BB/Pg. 62 -- "That, we think, is the root of our troubles."

The book Alcoholics Anonymous, aka The Big Book, is the basic text for the AA program of sobriety. "Alcoholics Anonymous" Copyright 2012 AAWS, Inc. All Rights, Reserved. Short excerpts used by permission of AAWS
Matthias
Forums Newcomer

BB/Pg. 62 -- "That, we think, is the root of our troubles."

Post by Matthias »

Interpretations, thoughts, ideas? What does this passage mean to you?

D'oh
Forums Old Timer

Re: BB/Pg. 62 -- "That, we think, is the root of our troubles."

Post by D'oh »

Selfishness—self-centeredness! That, we think, is the root of our troubles. Driven by a hundred forms of fear, self-delusion, self-seeking, and self-pity, we step on the toes of our fellows and they retaliate. Sometimes they hurt us, seemingly without provocation, but we invariably find that at some time in the past we have made decisions based on self which later placed us in a position to be hurt.
Now the Whole paragraph.

The World doesn't revolve around ME. I am to just Revolve on my HP's world.

tomsteve
Forums Long Timer

Post by tomsteve »

D'oh wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:57 am
Selfishness—self-centeredness! That, we think, is the root of our troubles. Driven by a hundred forms of fear, self-delusion, self-seeking, and self-pity, we step on the toes of our fellows and they retaliate. Sometimes they hurt us, seemingly without provocation, but we invariably find that at some time in the past we have made decisions based on self which later placed us in a position to be hurt.
Now the Whole paragraph.

The World doesn't revolve around ME. I am to just Revolve on my HP's world.
thanks for that. this is one part where the before and after of a part is important. i could add to the "...fear, self-delusion, self-seeking, and self-pity" with insecurities and low self esteem.

Matthias
Forums Newcomer

Post by Matthias »

My name is Matthias and I'm an alcoholic. I suppose it would be appropriate to tell you what I personally thought of this paragraph as well.
To me it means that, most of the time our own thinking is very flawed. We alcoholics must learn to rethink our own thinking on a daily basis. Most of us have wired our own brains to self-serve for so long that, if not checked, we will respond in this very manner by reflex. Again, if we continue to react in this way, all we will ever do is take ungratefully and disappoint, offend and abuse others. By being sober, responsible and putting others first we have broken this cycle, just for today.

D'oh
Forums Old Timer

Post by D'oh »

Our own thinking is Turned Over in the 3rd Step. Then the House Cleaning, Cleaning out the Obstacles in the way.

Eventually getting to the 11th Step, and it's Promises.
In thinking about our day we may face indecision. We may not be able to determine which course to take. Here we ask God for inspiration, an intuitive thought or a decision. We relax and take it easy. We don’t struggle. We are often surprised how the right answers come after we have tried this for a while.
[
b]
What used to be the hunch or the occasional inspiration gradually becomes a working part of the mind.
[/b] Being still inexperienced and having just made conscious contact with God, it is not probable that we are going to be inspired at all times. We might pay for this presumption in all sorts of absurd actions and ideas. Nevertheless, we find that our thinking will, as time passes, be more and more on the plane of inspiration. We come to rely upon it.
pg86

Spirit Flower
Forums Old Timer

Post by Spirit Flower »

The amazing thing about AA is that it is not about not drinking but about stuff like selfishness and dishonesty.
...a score card reading zero...

Wiganman
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Wiganman »

Spirit Flower wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:28 pm
The amazing thing about AA is that it is not about not drinking but about stuff like selfishness and dishonesty.
It will always fascinate me how they worked this solution out. Step one is the only step that mentions alcohol. The rest of the steps are dealing with a personality and spiritual void.

I never believed it would work until I was desperate enough to try it. Now I know it works!
"The first requirement is that we be convinced that any life run on self-will can hardly be a success." =ugeek

innermost
Forums Enthusiast

Post by innermost »

Surrender the self and trust in a HP.

That little giant leap is the only reason I am alive today.
Many don't make that leap, unfortunately.
The first 164 pg. is the program!

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB »

innermost wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:19 pm
Surrender the self and trust in a HP.

That little giant leap is the only reason I am alive today.
Many don't make that leap, unfortunately.
As an atheist I did meditative imaging... I was crossing the Bridge of Reason. My sponsor stayed on the Step 2 side of the Bridge waiting pariently in case I needed to fall back. There was a flute and a violin playing on the other shore and a desk with Step 4 paperwork... there was also a hill upon which a bright sunlight shown. I hung out in the middle for a while, but eventually I saw no real danger and I was able to cross.

That meditation has stuck with me ever since. :arrow:
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB