10/13/08 BB How it works p 63 (promises)

The book Alcoholics Anonymous, aka The Big Book, is the basic text for the AA program of sobriety. "Alcoholics Anonymous" Copyright 2012 AAWS, Inc. All Rights, Reserved. Short excerpts used by permission of AAWS

10/13/08 BB How it works p 63 (promises)

Postby Karl R » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:58 am

Good Morning,

"God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference."

Yesterday we looked at the almost counterintuitive idea that letting our higher power take control gives us freedom to develop a new manner of living. At times, it's difficult to be just an actor and not try to run the show.

Today's reading, in red below, talks of the promises which become fulfilled by this sincere turning over. To get these promises fulfilled, I have to start each day and remind myself through the day that I am just an actor in this little drama. When I start each day and remind myself throughout the day of this things go a lot better. For me this doesn't mean giving up all planning and decision making--it just means starting and maintaining an attitude that my HP will show me his will through people, places, and things that I come in contact with. I can't force the day to my idea of what I want. It never works. The results-some relief from fear. We are reborn to a new manner of living.

How do you practice this turning over in your life? What are the promises fulfilled in your life from this turning over?

Have a great week all,
Karl

When we sincerely took such a position, all sorts of remarkable things followed. We had a new Employer. Being all powerful, He provided what we needed, if we kept close to Him and performed His work well. Established on such a footing we became less and less interested in ourselves, our little plans and designs. More and more we became interested in seeing what we could contribute to life. As we felt new power flow in, as we enjoyed peace of mind, as we discovered we could face life successfully, as we became conscious of His presence, we began to lose our fear of today, tomorrow or the hereafter. We were reborn.
Karl R
Forums Old Timer

Postby martin08 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:43 am

For all the years of anxiety and frustration coming up to this turning point, and realizing how perfectly well I had screwed up my life on my own, it was a major relief when I asked my Higher Power to take over.

If for nothing more than just the absolute release of the unbearable weight of anxiety, it was the most freeing event of my life. All major frustrations have been gone for over four years. Not just manageable - gone. He has the controls now.

If I could give one single aspect of the AA program to all alcoholics, it would be honestly turning the human will to God. But I can't give any more than my testimony.

So, I urge anybody, alcoholic or other, to give this paralyzing self will thing to the God of their own Understanding. Honestly, what is left to be lost?
martin08
Forums Long Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:10 am

When we sincerely took such a position, all sorts of remarkable things followed.

The key word here is sincere. I ask myself regularly, am I really sincere? Do i truly want to be relieved off the bondage of self? With Gods help we all can be.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby jujub » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:34 pm

evening all,

when i face a situation that is obviously way beyond my ability to handle, throwing up my hands and asking that hp to take it all--lock, stock and barrel--is a freeing experience. and there is a good amount of relief in that. trouble is, it usually takes a good deal of me trying to control and manipulate circumstances--without success--before i come to the realization once again that i can't do this alone. there is no relief from fear when i'm flying solo.

but there have been instances in my brief period of recovery when i have experienced first hand the loving care of a hp. the pervasive, all-encomposing fear i feel subsides. and i have a sneaking suspicion that all will be as it should be. yes, the universe is unfolding as it should. safety. that is one of the promises i feel when i invite my hp into my life.

judi, alcoholic
jujub
Forums Enthusiast

Re: 10/13/08 BB How it works p 63 (promises)

Postby leejosepho » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:28 am

When we sincerely took such a position ...
... [when] we decided that hereafter in this drama of life, God was going to be our Director. He is the Principal; we are His agents. He is the Father, and we are His children ... the keystone of the new and triumphant arch through which we passed to freedom ...

... all sorts of remarkable things followed.

Remarkable, miraculous (occurring through divine or supernatural intervention) ...

We had a new Employer. Being all powerful, He provided what we needed ...

No more self-reliance or "looking out for 'Number One'" ...

... if we kept close to Him and performed His work well.

Whose work?

... less and less interested in ourselves, our little [mere-human] plans and designs ...

Selfishness, self-centeredness and self-reliance (ego) are now about to be replaced by "constant thought of others" (page 20) or "other-centeredness" and reliance upon "God" and/or what is truly "Good" for all human beings ...

... interested in seeing what we could contribute to life ... reborn.

Our old ideas and ways are now about to pass away so all things in each of us can become new.
=======================
"We A.A.s do not *stay* away from drinking [one day at a
time] -- we *grow* away from drinking [one day at a time]."
("Lois Remembers", page 168, quoting Bill, emphasis added)
=======================
leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:33 am

we became less and less interested in ourselves, our little plans and designs. More and more we became interested in seeing what we could contribute to life.

I am one among many. It helps me to know that everyday I wake up with untreated alcoholism. I have to treat my alcoholism the same way I treat my fibromyalgia. It is a management issue... for pain I take certain pills that make my life bearable and allow me to function. For alcoholism, I take Step One and then I take an active part in my recovery by morning meditation and a loose plan for some activity and a meeting in the evening.

Being open minded is very important to me. I used to think that I knew how it was supposed to go and I was consciously directing the play. Now I realize the play was an illusion, a fear driven perspective of life. I am one among MANY (billions in fact). Not just a drunk among drunks, but a human in a human world. We need to help each other. We need to be openminded and "others focused" which means out of self & our self centered plans.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Forums Old Timer

Postby leejosepho » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:25 pm

PaigeB wrote:... a human in a human world. We need to help each other. We need to be openminded and "others focused" which means out of self & our self centered plans.

Absolutely, and that is our unity here:

"... restored and united under one (Good), with hearts and minds attuned to the welfare of others ..." (page 161)
=======================
"We A.A.s do not *stay* away from drinking [one day at a
time] -- we *grow* away from drinking [one day at a time]."
("Lois Remembers", page 168, quoting Bill, emphasis added)
=======================
leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Return to Big Book Study