Big Book Study Tools

The book Alcoholics Anonymous, aka The Big Book, is the basic text for the AA program of sobriety. "Alcoholics Anonymous" Copyright 2012 AAWS, Inc. All Rights, Reserved. Short excerpts used by permission of AAWS

Big Book Study Tools

Postby tyg » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:50 am

What are some tools you use to study Alcoholics Anonymous literature?

Kudos to the "Little Red Book" it inspired me a lot to read, Alcoholics Anonymous. My travels to Reno, years back I found a mini AA that had a mini concordance in it. This book is on its last threads.

Then, Several months back I stumbled across "The Anonymous Press Concordance to Alcoholics Anonymous."

It is printed by...The Anonymous Press. they are made up of a bunch of AA members staying sober by carrying the message of AA. Our primary purpose is to carry the message by making our basic text affordable to all. Where we can, we also try to make the text easier to study and understand. It has been an invaluable tool me and others.

For any word one wants to look up, this concordance lists the word and includes the sentence it was used in. For Example:
Looking up the word Alcohol (33 entries)
85:1:2 We are headed for trouble if we do, for alcohol is a subtle foe.
66:3:7 We could not wis them away any more than alcohol.

Looking up the word promised (1 entry)
13:5:1 My friend promised when these things were done I would enter upon a new relationship with my Creator: that I would have the elements of a way of living which answered all my problems.
~The secret to the AA program is the first three words on page 112~
tyg
Forums Long Timer

Re: Big Book Study Tools

Postby leejosepho » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:16 am

Your "secret to the AA program...the first three words on page 112" was the first "tool" ever suggested to me and I employed it whole-heartedly even though I have never done well in trying to learn from printed text. I began reading anyway, of course, and I would read from the very beginning on through page 164 and then read a story...and then go right back to the beginning and then eventually go to the next story after having again arrived at page 164. Overall, and with a few restarts, I think that got me through the book close to thirty-five times over my first year.

The "Charlie & Joe" seminars came along next for me in the early '80s, and I was amazed by their ability to understand and clearly explain things I had read many times but just could not comprehend. It was at about that same time when I paid a few dollars to GSO for a copy of the book's "pre-publication multilith" or "original manuscript" from A.A. archives, and then I next went to work putting together a line-by-line comparison between that and our Basic Text so I could easily read the two on a single page and see "behind the scene" where "The Book That Started It All" (the original "working manuscript" with its hand-written notes now available to all) had begun.

A concordance can definitely be helpful, and I am grateful for having been cautioned to use one only for topical studies by always looking at context and allowing one "find" to lead to another rather than "landing" and "getting stuck" somewhere.

I have seen various "Study Guides" over the years, but I shy away from those because they are typically quite editorial in nature while being laden with personal philosophies, dogma, beliefs, convictions and or doctrines.
=======================
"We A.A.s do not *stay* away from drinking [one day at a
time] -- we *grow* away from drinking [one day at a time]."
("Lois Remembers", page 168, quoting Bill, emphasis added)
=======================
leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Postby Niagara » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:09 pm

Hey there Tyg,

I'm fortunate enough to have a sponsor who not only has done extensive Big book study, thoroughly enjoys teaching it too. That aside, I use the 12x12 which is a more in depth look at the steps, and I love 'the steps we took' by Joe mcQ (of joe and charlie)

I'm currently looking also at a website called barefoots world when I get a few minutes spare. Haven't gotten far into it yet, but it seems informative enough so far.
If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month -
Theodore Roosevelt
Niagara
Forums Old Timer

Postby tyg » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:10 pm

The "Charlie & Joe" seminars came along next for me in the early '80s, and I was amazed by their ability to understand and clearly explain things I had read many times but just could not comprehend.
Mark H. and Joe H explain things pretty good too.

"The Book That Started It All" (the original "working manuscript" with its hand-written notes now available to all) had begun.
I didn't know the original manuscript was available with the hand-written notes. Wonder why G.S.O. doesn't sell it :?

A concordance can definitely be helpful, and I am grateful for having been cautioned to use one only for topical studies by always looking at context and allowing one "find" to lead to another rather than "landing" and "getting stuck" somewhere.
Such a good point!!
Last edited by tyg on Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tyg
Forums Long Timer

Postby tyg » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:46 pm

Niagara wrote:Hey there Tyg,

I'm fortunate enough to have a sponsor who not only has done extensive Big book study, thoroughly enjoys teaching it too.
Hi Niagara...You are very lucky, I am amazed how many don't want to teach AA (aka big book). We have some Big Book study groups here but It was a challenge finding someone that would sit down more 1on1 with me.

That aside, I use the 12x12 which is a more in depth look at the steps
I love the 12 x 12 for the Traditions. But for understanding the program of recovery and alcoholism, even to this day, it is too complicated for me. Everything in it is just a big cluster swirl of information that is all over the place.
tyg
Forums Long Timer

Postby leejosepho » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:12 pm

tyg wrote:I didn't know the original manuscript was available with the hand-written notes. Wonder why G.S.O. doesn't sell it :?

I only learned about it just recently and I do not know, but I suspect our archives budget could not have afforded the cool million that would have been required at the 2007 auction. Lois had given the manuscript to a friend and then it had been auctioned the first time for even more in 2004, so maybe the two million projected for the 2007 auction had scared us away! In any case, the buyer was determined to get it into the hands of all and it is now available to anyone at all where I suspect GSO would have just locked it away in a vault along with many other things most A.A.s will never be able to access.

tyg wrote:I love the 12 x 12 for the Traditions. But for understanding the program of recovery and alcoholism, even to this day, it is too complicated for me. Everything in it is just a big cluster swirl of information that is all over the place.

The Traditions were definitely the focus and purpose of that book and with the Steps added to help sell it, but I do find, as proposed, that it can help to "broaden and deepen the understanding of the Twelve Steps as first written in the earlier work." However, I would agree that it does fall short at least at Step Four where Bill had either never fully sorted some things or else did not want to be completely honest. His job in our history was a very difficult one.
=======================
"We A.A.s do not *stay* away from drinking [one day at a
time] -- we *grow* away from drinking [one day at a time]."
("Lois Remembers", page 168, quoting Bill, emphasis added)
=======================
leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:47 am

Not to offend any of the good sponsors and good groups around, for me, the truths and inspirations came from workshops and talks that are freely available on the internet. I didn't have to submit to those "one day at at time", "90 in 90" and statements taken totally out of context. Like for instance, talk approaching a new-comer inside the rooms of AA with the "attraction not promotion" principle.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby sober_life » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:54 am

I use "Archway to Freedom" step workshop recordings.
By Paul F.
sober_life
Forums Enthusiast

Return to Big Book Study