11/13/08 BB Into Action pp 87-88 (throughout the day)

The book Alcoholics Anonymous, aka The Big Book, is the basic text for the AA program of sobriety. "Alcoholics Anonymous" Copyright 2012 AAWS, Inc. All Rights, Reserved. Short excerpts used by permission of AAWS
Karl R
Forums Old Timer

11/13/08 BB Into Action pp 87-88 (throughout the day)

Post by Karl R » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:01 am

Good Morning,

Lord, make me an instrument of thy peace! That where there is hatred, I may bring love. That where there is wrong, I may bring the spirit of forgiveness. That where there is discord, I may bring harmony. That where there is error, I may bring truth. That where there is doubt, I may bring faith. That where there is despair, I may bring hope. That where there are shadows, I may bring light. That where there is sadness, I may bring joy. Lord, grant that I may seek rather to comfort, than to be comforted. To understand, than to be understood. To love, than to be loved. For it is by self-forgetting that one finds. It is by forgiving that one is forgiven. It is by dying that one awakens to Eternal Life.

Yesterday we looked at the part of the text devoted to prayer and meditation "upon awakening"

Today's text (in red below) looks at prayer and meditation throughout the day. The discipline of prayer and meditation helps me not only to stay in touch and continue to develop a relationship with my HP. It also has some concrete results. Rather then playing the director of the play, asking for the right word or action from my higher power and then being willing to use this word or action seems to help this actor put on a better showing.
This grounding throughout the day in prayer and meditation, when I remember to use it, keeps me on the path of "what's next" in my HP's will rather then my own plans for the day.

Anyone care to share their ES and H about our HP's plan for each day as opposed to our plan for each day? Do we still plan? Do we plan outcomes...actions....? Anything else related to the 10th or 11th step?

have a great day everyone,
Karl

As we go through the day we pause, when agitated or doubtful, and ask for the right thought or action. We constantly remind ourselves we are no longer running the show, humbly saying to ourselves many times each day "Thy will be done." We are then in much less danger of excitement, fear, anger, worry, self-pity, or foolish decisions. We become much more efficient. We do not tire so easily, for we are not burning up energy foolishly as we did when we were trying to arrange life to suit ourselves.
It works - it really does.
We alcoholics are undisciplined. So we let God discipline us in the simple way we have just outlined.
But this is not all. There is action and more action. "Faith without works is dead." The next chapter is entirely devoted to Step Twelve.
Last edited by Karl R on Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Oliver
Forums Long Timer

Post by Oliver » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:53 am

"Pause when agitated". That was a great piece of advice for me who used to just rush headlong into disaster after disaster.
Oliver
"In exchange for bottle and hangover, I have been given the keys to the kingdom."

dwelling
Forums Enthusiast

Post by dwelling » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:35 am

Hi All,

When to do steps 10 and 11?

Like it says in the big book: On awakening, as we go through the day, and when we retire at night!

What an order! I can't go through with it!lol

dwelling,Wait until repeated stumbling convinces him he must act, for the more you hurry him the longer his recovery may be delayed.

leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Re: 11/13/08 BB Into Action pp 87-88 (throughout the day)

Post by leejosepho » Thu May 24, 2012 7:45 am

Here is where we can see Step Eleven helping us grow and Step Ten (mere maintenance) thereby becoming less necessary:

Step Ten: "... we continue to take personal inventory and continue to set right any new mistakes as we go along." (page 84)
Step Eleven: "As we go through the day we pause, when agitated or doubtful, and ask for the right thought or action." (page 87)

And within all of that, here is my own favorite part:
... We become much more efficient. We do not tire so easily, for we are not burning up energy foolishly as we did when we were trying to arrange life to suit ourselves.
I used to think life was wearing me out, but then discovered it had been me all along!
But this is not all. There is action and more action. "Faith without works is dead." The next chapter is entirely devoted to Step Twelve.
There are far more "takers" on this earth than "givers", and that can be true even amongst people who are spiritually well.

We are now about to begin moving to the other side of the aisle for the sake of still others like ourselves.
=======================
"We A.A.s do not *stay* away from drinking [one day at a
time] -- we *grow* away from drinking [one day at a time]."
("Lois Remembers", page 168, quoting Bill, emphasis added)
=======================

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Fri May 25, 2012 11:10 am

Joe said:
And within all of that, here is my own favorite part:
... We become much more efficient. We do not tire so easily, for we are not burning up energy foolishly as we did when we were trying to arrange life to suit ourselves.
I used to think life was wearing me out, but then discovered it had been me all along!
I used to think that too. But I also want to point out that this is one of those times when, as we re-read the Book, we find something new! I knew that this was the logical out come, 'We don't tire as easily' because all that mental arranging was a lot of work.... But I did NOT KNOW that it was in the Book laid out plain and simple as one of the many promises that are not listed with the 12 on page 83! Perhaps I didn't see it because I had an epiphany at the beginning of the paragraph - And like a good alcoholic, my mind wandered off before I had gotten to it!

You see, my thunderbolt came when I read this:
As we go through the day we pause, when agitated or doubtful, and ask for the right thought or action.
With even the most minuscule willingness and awareness from Step 4, I began to see that I was now capable of catching myself in the act of blaming others. I really didn't know where to go with it some times... making for me hysterical screaming one second and literally apologizing in the next second and screaming again that I did not know what to do... (Oh my poor husband!). Looked pretty silly. But I finally figured out that the pause is extremely important and I now refer to this as "The peace is in the pause reading".
There is action and more action.
Until I asked "What action?" I thought they meant the action of going to meetings and maybe hanging out for coffee afterward. The "action" is sometimes the inaction of continuing the blame others and always taking responsibility for MY actions when I am agitated!
Step 6 is "AA's way of stating, the best possible attitude one can take in order to make a beginning on this lifetime job... with most of them we shall have to be content with patient improvement." 12&12 Step Six, p.65

Duke
Forums Old Timer

Post by Duke » Fri May 25, 2012 11:35 am

I use this quite often to remind myself of what I have come to conclude is what is meant by the "proper" use of my willpower. Use my will to shut up, ask for guidance, and direct my thoughts to something positive I can bring to the situation, not to shuffle everybody about on the chess board until they're lined up the way I think they should be. It is always the proper use of my will to take responsiblity for what I can control and use all my effort to do so. That, of course, is me and what I will choose to do next no matter what the circumstances.
"If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are.", Mother Teresa

leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Post by leejosepho » Sat May 26, 2012 6:14 am

Duke wrote:... the "proper" use of my willpower ... to shut up, ask for guidance, and direct my thoughts to something positive I can bring to the situation ... to take responsibility for what I can control and use all my effort to do so ... no matter what the circumstances.
Whew. Good stuff there!
=======================
"We A.A.s do not *stay* away from drinking [one day at a
time] -- we *grow* away from drinking [one day at a time]."
("Lois Remembers", page 168, quoting Bill, emphasis added)
=======================