!

Great example of how powerful this program is, lovely story of one alcoholic helping another.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby positrac » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:30 am

I am a believer that something in our universe has the power to cross our paths and put people in places we just never think possible.
It is easier to talk to strangers sometimes because they are strangers and harbor nothing on us. That guy was a total trip because I was in my world watching people, hearing the birds and just mentally in a neutral place which is vulnerable place because I have not set up my risk assessment on egress. Didn't feel I needed to as I was on break.

This event has made me think a lot more in depth and it has hurt my head in a good way. So for the newcomer I will say that hope is a key we hold because it gives us freedom if we wait for the miracle. I didn't get into all of the details of that guy because of privacy and because his life was and had been scared with a lot of tragedy and self destruction and he has been able to be re-born in sobriety.

Cheers all.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby Patsy© » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:26 am

positrac wrote:I am a believer that something in our universe has the power to cross our paths and put people in places we just never think possible.
It is easier to talk to strangers sometimes because they are strangers and harbor nothing on us. That guy was a total trip because I was in my world watching people, hearing the birds and just mentally in a neutral place which is vulnerable place because I have not set up my risk assessment on egress. Didn't feel I needed to as I was on break.

This event has made me think a lot more in depth and it has hurt my head in a good way. So for the newcomer I will say that hope is a key we hold because it gives us freedom if we wait for the miracle. I didn't get into all of the details of that guy because of privacy and because his life was and had been scared with a lot of tragedy and self destruction and he has been able to be re-born in sobriety.

Cheers all.

God puts people right into our lives at the exact moment we need it, God works in mysterious ways.
Its been working that way for this drunk for years. I don't question "Coincidences" anymore, I just say "Thank You God". After all, Coincidences are just God's way of remaining anonymous =biggrin
Failed 12 Step Call? Not if we walk away sober!
Patsy©
Forums Contributor

Postby positrac » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:31 am

^^^^ Indeed^^^^^ humility and understanding is a good thing today as I don't need to challenge it and just absorb and accept. =biggrin
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby Roberth » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:33 am

wonderful share...when the student is ready the teacher will appear....... plus we have a language all our own, one that for some strange reason our hearing is tuned to...... how many time have we been watching TV and think yeah he one of us. =biggrin
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Return to Discussions