My Big Book weekend

The book Alcoholics Anonymous, aka The Big Book, is the basic text for the AA program of sobriety. "Alcoholics Anonymous" Copyright 2012 AAWS, Inc. All Rights, Reserved. Short excerpts used by permission of AAWS

My Big Book weekend

Postby kathleen » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:23 am

I spent the weekend reading the Big Book. I'll admit to being a little skeptical, I thought it would be so "dated". But right away I was impressed with the sophistication of the writing (people don't write like that anymore!) And I saw myself word-for-word more than once! I had been doing some journaling about my drinking and "control" was a recurring theme. My life would be perfect if everybody would just stick to the script! And there was the exact same phrase in the Book!! Another chapter was about a woman who didn't enjoy controlled drinking-it was no fun unless she could drink full blast (me, again) I laughed and cried- a lot!
kathleen
Forums Enthusiast

Postby martin08 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:09 am

Thank you, Kathleen.

Your refreshing account of finding yourself in the Big Book is an inspiration to one, like myself, who was at first skeptical but came to trust the message, plan and implementation of full recovery from alcoholism.
martin08
Forums Long Timer

Postby Karl R » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:01 pm

Kathleen

My experience was the same as yours. That big book online was my friend and constant companion during the first weekend of my sobriety. Over and over-page by page I found myself in it's pages. I began to see that it offered a solution to the hopeless state of mind and body I found myself in.

Today--not hopeless in mind or body. Just grateful to have found the solution to recovery-the plan that the big book offers.

thanks for sharing today Kathleen,

Karl
Karl R
Forums Old Timer

Postby Joe H » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:01 pm

Kathleen, I went to a friend of mine's 6th birthday tonight. She did a great job explaining how she found her answer in the Big Book. She said at 26 years old her life was over, no education, no family, no job, in and out of jail and homeless. She said she was nothing but a boozer and wanted to die. A lady who became her sponsor gave her the Big Book, told her her story and said she found that this book knew her better than she knew herself. She said she took the book and looked through it and then started reading it from the beginning and she read and cried for the next two days.

She just got her four year degree in December and has a professional job. What a beautiful lady with a great message, AA's program of 12 Steps works. The three girls she sponsors did not have a dry eye the whole meeting, not many others did either.
Joe H
Forums Long Timer

Postby LetgoJoe » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:46 pm

Thank you for sharing that Kathleen. It is always so refreshing and invigorating to hear an affirmation of faith in how the AA program works. Awesome.

Great story Joe H.

Thank you all for sharing.
Honesty gets us sober, tolerance keeps us sober. ~Bill W.
LetgoJoe
Forums Long Timer

Postby Jim 725 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:47 am

Thank you so much, Kathleen. It does this old dinosaur's heart good to find someone today who can actually decode the Big Book without a personal guru and a complete volume of tapes.
Jim S.
Jim 725

Postby ann2 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:48 pm

Great kathleen, you make me so glad -- now as Jim 725 would say, it's a cookbook, not a novel!

love, Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Return to Big Book Study