Foreword to Third Edition of "Alcoholics Anonymous"

The book Alcoholics Anonymous, aka The Big Book, is the basic text for the AA program of sobriety. "Alcoholics Anonymous" Copyright 2012 AAWS, Inc. All Rights, Reserved. Short excerpts used by permission of AAWS

Foreword to Third Edition of "Alcoholics Anonymous"

Postby leejosepho » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:59 pm

Foreword to third edition of "Alcoholics Anonymous"
(thread five in a series of several)

Foreword III online: http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/en_bigbook_forewordthirdedition.pdf

Foreword to Third Edition

BY March 1976, when this edition went to the printer, the total worldwide membership of Alcoholics Anonymous was conservatively estimated at more than 1,000,000, with almost 28,000 groups meeting in over 90 countries.

Surveys of groups in the United States and Canada indicate that A.A. is reaching out, not only to more and more people, but to a wider and wider range. Women now make up more than one-fourth of the membership; among newer members, the proportion is nearly one-third. Seven percent of the A.A.’s surveyed are less than 30 years of age—among them, many in their teens.

The basic principles of the A.A. program, it appears, hold good for individuals with many different lifestyles, just as the program has brought recovery to those of many different nationalities. The Twelve Steps that summarize the program may be called los Doce Pasos in one country, les Douze Etapes in another, but they trace exactly the same path to recovery that was blazed by the earliest members of Alcoholics Anonymous.

In spite of the great increase in the size and the span of this Fellowship, at its core it remains simple and personal. Each day, somewhere in the world, recovery begins when one alcoholic talks with another alcoholic, sharing experience, strength, and hope.

© Copyright 2012 Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc.
All Right Reserved

============================================================

forum link to the beginning of this series of threads: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=9572 "Beginning at the beginning ..."

============================================================

This thread is now open for discussion!
Last edited by leejosepho on Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Re: Foreword to Third Edition of "Alcoholics Anonymous"

Postby PaigeB » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:47 am

The basic principles of the A.A. program, it appears, hold good for individuals with many different lifestyles...

In spite of the great increase in the size and the span of this Fellowship, at its core it remains simple and personal. Each day, somewhere in the world, recovery begins when one alcoholic talks with another alcoholic, sharing experience, strength, and hope.

"Each day, somewhere in the world, recovery begins..." THIS gave me so much hope! This is what led me to seek AA online. When I first came out of the closet as an atheist, many in AA had questions about how I was "so spiritual" and they also asked, "Who do you turn to when you have a problem and there is no one around? Who do you pray to?" I would answer them thus, "Some where on this earth, every hour on the hour, two or more alcoholics are gathered to say the Serenity Prayer and have a meeting. I am not alone in my pain or obsession. EVER."

"...many different lifestyles..." I am one among many.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby WHO » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:31 pm

1) Pg. xxii
a) How many recovered members of AA were there as of 1976? 1,000,000+
b) How many Big Books were in circulation as of 1976? 1,150,000
c) What was the ratio of books in circulation to recovered members of 1976? 1.2 – 1 ratio 67%
d) How is AA reaching out? Literature, word of mouth, 28,000 groups, 90 countries.
e) Are the AA principles described as multiple, but the AA program as singular? Traditions multiple program / AA program singular
f) Who does the basic principles of the AA program hold? Hold good for individuals with many different lifestyles
g) What has the program brought? Just as the program has brought [i]recovery to those of many different nationalities.[/i]
h) What do the 12 Steps trace? They trace exactly the same path to recovery
i) How is the 12 Steps traced? But they trace exactly the same path to recovery that was blazed by the earliest members of Alcoholics Anonymous
j) What principles remain at the core of AA’s growth? At its core it remains simple and personal
k) When does recovery begin? Recovery begins when one alcoholic talks with another alcoholic
l) What do we share to begin recovery? Sharing experience strength and hope

Personal Questions

Loved Questions 4 -6

1) Do I believe all phases of sharing are necessary for recovery to begin? Yes, Experience strength and hope
2) Am I reaching out, not only to more and more people, but to a wider and wider range? Yes
3) Have I had a great increase in the size and the span of the Fellowship that’s grown up around me because of my service of carrying the AA message as precisely directed in the Big Book? I offer the Big Book and not too many are interested in following its path
4) Do I believe that recovery begins when one alcoholic talks with another alcoholic about their experience, strength, and hope? Yes I do believe
5) Do I see that sharing my experience involves sharing what I was like when my body was brought to the Fellowship of AA, and unified on the AA program of the 12 Steps, with the guidance of the 12 Traditions? I have not seen this broken down like this before Yes
6) Do I see that sharing my strength involves what happened when my mind recovered when brought to the Fellowship of the Spirit through the practical application of the 12 Steps, the AA program? This is good never saw it like this Yes
7) Do I see that sharing my hope involves what I am like now with a renewed spirit, as a result of the 12 Steps, and watching a fellowship grow up about me as the result of being in service carrying the message of the 12 Steps to other alcoholics, guided by the spiritual principles of the 12 Concepts? I can see, never looked at it like this Yes
8) Do I understand that my message if it is to hold and be transmitted to the sick alcoholic must have all three of these components combined with both experience and knowledge? Yes
WHO
Forums Enthusiast

Postby leejosepho » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:27 pm

WHO wrote:Personal Questions
4) Do I believe that recovery begins when one alcoholic talks with another alcoholic about their experience, strength, and hope? Yes I do believe
5) Do I see that sharing my experience involves sharing what I was like when my body was brought to the Fellowship of AA, and unified on the AA program of the 12 Steps, with the guidance of the 12 Traditions? I have not seen this broken down like this before Yes
6) Do I see that sharing my strength involves what happened when my mind recovered when brought to the Fellowship of the Spirit through the practical application of the 12 Steps, the AA program? This is good never saw it like this Yes
7) Do I see that sharing my hope involves what I am like now with a renewed spirit, as a result of the 12 Steps, and watching a fellowship grow up about me as the result of being in service carrying the message of the 12 Steps to other alcoholics, guided by the spiritual principles of the 12 Concepts? I can see, never looked at it like this Yes
8) Do I understand that my message if it is to hold and be transmitted to the sick alcoholic must have all three of these components combined with both experience and knowledge? Yes

I see each of those things building toward the next ... and yes, anything less is incomplete and ineffective!
=======================
"We A.A.s do not *stay* away from drinking [one day at a
time] -- we *grow* away from drinking [one day at a time]."
("Lois Remembers", page 168, quoting Bill, emphasis added)
=======================
leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Return to Big Book Study