Another Big Book Study?

The book Alcoholics Anonymous, aka The Big Book, is the basic text for the AA program of sobriety. "Alcoholics Anonymous" Copyright 2012 AAWS, Inc. All Rights, Reserved. Short excerpts used by permission of AAWS

Another Big Book Study?

Postby chefchip » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:49 pm

Greetings, all....

I have been thinking a lot lately about resurrecting the Big Book Study forum, mostly for entirely selfish reasons. Between odd and long work hours, a partner who is away with his ailing mother, fickle employees, etc., doing so in a face-to-face setting is not happening. Heck, I can't even get to my home group regularly these days. So.....

I was wondering if there was any interest in starting a Big Book Study here again? Not only would we have the shares of current members of e-AA but Karl R pointed me to an index of sorts for the last study. There are lots of amazing things there that we could reference as we go along. The last study was quite the mix of personal shares, historical facts, even Q&A posts. I can tell that, with that group, it must have been fascinating to be a part.

As I have imagined a study, with some suggestions of the forum moderators, there would be no discussion moderator, no timetable and no guidelines except the regular forum guidelines. We would start with a topic/reading/quotes from the book and let everyone share until it seemed right to move on. But that is just my imagination. It could be anything the group decides, really. While I spend lots of time with -- and love reading -- the last study shares, we have lots of people here now who weren't here then. I, for one, would love to hear what their thoughts on the book are as well as -- of course -- those of the old-timers who still haunt this forum! :wink:

As I said earlier I need something a little more focused than my program has been of late. Anyone else feel the need or desire?

Chip
The only constant in life is change.
chefchip
Forums Old Timer

Re: Another Big Book Study?

Postby avaneesh912 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:38 pm

I am in. Great idea.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby trail_wolf » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:46 pm

Hi Chip,

I would like to participate in a Big Book study. I always find myself leaving BB and 12x12 meetings wishing I had spoken up more or said something a little differently.
trail_wolf
Forums Enthusiast

Postby PaigeB » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:10 pm

I would love to do a Big Book Study as well! New or resurrected - both good.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby TonyWARMS » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:35 am

Yes.

Peace, Tony
"Nothing comes to stay. Everything comes to pass".
(I don't know where I heard this)
TonyWARMS
Forums Long Timer

Postby chefchip » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:01 pm

Well, cool. I am going to shoot for a first thread within the next few days, then. Unless someone has a better idea, I have always loved the first paragraph of the foreword to the first edition. Heck, that entire foreword is thought provoking. The beginning seems a logical place to begin!

After this first thread, I hope that others will volunteer to introduce new topics as we get to them. All you have to do is raise your cyber-hand in the form of a PM. Please do!

Also, just in case newcomers to e-AA are not aware of it, I am going to include below the copyright information and policies regarding the Big Book and other materials owned by AAWS. Please respect their rights.

FYI, here is a link to the electronic edition of the Big Book, found on AA's official web site: http://www.aa.org/bigbookonline/en_tableofcnt.cfm

Also, I mentioned a few days ago that there had been a previous Big Book Study on this site. I am sure many of you have read at least bits and pieces from it. An index was created by a member of that group. It is here and is very well organized: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=9572. We will be referring to it often, I am sure. Beware... following this link can be addictive. I have lost track of a few hours by doing so... :wink:

I'm looking forward to this. I, for one, need to jump start my program. It has been too easy getting into a rut. Thank you, in advance, to all who participate.

Chip

----------

AA World Services Inc. owns the copyrights to the Big Book. They grant limited rights for brief written quotes to any AA group for non-commercial purposes. As such, you will not see me nor, I hope, anyone else quoting entire chapters in this forum, to honor AAWS' status as copyright holders. Instead, my personal policy will be to provide links and references to the appropriate chapter in AA's electronic version for our members to follow and read, if they wish. Naturally, anyone is free to include short quotes from the book in their shares. Just please do so in the spirit of AAWS' very generous policy, and please include chapter and/or page attributions. For those who are interested, AAWS' fair use policy is here: http://aa.org/lang/en/subpage.cfm?page=480
chefchip
Forums Old Timer

Postby gonzo » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:11 pm

Yay! Sounds cool, and I'd like to be in also. Can someone PM me with the format or schedule?
Chris M.
a.k.a. gonzo, alcoholic math nerd
gonzo
Forums Enthusiast

Postby chefchip » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:26 am

Glad to hear it, Gonzo Chris! I know this will sound very un-alcoholic to you but.... what's a format? what's a schedule? where is the person in charge of this charade, anyway? :lol:

Unless there is a ground swell of support for something highly organized, it won't happen on my watch. I started out thinking about groundrules, formats, etc, and when I presented my thoughts to the other mods they graciously steered me in another direction. I express my gratitude for that coaxing, now, in the form of appreciation for Rule 62. Here's the plan, if it can be called a plan.

The format will be to post a topic from the Big Book, more or less in order from the forewords to page 164. The person presenting the topic (myself for the first one then others as we go along) will hopefully set the stage -- their thoughts, questions for discussion, etc. Then everyone else can jump in with their thoughts, questions, answers, experience, strength and hope.

As for a schedule we will let the topics and the resulting shares dictate that. As long as a topic seems to be active and helpful it can remain the focus of our study for a while. Once it seems that we have exhausted everything we want to say for the moment we move on. Naturally, since everything is written anyone can feel free at any time to go back and resurrected a previous thread and add something new.

Since I brought this whole thing up, I also volunteered to be the contact point for the forum. If anyone has any questions or concerns please contact me with them. And, even better, if anyone has any suggestions do the same. This is OUR study for OUR recovery on OUR forum.

Chip
chefchip
Forums Old Timer

Postby Layne » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:09 am

chefchip wrote:Unless there is a ground swell of support for something highly organized, it won't happen on my watch.

The only time I get highly organized is to oppose organization of any kind. Man is that alcoholic thinking or what?
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Postby gonzo » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:47 pm

chefchip wrote:The format will be to post a topic from the Big Book, more or less in order from the forewords to page 164. The person presenting the topic (myself for the first one then others as we go along) will hopefully set the stage -- their thoughts, questions for discussion, etc. Then everyone else can jump in with their thoughts, questions, answers, experience, strength and hope.
Excellent thanks, I was wondering if it would be in a registered-only area (I've not been able to access all board areas) but if it's open to all then cool! Can't wait! Thanks Chip!
Chris M.
a.k.a. gonzo, alcoholic math nerd
gonzo
Forums Enthusiast

Postby ann2 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:27 pm

Hi Gonzo,

Let me know which forums you'd like to access and I'll be happy to fix.

Glad you're here!

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby Jessica » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:38 am

Thanks Chip!
So glad i found this and thank you for starting it. I have to laugh though. I just found this "by accident" and it already started and i have a big desire to catch up because I'm behind even though my healthy brain knows it doesn't really matter just get started where you are. (looks like you started it last week) More spiritual development needed :D . Looking forward to it. Thank you. Oh and thanks for putting the dates on. totally satisfied my sense of needing to do things in an orderly fashion. yep, more spiritual development..
Jessica
Jessica
Forums Enthusiast

Postby chefchip » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:44 am

Glad you found us, Jessica. Yep, it just started. And it will be easy to "catch up," if you want and are compelled to do so. Besides, you can add your thoughts to the topics already posted if you want to. Here is a link to the index of the study. The topics are listed in order for those OCD-types amongst us -- not that there are any alcoholics who have this particular issue. :lol:

Chip

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=13752
chefchip
Forums Old Timer

Postby Anonymously_B » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:28 am

Greetings to everyone,

I have called myself Anonymously_B here because I need to use every tool available to remind me who I am. My nickname is "B" or "Bee", so adding anonymously is just claiming my seat.

I am returning to program after being out for pretty much what is described in the story "Acceptance is the Answer". I called into the forum today, and the moderator did not know she had muted the whole conference. She could not hear me, or anyone for that matter, but she picked the EXACT right story to read from the BB. I hope she reads this message because she could not have carried the message more relevant to me in my first days of recommitted sobriety.

In 2002, I got sober in AA based of the BB program of recovery with a BB sponsor. It was a wonderful, glorious, happy days in the sun recovery for four years. I walked on air. I lead meetings. I sponsored. I held intergroup positions. I was a model of sobriety. Then I hit a HUGE wall of HARD in graduate school. Wow! I so understand what the doctor is talking about in his story. I began to use alcohol to medicate my frustration, my fatigue, my self doubts, my angst. i drank to study. I drank to sleep. I drank to wake up. I drank non-stop. But, I never seem to get drunk. It just calmed me. I think some people called it even-ing out the highs and lows.

I graduated and kept drinking. For years now, I have wanted to come back, tried to come back, and not managed it. My bottom now is worse than any bottom before. I am dealing with wreckage professionally, financially, personally, and now, as a caregiver to my parents, who both have cancer, I am struggling to give them what they need. As the doctor says in the book, everything has to start with not taking that drink first. The chaos can be cleaned up. I can make amends. I can live in 10, 11, and 12, but it starts with not consuming alcohol in the liquid form or the solid form. ( I like that part too, because I could use my alcoholic mind to make the solid alcohol okay to do.)

So thanks to the moderater of the phone meeting today. Thanks for sticking it out even though you did not know I was there. Thanks for pointing me to just what I needed for today. Thank you for your service.

Glad to be back in the solution.
Anonymously_B
Sobriety Date: 4/22/2014
Anonymously_B
Forums Newcomer

Postby ann2 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:32 am

Hi B,

Good to read you and glad you shared! Thanks for your story.

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Next

Return to Big Book Study