Visiting Family in a Small Town

All visitors are invited to "sign" the guest book.
Karma2424
Forums Newcomer

Visiting Family in a Small Town

Post by Karma2424 »

Good Morning,
I’m Sarah. I’m going on 5 months sober and I work a pretty strong AA program that includes frequent meetings, stepwork, accountability to a sponsor, and a tight fellowship of women who I communicate with throughout the day. I am currently visiting family in a small town and I don’t feel comfortable going to meetings here since my family is well-known here and everyone tends to gossip. My sponsor suggested that I get active with AA online.
I’ve tried to get sober many times, but this time I still feel that I want to be sober even approaching the 5-month mark. I’ve been doing all of the above-mentioned items to help with my sobriety, but one thing stands out in particular that’s been a great help. The difference this time around is that I stay close with my sobriety “sisters”-the other women that my sponsor also sponsors. We attend meetings together frequently, including our home group. But we also stay in contact through a group text and meet frequently for events and things to do while sober. Having other women to vent to or share accomplishments with, and to be accountable to and spend time with has made all the difference. AA doesn’t just become a necessary chore, but it weaves itself into my everyday life and makes the program enjoyable.
If you want to get sober but don’t want to be miserable sitting through meetings, I suggest finding a few other friends in sobriety who intend to do what it takes to be sober also. Drag each other to meetings, go for coffee or another event, stay in contact about frustrations and successes, celebrate AA milestones, etc. Fellowshipping has made the difference this time around to not only keep me sober, but also make sobriety enjoyable and something I feel I can keep up-at least for today. Thanks for letting me share! =biggrin

Brock
Forums Old Timer

Re: Visiting Family in a Small Town

Post by Brock »

Hi Sarah, welcome to e-AA.

As you say AA can become part of everyday life, and most importantly enjoyable, I think your post carries a powerful message especially to newcomers, and we get a fair amount of new folks here, they may not post anything but rather just enjoy reading. In that respect it’s not like a regular meeting, and the amount of posts goes up and down, it’s been a bit quiet lately, and new members like yourself are particularly welcome.

My own program is quite different to yours, but as they say whatever works. I am usually a once a week meeting maker, sometimes twice a week, and not in touch with any AA’s outside of those meetings, (except here). But then I have a good number of years under my belt, and this forum has been a place to check in a few times each day, and even though I may never meet the other members, there is a feeling almost like we do know each other. What helped me greatly in the past, and I still use every now and then, is to go to you tube and type in ‘AA Speakers,’ there are a wide variety and I learned a lot from them.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Re: Visiting Family in a Small Town

Post by PaigeB »

Karma2424 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:45 am
Good Morning,
I’m Sarah. I’m going on 5 months sober and I work a pretty strong AA program that includes frequent meetings, stepwork, accountability to a sponsor, and a tight fellowship of women who I communicate with throughout the day.
.... If you want to get sober but don’t want to be miserable sitting through meetings, I suggest finding a few other friends in sobriety who intend to do what it takes to be sober also. Drag each other to meetings, go for coffee or another event, stay in contact about frustrations and successes, celebrate AA milestones, etc. Fellowshipping has made the difference this time around to not only keep me sober, but also make sobriety enjoyable and something I feel I can keep up-at least for today. Thanks for letting me share! =biggrin
Often these friend are just a phone call away! If you want a friend MAKE ONE - and BE a good friend!

Answer the phone and dial some gals today! Texting is good too!
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB