What's your favourite piece out of the Big Book?

The book Alcoholics Anonymous, aka The Big Book, is the basic text for the AA program of sobriety. "Alcoholics Anonymous" Copyright 2012 AAWS, Inc. All Rights, Reserved. Short excerpts used by permission of AAWS

Re: What's your favourite piece out of the Big Book?

Postby Christal » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:02 pm

HI. I'm a recovering alcoholic, and found this site online. Don't know how it works yet (the site, I mean!). I often don't get to meetings any more due to medical reasons, so thought I'd have a look round online. I have no idea what will happen when I click 'send', but I do have a total trust in the AA program.
One of my favourite pieces out of the Big Book is "...There is no more 'aloneness', with that awful ache, so deep in the heart of every alcoholic that nothing, before, could ever reach it. That ache is gone and never need return again. Now there is a sense of belonging, of being wanted and needed and loved. In return for a bottle and a hangover, we have been given the Keys of the Kingdom" (From The Keys of The Kingdom)
Christal
Forums Newcomer

Postby Brock » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:58 pm

Hi and welcome Christal, well it worked when you hit send; this is a site with loads of fine folks who have varying lengths of sobriety and experiences.

For quite a while I used the keys of the kingdom saying as my signature, which is the wording you will see below many posts, (it can be put in by clicking on your name which brings up your profile). I always liked that saying but until now I didn’t know its origin.

We do have others here who find it difficult to attend meetings, please feel free to post anything you wish or ask questions, your pick of the quote is a good one, for really with sites like this there is no more ‘aloneness.’
The seed has been planted in his mind. He knows that thousands of men, much like himself, have recovered. B.B. P.113
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby cdogg556 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:54 pm

I can really relate to pg 62 and I like pg 417.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"If you want something different, do something you've never done"
cdogg556
Forums Enthusiast

Postby ann2 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:12 am

Thank you! Love the pics.

:D

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby PuppyEars » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:36 pm

The entire We Agnostics chapter floored me when I first read it probably because I was agnostic my entire life up until AA reached me. It was the chapter that set the hook in me. But if I had to choose it would be on page 55:

for deep down in every man, woman, and child, is the fundamental idea of God. It may be obscured by calamity, by pomp, by worship of other things, but in some form or other it is there

To me, this goes way way beyond alcoholics anonymous. This world is in the disasterous state it's in because of our seperation from God. My past actions before I came to believe contributed to the downfall of society and I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a sliver of leftover shame because of it.

Sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly.
Seriousness is a symptom of self-involvement. Seriousness is a symptom of control. Seriousness is a symptom of someone who is running the universe.
PuppyEars
Forums Contributor

Postby avaneesh912 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:56 am

I have come to appreciate every minute detail that the old-timers had pieced together to highlight the baffling nature of this disease. Throughout the book they have pointers that the problem of the alcoholic centers in the mind. But what is astonishing is, most of the people easily relate to the phenomenon of craving part and miss the crucial point that the alcoholic cannot stay away from the first drink unless he/she has a spiritual awakening, an attitude shift, a psychic change whatever you call it.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Postby cdogg556 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:17 am

avaneesh912 wrote:I have come to appreciate every minute detail that the old-timers had pieced together to highlight the baffling nature of this disease. Throughout the book they have pointers that the problem of the alcoholic centers in the mind. But what is astonishing is, most of the people easily relate to the phenomenon of craving part and miss the crucial point that the alcoholic cannot stay away from the first drink unless he/she has a spiritual awakening, an attitude shift, a psychic change whatever you call it.

Very good point avaneesh912, when I take that first drink I am sober, I don't yet have the "phenomenon of craving" yet, therefore I have a "spiritual malady" and have no defense against that first drink!
"If you want something different, do something you've never done"
cdogg556
Forums Enthusiast

Postby ezdzit247 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:27 pm

As a newcomer my favorite pieces out of the BB were the portions of Chapter 3, Chapter 5, and a "Vision For You" which were read aloud at every meeting I attended. Those readings and words were very comforting to me and kept me coming back.
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby Patsy© » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:46 pm

The Doctor's Opinion, when I read it years ago, it made sense and not much made sense when I first came through those doors of AA..... and it still makes sense today. I just love this part of the Big Book:

"Men and women drink essentially because they like the effect produced by alcohol. The sensation is so elusive that, while they admit it is injurious, they cannot after a time differentiate the true from the false. To them, their alcoholic life seems the only normal one."
Failed 12 Step Call? Not if we walk away sober!
Patsy©
Forums Contributor

Postby D'oh » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:24 pm

I can really relate to pg 62 and I like pg 417.

PG. 62, The only "Double Must" in the BB, of 100+ musts. I often read the rest of the 3rd Step, after How it Work's A,B,C's

And Dr. Paul's Storey, My favourite Personal Storey in the BB.
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby clouds » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:22 am

At this time I'm drawn to this sentence on page 61 in the paragraphs that preface taking step 3:

"Is he ( or she) not a victim of the delusion that he can wrest satisfaction and happiness out of this world if he only manages well?"

It points out the illusion of control that ego pride and fear drive us to imagine we have. A condition like that results in confusion and pain rather than harmony.

On the next page it says self-centeredness kills us and there is no way of getting rid of it without God.

Step three is vital.
" we were alcoholic and could not manage our own lives..... probably no human power could have relieved our alcoholism." page60 A.A.
clouds
Trusted Servant

Previous

Return to Big Book Study