What's your favourite piece out of the Big Book?

The book Alcoholics Anonymous, aka The Big Book, is the basic text for the AA program of sobriety. "Alcoholics Anonymous" Copyright 2012 AAWS, Inc. All Rights, Reserved. Short excerpts used by permission of AAWS

Re: What's your favourite piece out of the Big Book?

Postby Sapling » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:45 am

I like this one too.

No words can tell of the loneliness and despair I found in that bitter morass of self-pity. Quicksand stretched around me in all directions. I had met my match. I had been overwhelmed. Alcohol was my master.

If that doesn't cover hitting bottom...Nothing does.
Then he relapses and finally gets it...And AA hasn't even started yet.

Trembling, I stepped from the hospital a broken man. Fear sobered me for a bit. Then came the insidious insanity of that first drink, and on Armistice Day 1934, I was off again. Everyone became resigned to the certainty that I would have to be shut up somewhere, or would stumble along to a miserable end. How dark it is before the dawn! In reality that was the beginning of my last debauch. I was soon to be catapulted into what I like to call the fourth dimension of existence. I was to know happiness, peace, and usefulness, in a way of life that is incredibly more wonderful as time passes.
Sapling
Forums Enthusiast

Postby leejosepho » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:29 am

Sapling wrote:He regretted not using the word never...It bothered him...But I agree that is probably why he used rarely. I will say if you follow that path....It works. You want to stray from it...You'll probably drink.

In Key West many years ago, someone once mis-read "How It Works", saying, "Rarely have we seen a person thoroughly follow our path ...", and there is actually some truth in that since it seems most alcoholics never find permanent recovery. But along that kind of line, my own favorite part can be found here:

"There are those, too, who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders, but many of them do recover if they have the capacity to be honest."

That would be me and several others I happen to know.
=======================
"We A.A.s do not *stay* away from drinking [one day at a
time] -- we *grow* away from drinking [one day at a time]."
("Lois Remembers", page 168, quoting Bill, emphasis added)
=======================
leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Postby ann2 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:36 am

(raising hand in Sweden)

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby Tosh » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:31 am

leejosepho wrote:"There are those, too, who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders, but many of them do recover if they have the capacity to be honest."

A.A.'s favourite 'Trick Cyclist' (psychiatrist) Carl Jung reckoned we're all bonkers to some degree; all of us; so don't go thinking you're that different from anyone else, Leejosepho, me-laddie! :mrgreen:

(Sorry, couldn't help myself! :oops: )
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby leejosepho » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:58 am

Tosh wrote:
leejosepho wrote:"There are those, too, who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders, but many of them do recover if they have the capacity to be honest."

A.A.'s favourite 'Trick Cyclist' (psychiatrist) Carl Jung reckoned we're all bonkers to some degree; all of us; so don't go thinking you're that different from anyone else, Leejosepho, me-laddie! :mrgreen:

(Sorry, couldn't help myself! :oops: )

We have all seen this in our book:

"... the alcoholic is an extreme example of self-will run riot, though he usually doesn't think so." (page 62)

My first sponsor once really got me by putting a long pause ahead of "though he usually doesn't think so" and then watching for me to shake my head before continuing on with his reading! But the alcoholic ego really showed itself in Bill's pre-publication writing of that line where he had first drafted, "... almost the most extreme example that could be found ..."

But as to some of us being a bit different, that is a simple matter of medical fact ... and then the debate begins as to which type of neurology is best. So, it is perfectly okay with me whenever someone else might think s/he might be a bit sicker than me as long as his or her own uniqueness does not become terminal! ;)
=======================
=======================
leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Postby Jaywalker Steve » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:12 am

"We know how he feels." Pg 45

I doubted most things I heard in AA. I believed you hurt like me though.
Every group has men and women who put too much thought and effort into their daily sobriety and not enough of themselves into their daily living. - Ed B., Akron, OH
Jaywalker Steve
Forums Long Timer

Postby leejosepho » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:08 am

"You can help when no one else can. You can secure their confidence when others fail." (page 89)
=======================
=======================
leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Postby johnd » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:25 am

The original Page 449 from the BB Doctor Addict I bleive was the title new version calls it Acceptance
So I must Accept the changes in AA's literature as well :lol:
John D Grateful Alcoholic :)
Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans- Anonymous
johnd
Forums Long Timer

Postby Tommy-S » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:21 pm

Delete
Last edited by Tommy-S on Sun May 06, 2012 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Together, we don't have to cave in or wimp out to that Fatal First One, no matter what today!
Tommy-S
Forums Old Timer

Postby Chris P » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:17 pm

There are so many, but one that struck me like lightning the first time I read it was

Do not let any prejudice you may have against spiritual terms deter you from honestly asking yourself what they mean to you (p 47)

This allowed me to begin to explore what I believed a higher power was telling me. My sponsor only gave me two rules: 1) it had to make sense to me (see page 93), and 2) it had to match my experience. This wasn't about making the right people smile and getting pats on the head for how good a boy I was and how deep my thoughts were. This was my life! How was I going to live it? Where was I going to go for further direction? I had to make it personal and about me! I had to look the world in the eye and say "yes, my actions match my convictions." Because for years they didn't.
Chris P
Forums Newcomer

Postby Chris P » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:52 pm

leejosepho wrote:In Key West many years ago, someone once mis-read "How It Works", saying, "Rarely have we seen a person thoroughly follow our path ...", and there is actually some truth in that since it seems most alcoholics never find permanent recovery. But along that kind of line, my own favorite part can be found here:

"There are those, too, who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders, but many of them do recover if they have the capacity to be honest."

On the topic of misread stuff, one person I know changes it intentionally to "Thoroughly have we seen a person fail who has rarely followed our path."

My favorite How It Works mis-read is: "That one is God. You may find him now." Until I started looking, there was no way I was going to find him. Now I may. The possibilities are endless.
Chris P
Forums Newcomer

Postby ann2 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:09 am

Chris P wrote: "That one is God. You may find him now."

Good one! Thank you! It's great to have permission.

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby Sally » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:01 am

another one that always gets a laugh is Step11- sought through prayer and medication-
but as well as a laugh- it often leads to some pretty good discussions about
taking meds.
i love reading the stories in the book- so full of wisdom- 2 of my
favorites are Freedom from Bondage and To Handle Sobriety
Sally
Sally
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Silkworth » Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:18 am

My favorite from " Acceptance was the Answer " page 417 4th Edition. This paragraph really hit home with me.

Acceptance is the answer to ALL of my problems today. When I
am disturbed, it is because I find some person, place, thing or
situation- some fact of my life- unacceptable to me, and I can
find no serenity until I accept that person, place, thing, or
situation as being exactly the way it is supposed to be at this
moment. Nothing, absolutely nothing, happens in God's world by
mistake. Until I could accept my alcoholism, I could not stay
sober; unless I accept my life completely on life's terms, I cannot
be happy. I need to concentrate not so much on what needs to be
changed in the world as on what needs to be changed in me and
in my attitudes.
...and though perhaps he came to scoff, he may remain to pray. - William D. Silkworth MD
Silkworth
Forums Enthusiast

Postby gonzo » Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:01 pm

Silkworth wrote:My favorite from " Acceptance was the Answer " page 417 4th Edition.

I have been to many meetings where people with just share with saying "Page 417" and watch heads nod up and down; I agree that is a very powerful and potent piece, the "attitude adjustment" that AA sometimes stands for for people like me who get lost "up there". I also like the following very much (also from 4th ed.):
Regarding the program and the steps, for starters on Pg. 88
"It works -- it really does. We alcoholics are undisciplined. So we let God discipline us in the simple way we have just outlined."
and finally in summary, on Pg. 164
"See to it that your relationship with Him is right, and great events will come to pass for you and countless others.
Abandon yourself to God as you understand God. Admit your faults to him and to your fellows. Clear away the wreckage of your past. Give freely of what you find and join us. We shall be with you in the Fellowship of the Spirit, and you will surely meet some of us as you trudge the Road of Happy Destiny.
May God bless you and keep you -- until then."
These are the program's purpose and promise laid out clearly and succinctly, and with hope.
Chris M.
a.k.a. gonzo, alcoholic math nerd
gonzo
Forums Enthusiast

PreviousNext

Return to Big Book Study