11/9/08 BB Into Action pp 84-85 (10th step)

The book Alcoholics Anonymous, aka The Big Book, is the basic text for the AA program of sobriety. "Alcoholics Anonymous" Copyright 2012 AAWS, Inc. All Rights, Reserved. Short excerpts used by permission of AAWS

11/9/08 BB Into Action pp 84-85 (10th step)

Postby Karl R » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:13 am

Good Morning,

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Friday's reading consisted of the ninth step promises read in most of the meetings I attend.

Today's reading (below in red) begins speaking of the 10th step. "Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it" This step doesn't tell me 'if' I am wrong but tells me 'when' I am wrong. It's a certainty...I am wrong frequently. It tells me what to do about it. Promptly admit it. If I'm not prompt in admitting I'm wrong my spiritual condition deteriorates and my claim on the 10th step promises starts to fade. Another thing I have to remind myself of is NOT to take other people's inventory. Especially that of my close family members.

Anyone care to share of their ES and H regarding personal inventory and/or the 10th step promises?

have a great Sunday,

Karl

This thought brings us to Step Ten, which suggests we continue to take personal inventory and continue to set right any new mistakes as we go along. We vigorously commenced this way of living as we cleaned up the past. We have entered the world of the Spirit. Our next function is to grow in understanding and effectiveness. This is not an overnight matter. It should continue for our lifetime. Continue to watch for selfishness, dishonesty, resentment, and fear. When these crop up, we ask God at once to remove them. We discuss them with someone immediately and make amends quickly if we have harmed anyone. Then we resolutely turn our thoughts to someone we can help. Love and tolerance of others is our code.
And we have ceased fighting anything or anyone - even alcohol. For by this time sanity will have returned. We will seldom be interested in liquor. If tempted, we recoil from it as from a hot flame. We react sanely and normally, and we will find that this has happened automatically. We will see that our new attitude toward liquor has been given us without any thought or effort on our part. It just comes! That is the miracle of it. We are not fighting it, neither are we avoiding temptation. We feel as though we had been placed in a position of neutrality - safe and protected. We have not even sworn off. Instead, the problem has been removed. It does not exist for us. We are neither cocky nor are we afraid. That is our experience. That is how we react so long as we keep in fit spiritual condition.
Karl R
Forums Old Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:18 am

This thought

I was told is the thought of making amends, we start making amends and also watch for new mistakes from happening.

Continue to watch for selfishness, dishonesty, resentment, and fear. When these crop up, we ask God at once to remove them. We discuss them with someone immediately and make amends quickly if we have harmed anyone. Then we resolutely turn our thoughts to someone we can help. Love and tolerance of others is our code.

We watch, ask, discuss and turn when one of the character defects re-surface.

Its a tall order. But the BB says with Gods help anything is possible!
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby wingy » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:26 pm

Hi guys, Just back from a meeting and boy do I feel good, For a nice change the speaker talked about THE SOLUTION and not the usual before, after and now share which is all very good for my sobriety but I like to hear people telling me how they are working the program.
wingy
Forums Newcomer

Postby ann2 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:52 am

Being able to bring the problem back to me, and then presenting the problem to my higher power brings peace and results, the only kind that work for my sobriety. I didn't know this kind of living was possible but it is, and it's a simple program, one that happens just by putting aside all preconceptions of who's at fault and poor me and what others should be doing and calmly reviewing my own actions, desires and states of mind.

Asking for my higher power's intercession in all things that disturb me results in much fewer disturbances. I thought I was defined by my disturbances, but in fact without them I have a lot more time to do the things that keep me going a day at a time without the drink.

Sometimes I feel like all my life utterly outside of my control. It doesn't have to be scary -- it can be a positive feeling, that I'm being shot through the universe with the protection of my higher power always directing guiding and loving me. Anything that i can do to help -- examining my behavior and turning it over -- is the tiny bit of "control" that I can add to this mysterious and exciting journey.

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Re: 11/9/08 BB Into Action pp 84-85 (10th step)

Postby leejosepho » Sun May 20, 2012 8:48 am

... these ... promises ... will always materialize if we work for them.

This thought brings us to Step Ten, which suggests we continue to take personal inventory and continue to set right any new mistakes as we go along.

Steps Four through Nine plus "as we go along" equal Step Ten ... and other than that, there is nothing new here in Step Ten:

Continue to watch for selfishness, dishonesty, resentment, and fear (just like we have already learned to recognize). When these crop up, we ask God at once to remove them. We discuss them with someone immediately and make amends quickly if we have harmed anyone. Then we resolutely turn our thoughts to someone we can help. Love and tolerance of others is our code.

Step Ten is not a nightly inventory, it is "play-by-play spiritual action" throughout the day ... and by doing that, we do not cause any new "debris [such as we had previously] accumulated out of our effort to live on self-will and run the show ourselves" (page 76), and we begin finding this to be true:

And we have ceased fighting anything or anyone - even alcohol. For by this time sanity will have returned.

Where we used to turn to alcohol for its effect, we are now being enabled "to match calamity with serenity." (page 68)

=================

Many people today seem to believe it is up to them to not take the first drink, and that leads to missing actual recovery:

We will seldom be interested in liquor ... we recoil from it as from a hot flame ... sanely and normally ... automatically ... without any thought or effort on our part.

I do not say that to find fault with anyone, but simply to help others like myself understand why "Don't drink" or "Think the drink through" or any such thing cannot ever be found anywhere within our Basic Text. Instead, and after actually taking these Steps:

[Sanity] just comes ... the miracle of [recovery] ... not fighting [or] avoiding temptation ... in a position of neutrality - safe and protected. We have not even sworn off. Instead, the problem has been removed. It does not exist for us.

Sure beats trying to stay sober one-day-at-a-time, eh?! I came to A.A. because I absolutely could not do that, "... the baffling feature of alcoholism as we know it - this utter inability to leave it alone, no matter how great the necessity or the wish." (page 34)
=======================
"We A.A.s do not *stay* away from drinking [one day at a
time] -- we *grow* away from drinking [one day at a time]."
("Lois Remembers", page 168, quoting Bill, emphasis added)
=======================
leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Sun May 20, 2012 12:33 pm

Again, another favorite reading... more Promises... the Steps are working in our lives if we are working them and we seek to do the next right thing.

We vigorously commenced this way of living as we cleaned up the past. We have entered the world of the Spirit. Our next function is to grow in understanding and effectiveness....This is not an overnight matter. It should continue for our lifetime. Continue to watch for selfishness, dishonesty, resentment, and fear.

Joe said:
Step Ten is not a nightly inventory, it is "play-by-play spiritual action" throughout the day ...

I agree.

===================

The next quote is one that I found early and remind myself of many times a day. It is something I learned and practice in the face to face rooms of AA. It applies everywhere though. You see, I practice in AA what I need to apply in the rest of the world.

Love and tolerance of others is our code.
....we have ceased fighting anything or anyone - even alcohol.

After Steps 5-9 I learned more about my fear and ego and my mantra of love and tolerance had more depth. I have ceased fighting even my ego. I do the next right thing. When I identify my defects in action (selfishness, dishonesty, resentment, and fear) I stop the thoughts. I do not entertain it any longer. I resolutely turn my thoughts to someone I might help. I make amends quickly when my actions have harmed anyone and try to discuss it with my sponsor as soon as possible.

======================

With regard to alcohol...

...we recoil from it as from a hot flame. We react sanely and normally .... We are neither cocky nor are we afraid. That is our experience. That is how we react so long as we keep in fit spiritual condition.

I don't know that recoiling is "sane & normal" - I know that normal people don't recoil from alcohol. But I do recoil - THEN I respond sanely by not acting on thoughts that I might be able to just this once have one drink like a normal person. Then I ACT like a normal person - say no thanks and walk away. Normal folks also do not feel the urge to ramble on about why they don't want a drink!

"...fit spiritual condition." Leads me into Step 11 where I am in purposeful, continual, conscious contact with my HP!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Forums Old Timer

Postby leejosepho » Mon May 21, 2012 4:30 am

PaigeB wrote:With regard to alcohol...

...we recoil from it as from a hot flame. We react sanely and normally .... We are neither cocky nor are we afraid. That is our experience. That is how we react so long as we keep in fit spiritual condition.

I don't know that recoiling is "sane & normal" - I know that normal people don't recoil from alcohol ...

You make a good point in relation to the non-alcoholic -- the term "recoil" might be a bit strong for them -- but for us, it is offered in contrast to this:

"The fact is that most alcoholics, for reasons yet obscure, have lost the power of choice in drink ... a complete failure of the kind of defense that keeps one from putting his hand on a hot stove." (page 24)

PaigeB wrote:Normal folks also do not feel the urge to ramble on about why they don't want a drink!

Sure, and only the still-suffering alcohol does that to try to convince himself or herself of no desire either while yet staring longingly at the "stove" or trying to pretend it is not even there.
=======================
"We A.A.s do not *stay* away from drinking [one day at a
time] -- we *grow* away from drinking [one day at a time]."
("Lois Remembers", page 168, quoting Bill, emphasis added)
=======================
leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Return to Big Book Study