10/25/08 BB Into Action p 72 (Digesting what we swallow)

The book Alcoholics Anonymous, aka The Big Book, is the basic text for the AA program of sobriety. "Alcoholics Anonymous" Copyright 2012 AAWS, Inc. All Rights, Reserved. Short excerpts used by permission of AAWS

10/25/08 BB Into Action p 72 (Digesting what we swallow)

Postby Karl R » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:49 am

Good Morning from Oregon,

HP, I humbly ask to be truthful and complete so I can see your will and way for my life and be useful once again. I ask for honesty in discerning the things I know and pray that the unknown is revealed to me.

Yesterday, we finished the chapter "How it Works". On a side note, I have to say that I am firmly convinced that the program of the steps as outlined in the BB does work. When I first came to this group it only took me a very few days to discern that there were many people here who had what I wanted. After a few more days and after asking the question I was blessed by people beginning to show me how it works. For that-I am grateful.

Now-on to the next thing. We are called "Into Action" by the BB. The fourth step required me to swallow and digest some big chunks of truth about myself. Most of these truths were not so pretty. I had to do something with all these chunks of truth to foster a new attitude, a new manner of living, a new relationship with my HP, and get these obstacles out of my pathway. The end of the 4th step is not somewhere that I could dwell at forever. I was called to do something with all this stuff. The next "something" was the 5th step---admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being, the exact nature of our defects.

There are three parts to the 5th step (God, ourself, and another human being). Anyone want to share of their ES and H on the need for all three parts in their 5th? Anyone care to share of their ES and H for the need of a 5th step at all (in other words-why a 5th step)?

have a great weekend,
Karl

Chapter 6

INTO ACTION

Having made our personal inventory, what shall we do about it? We have been trying to get a new attitude, a new relationship with our Creator, and to discover the obstacles in our path. We have admitted certain defects; we have ascertained in a rough way what the trouble is; we have put our finger on the weak items in our personal inventory. Now these are about to be cast out. This requires action on our part, which, when completed, will mean that we have admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being, the exact nature of our defects. This brings us to the Fifth Step in the program of recovery mentioned in the preceding chapter.
Last edited by Karl R on Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Karl R
Forums Old Timer

Postby martin08 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:13 pm

There are a few places in the Big Book that state, "We may not overcome drinking." Not completing a fifth step is where the warning is most urgent.

Bringing the support of God and another human being into the process made the fifth step much easier to follow through with thoroughness and honesty.
martin08
Forums Long Timer

Re: 10/25/08 BB Into Action p 72 (Digesting what we swallow)

Postby leejosepho » Sun May 06, 2012 12:22 pm

... the obstacles in our path ... certain defects ... the weak items in our personal inventory ... are about to be cast out. This requires action on our part ...

As I believe I first heard from "Charlie & Joe" (but possibly not in their actual words):

"It is the action we take against our thinking that can make us different (or bring about change)."

My old thinking had often been ego-driven, believing I could think my way into a new manner of living ... but now Step One had shown me the truth of that matter: "(a) That we ... could not manage our own lives." (page 60)

Then at other times in my past, I had occasionally tried to "pray things away" about myself ... and at least one of those times had even included something similar to "Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being ..."

However, the pastor's wife there with me at the altar that day -- I was about 12 at the time -- had only heard my "sins" and then said something like "Go, and sin no more ..." without anything ever being said about any personal defects making that impossible for me. So while the desire and possibly even the potential for "Good" were already there, I still had yet to be shown how that could actually become reality in my life.

This brings us to the Fifth Step in the program of recovery mentioned in the preceding chapter.

At least for myself, this is where A.A. began taking me on past any previous religious experience and on into a spiritual one.
=======================
"We A.A.s do not *stay* away from drinking [one day at a
time] -- we *grow* away from drinking [one day at a time]."
("Lois Remembers", page 168, quoting Bill, emphasis added)
=======================
leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Mon May 07, 2012 10:27 am

We have been trying to get a new attitude.... we have ascertained in a rough way what the trouble is;

By this time I was starting to see a pattern emerge with regard to the fear behind the ego and some of it was down right amazing. But this was all still "in my head" and a little on paper. Once I talked to my sponsor - aka took action - I owned my new knowledge at my inner most self. Because I had told my sponsor these things, (in fact worked through these things finding even more about myself than I had written) I found out that I was not so unique after all but also I became obliged to do some MORE action to be rid of the faulty thinking, if I was not she would be able to call me to the carpet on things. When I am questioning the reason for my "restless, irritable & discontent" she can readily point out my own words to me.

"Do the next right thing" has taken on a larger meaning because I know more about what is right for me.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Forums Old Timer

Postby leejosepho » Tue May 08, 2012 9:08 am

PaigeB wrote:"Do the next right thing" has taken on a larger meaning because I know more about what is right ...

Yes, and where even just knowing "the next right thing" used to be difficult, I now know the result that can come and it has become more difficult to *not* do it!
=======================
"We A.A.s do not *stay* away from drinking [one day at a
time] -- we *grow* away from drinking [one day at a time]."
("Lois Remembers", page 168, quoting Bill, emphasis added)
=======================
leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Tue May 08, 2012 10:14 am

Jumping ahead to the Promises on page 83, "... we would intuitively know how to handle situations which used to baffle us..."
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Forums Old Timer

Return to Big Book Study