HI I'm Guy and i'm an alcoholic and addict.

All visitors are invited to "sign" the guest book.
BillyRocks
Forums Newcomer

HI I'm Guy and i'm an alcoholic and addict.

Post by BillyRocks » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:49 pm

HI all my name is Guy and I'm an alcoholic and addict,

7 weeks roughly sober and clean,

Been going to meeting every week usually twice, I am really enjoying the AA experience, its all new to me.
I have some questions i'm hoping i can get help with here,
Having met some amazing people who have something remarkable with there sobriety. I've got a few phone numbers but am a bit scared or not understanding as to why i should call people. This is probably me being inept at living a sober life.
One of the meetings i have been going to is a 12 step/traditions meeting. On my first meeting we where on step one but now we are on step 5 and I feel as though I'm a bit out of my league. Should I change meetings? I like the crowd at the is meeting.
Getting a sponsor; I am serious this time around and accepting that this is how it will be. How do I ask someone to be my sponsor? Is it like asking someone out on a date? or to coffee with commitment? yes I can see my head is overthing this but some guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for listening...?

Brock
Trusted Servant

Re: HI I'm Guy and i'm an alcoholic and addict.

Post by Brock » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:23 pm

Welcome here Guy, congrats on the 7 weeks.

My home group is a 12 step/tradition Sunday morning meeting, I see no harm in you listening to steps which don’t really apply to you at this time, it’s OK to hear what’s ahead, and to me liking a particular crowd is important, anywhere we feel comfortable is best.

Being asked to sponsor someone is a sort of honer, and even though sometimes a person can’t do it at a particular time, they will always be pleased to be asked. It’s just a simple would you be my sponsor, or would you help me with the steps, no commitment which is something I love about AA, sometimes but not often we may even have a reason to change sponsors. It’s best to look for a person who speaks like he knows the steps and big book, and looks sort of happy in his sobriety.

The phone number deal is common, I really didn’t use it because like you I didn’t know what it was for. I now understand that it helps us reach out to others and maybe become more friendly, so if we need help we won’t be shy in calling. Some say it’s to call if you feel like drinking/using, and hopefully they talk you out of it, maybe that works sometimes so it’s no harm having them.

Don’t worry about overthinking we all did it, but really it’s a simple program, having you here reminds us of our own overthinking, helps us remember where we all started, please stick with it, this program will have you forgetting booze and drugs and will put a smile on your face as well.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."

Jojo2
Trusted Servant

Post by Jojo2 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:04 am

Welcome Guy.

You may find the following AA pamphlet informative regarding Sponsorship;

This provides an excellent introduction on sponsorship, permanent or temporary, with questions and answers:

Questions and Answers on Sponsorship:
http://aa.org/pdf/products/p-15_Q&AonSpon.pdf

To help guide you towards the Twelve Steps, we provide a Temporary Sponsor facility here at e-AA.

To be assigned a temporary sponsor, please complete the form here:

http://www.e-aa.org/form_sponsors.php

A temporary sponsor is a sober member of Alcoholics Anonymous who is willing to share their experience, strength, and hope with another alcoholic as a way of service to help insure their own sobriety.

Their main function is to help guide the new person towards the 12 Steps, and also, where appropriate, to help guide the new person to face to face meetings and a f2f sponsor in their local AA community.

Please do ask if you have questions or need further assistance.

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:44 am

One of the meetings i have been going to is a 12 step/traditions meeting. On my first meeting we where on step one but now we are on step 5 and I feel as though I'm a bit out of my league. Should I change meetings? I like the crowd at the is meeting.
Time where the open discussion meetings dominate the schedule, we should be happy that we have meetings that are focused on steps and traditions. Also look for Big book based meetings. Grab a guy with whom you can relate to ensure that he has an understanding of the workings of the steps and ask him to be the sponsor and start working the steps.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:27 am

Walk right up to the person you want to ask, insinuate yourself into a conversation if you must, and say, "Hi Bob. I'd like to talk to you about you being my sponsor. Can I get your number so we can set up a meeting?" If you already have the guy's number just call and blurt it out.

It is only like a date because they can say yes or no - but this is a life or death mission. If they say they cannot do it, call another guy on the list. Anyone who has had a sponsor can BE a sponsor. Be on time for the meeting and there is no need to bring flowers, just your Big Book and Honest Open Willing (HOW) mind.

As a suggestion, a respected member of AA told me to read what is known around here as "the Step before the Steps" on the 2nd paragraph of page 34. As for a sponsor, see page 18 starting at "But the ex-problem drinker" thru the top of page 19.

Enjoy the Journey!
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB

BillyRocks
Forums Newcomer

Post by BillyRocks » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:35 pm

Thanks All,

This is why I am loving AA. Good sound advice when my head is trying to send me in the other direction.

Guy