11/6/08 BB Into Action p. 83 (living a spiritual life)

The book Alcoholics Anonymous, aka The Big Book, is the basic text for the AA program of sobriety. "Alcoholics Anonymous" Copyright 2012 AAWS, Inc. All Rights, Reserved. Short excerpts used by permission of AAWS

11/6/08 BB Into Action p. 83 (living a spiritual life)

Postby Karl R » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:36 am

Good Morning,

"God, I offer myself to Thee-to build with me and to do with me as Thou wilt. Relieve me of the bondage of self, that I may better do Thy will. Take away my difficulties, that victory over them may bear witness to those I would help of Thy Power, Thy Love, and Thy Way of life. May I do Thy will always!"

Yesterday's passage looked at amends to the family.

Today's passage (below in red) speaks of at least two things; the spiritual life as an action rather then a theory and the difficulty of making some amends and what to do about it.

Anyone care to speak from their ES and H of the day to day difficulties of living the spiritual life?

or

Anyone care to speak from their ES and H of family members adopting spiritual principles?

or

Anyone care to speak from their ES and H of the difficulty of making some amends?

have a great day,
Karl

The spiritual life is not a theory. We have to live it. Unless one's family expresses a desire to live upon spiritual principles we think we ought not to urge them. We should not talk incessantly to them about spiritual matters. They will change in time. Our behavior will convince them more than our words. We must remember that ten or twenty years of drunkenness would make a skeptic out of anyone.
There may be some wrongs we can never fully right. We don't worry about them if we can honestly say to ourselves that we would right them if we could. Some people cannot be seen - we send them an honest letter. And there may be a valid reason for postponement in some cases. But we don't delay if it can be avoided. We should be sensible, tactful, considerate and humble without being servile or scraping. As God's people we stand on our feet; we don't crawl before anyone.
Last edited by Karl R on Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Karl R
Forums Old Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:29 am

Anyone care to speak from their ES and H of the day to day difficulties of living the spiritual life?

Getting up at the same time everyday was a biggest hurdle. But God gave me a pet dog and made my life easy. Now I get up and meditate and then feed the dog. Past few months have been serene. It use to be chaotic preparing the my 2 kids in the morning for school.

No more meetings in the evening, just noon meetings or early evening meetings. Again, with kids late night meetings was not welcomed by my wife.

Anyone care to speak from their ES and H of family members adopting spiritual principles?

My wife says i am the sick one. I agree.

Anyone care to speak from their ES and H of the difficulty of making some amends?

Most of the amends i owe are living amends. At times, i do become irritable. But I use the program to get back on the right track.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Re: 11/6/08 BB Into Action p. 83 (living a spiritual life)

Postby Blue Moon » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:25 am

Karl R wrote:Anyone care to speak from their ES and H of family members adopting spiritual principles?

If they want to, they will.

I got sober in August 2000. On Christmas day, my ex- was still, literally, telling me to f*** off. A few years later, she was still living a paranoid existence, which sometimes directly impacted my own life and relationship with my daughter.

Did I "make" her that way? No. Of course, for some years my drinking escapades certainly didn't help. But just as I wasn't about to adopt any "spiritual principles" just because you think I should, who else dislikes evangelists? Others have got to find their own path. And that can take years, if ever. And sometimes it takes painful events to trigger a change.

Yet by taking sober direction we only help, not hinder, our own chances at more healthy relationships in future.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby leejosepho » Fri May 18, 2012 6:10 am

The spiritual life is not a theory. We have to live it ... ought not to urge ... not talk incessantly ... behavior will convince them more than our words.

Other alcoholics *need* to hear what we have to share, and we have this in relation to that:

"Even though your protégé may not have entirely admitted his condition, he has become very curious to know how you got well. Let him ask you that question, if he will. Tell him exactly what happened to you. Stress the spiritual feature freely." (page 93)

Even there we see "Let him ask you ..." before we eventually get around to speaking of spiritual matters, and it seems best to give non-alcoholics even greater latitude since our "ten or twenty years of drunkenness" is not going to be forgotten overnight anyway!

There may be some wrongs we can never fully right. We don't worry about them if we can honestly say to ourselves that we would right them if we could.

Hardly a week goes by that I do not recall yet another wrong I committed even long before I ever drank, and there is just no way I could ever go back and repair them all ... and so, here is where my awareness of grace is truly key:

=====================
Grace, n. (Webster, 1869)
1. Favor; good will; kindness; disposition to oblige another; as a grant made as an act of grace.
2. Appropriately, the free unmerited love and favor of God, the spring and source of all the benefits men receive from him.
=====================

Fortunately, I have never had to do a single thing to actually earn permanent recovery.
=======================
"We A.A.s do not *stay* away from drinking [one day at a
time] -- we *grow* away from drinking [one day at a time]."
("Lois Remembers", page 168, quoting Bill, emphasis added)
=======================
leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Fri May 18, 2012 10:43 am

The spiritual life is not a theory. We have to live it.

As an atheist, out of the closet, I get asked here & there "How can you be spiritual?" The question comes in different forms but it is basically the same. The answer is that I am not interested in theories. Fact: I found out that I could not quit drinking by myself and that AA worked for millions of people. Fact: I found out early in sobriety that my actions created changes in my life that made me feel less irritable and discontent.

I read in the Big Book, page 84, "Love and tolerance of others is our code." A Code to me is a written law defining criminal or civil activity, a fact to live by.

Joe offered Webster's definition of grace
"...free unmerited love..."

I am obligated by the Code of AA to practice free, perhaps unmerited, love to all others. Fact: it is possible for me to act in such a way toward my fellows - at the least, I must put my ego aside and strive to do this. Service is one of the 3 Legacies and service is action - it is love in action.

Theories about how this all comes about do not interest me. In AA I have learned that the actions of this program do the job of keeping me sober and relatively sane. Action might even help someone else. If they ask, that is what I will tell them about my experience.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Forums Old Timer

Return to Big Book Study