A.A. Birthdays!

Postby Spirit Flower » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:45 am

I am so grateful for my sober adult life.

It was 33 years ago that I came to in my apartment to a devastating sight; and it caused me to immediately stop drinking. My emotional condition quickly went downhill without alcohol. I remember another day, a few months later, where I sat on my bed at 5 in the morning, putting on my safety shoes and saying, "God, when is this going to end." It did end that day as my emotions cracked wide open. I landed later in the day in the office of my pastor, who turned out to be one of us. He said the exact right thing, "I know how you feel....You feel like a quivering pile of sh!t." OMG, exactly! The next day I was in the office of a shrink who quickly identified me as an alcoholic. This was fortunate since I didn't know anything about alcoholism, only that I didn't want to be one. I didn't know that it was too late, despite 3 months of not drinking, I was an alcoholic already. So, I didn't want to go to treatment. Back then, treatment was a big taboo. So the shrink "sentenced" me to AA.

I went to AA and loved it. I was so happy to find a place where I fit in and the other people wanted me.

Living sober is a life long journey. This journey is one of greater and greater conscious contact with a power greater than myself, most closely called my Inner Self, or Soul. My Soul loves me and gives me everything.

And think, I have friends in AA that I have known for 33 years! What a great fellowship we have (which so many don't want).

Thank you AA for giving me my life. Without AA, I surely would have tried the experiment of the first drink, over and over.
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Forums Old Timer

Re: 33

Postby positrac » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:26 am

Congrats on this milestone in your life! The best part of your story is you haven't forgot those feeling and the early days of sobriety. It is not the years as much as the time and experiences that you give to us and those in the rooms. Have a great day and thank you again for your service to our lifestyle of sobriety.
Work hard, stay positive, and get up early. It's the best part of the day.
George Allen, Sr.
positrac
Trusted Servant

Postby PaigeB » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:26 am

33! What a magical number!

Congrats and thank you for all you do! Thanks especially for sharing your experience strength and HOPE!

=biggrin =smile :o :) :shock: :wink: :evil: :P :mrgreen: :| :D =smile =sad =confused :oops: :o =smile =biggrin =surprised :mrgreen: :arrow: :idea: :arrow:
The gang's all here! Let the party begin!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Forums Old Timer

Postby Spirit Flower » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:29 pm

Thanks Paige and Positrac
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Forums Old Timer

Return to A.A. Birthdays!