Hi

All visitors are invited to "sign" the guest book.
meilander
Forums Newcomer

Hi

Post by meilander »

Hi,

I'm Elisabeth, I'm pretty sure I am an alcoholic...I went to rehab in May 2010 and since then have failed to maintain 30 days sobriety...I have got to 25+ days several times but never 30. I am ready for this nightmare to be over and just want to be sober...I haven't been to a meeting in over six months but I know I need to start again...I am out of reasons and excuses not to because I know there is a better life than this...

Lali
Forums Old Timer

Re: Hi

Post by Lali »

Hi, Elisabeth. There is a better life, I can promise you that. Please get to another meeting and start over. Come back and let us know how you are doing.
Step 1: I can't
Step 2: He can
Step 3: I think I'll let him

ann2
Forums Old Timer

Post by ann2 »

Hi Elisabeth, welcome! I hope you find some hope by reading the posts here in the forums. All I wanted was not to drink, and AA gave me that -- and so much more.

You are needed here --

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada

Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Post by Mike O »

Hi Elisabeth,

Welcome to the group.

The 12 steps to your recovery are contained in the Big Book called Alcoholics Anonymous. Until you get to a meeting, in the meantime, please begin to read your book again.
If you don't have one there's a copy online here:
http://www.aa.org/bigbookonline/

-Mike :D

Marc L
Forums Old Timer

Post by Marc L »

Hello Elizabeth;
I'm Marc and I'm Alcoholic.
It's been years since I've set foot in a treatment center, what are they asking people to do nowadays?

Marc
Recovery won't just happen by Osmosis. You gonna' have to work at it some.
12th Step work ain't just a job... It's an Adventure.

meilander
Forums Newcomer

Post by meilander »

Hi everyone!

Thanks for the encouragement! I really appreciate it...I went to a meeting tonight and it felt really great...now I just have to concentrate on sticking to it and eventually getting a sponsor....wish me luck! six days sober...I'm 27 and haven't been sober for more than 28 days straight since I have been 18...

Lali
Forums Old Timer

Post by Lali »

Hi, Elisabeth! I'm so happy you made it to a meetng! Now you just need to get a sponsor and follow the suggestions!
Step 1: I can't
Step 2: He can
Step 3: I think I'll let him

Todd M
Trusted Servant

Post by Todd M »

meilander wrote: ...six days sober...I'm 27 and haven't been sober for more than 28 days straight since I have been 18...
That reminds me... I am Todd, alcoholic... i can relate... that feeling i had, when it hit me...
more days sober than ever... in a real long time...
for me it was 6 days aswell, that felt so unReal... due to showing up at meetings mostly...
I had promissed myself so many times, dont drink for a week, just to try and prove i sill had will power over booze...
then fail at 4 or 5 days... and start drinking again... just one or two... then... out of control again.

still today... a 4 years, 8 mths, everyday... i get honest in front of the mirror... and start my Day
"TODD" your alcoholic, and that will never change, and silently pray the rest of the Sereity Prayer.

Sober Journey to us all... Love ya
There is Hope, Todd M
Keep it Simple

The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link:
http://www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php

ann2
Forums Old Timer

Post by ann2 »

Great to hear Elisabeth -- I was about your age when I got to AA and it was the best thing I ever did for myself. Now 24 sober years later I can appreciate all the work I put into my sobriety in the beginning, and wonder how I ever managed! Well, it was through the help of the fellowship and a power greater than myself. That's the only explanation because on my own I drank.

Hope to keep reading you here --

hugs from Sweden!!

Ann

meilander
Forums Newcomer

Post by meilander »

Last edited by meilander on Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

ann2
Forums Old Timer

Post by ann2 »

Hi,

My problem was a combination, but my sponsor's wasn't, and that worked. Later, I got another sponsor whose problem was another combination, but mine wasn't. That worked too. I am in AA because I identify with the description of the alcoholic in the Big Book and other AA-related reading. I did that reading and examination while delving into Step 1. Have you explored step 1? You might find that you don't need any particular flavor of sponsor, just one who is willing to go through the steps with you.

I would advise against this conviction of uniqueness; it's part of our illness.

Ann

Conan
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Conan »

Some of us need a recovering member who takes us to meetings by encouraging us so that meetings are important to us and then we rely on ourselves
My soul ... do not see Do not hear Do not speak ... Taste things only ... likes or dislikes ...