Hello everyone I'm Cory and I'm an alcoholic

All visitors are invited to "sign" the guest book.
corydawn
Forums Newcomer

Hello everyone I'm Cory and I'm an alcoholic

Post by corydawn » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:31 am

Its been almost 2 years that I have been trying to quit drinking and admitted I was an alcoholic. I have gone to AA meetings but I only have 25% of my hearing and find it difficult to follow what is said or be able to hear peoples story's, so i quit going. Because of that I also tend to isolate. I made it 8 months sober before I had a relapse, then my husband passed away last year and I hit the bottle hard. I was in self destruct mode and believe trying to kill myself. I quit again March 5 of this year I was doing good until yesterday. It was the one year anniversary of my husbands death and I felt the world crumble around me.

I am realizing that I cannot do this journey on my own. I don't have the option of calling the help line because of my hearing and I don't have any contacts with other members of AA. I need support and fellowship with other people who know the struggles that I go through.
I joined e-AA yesterday and just learning my way around the site. I'm thinking online support is better than no support.

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Re: Hello everyone I'm Cory and I'm an alcoholic

Post by PaigeB » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:31 pm

Sorry to hear about your loss Cory. I can't imagine what you must be going through, but I have faith that with AA and the Steps I can get through whatever life & death throw at me.

I have found that face to face AA has been indispensable to me... There is just something in the Air... an energy of Love that you can only get face to face. And Hugs... sometimes I need a hug or 5! Online meetings are a good asset for daily contact with alcoholics. It has worked for me!

I hope this helps. Bless you in Your Journey. They say, "It gets easier" and I hope it does for you. (((hugs)))
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB

Brock
Trusted Servant

Post by Brock » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:34 pm

Welcome to e-AA corydawn.

I expect that an online site like this would be the right thing for a person who is unable to benefit from meetings, before I forget I will give you the link for another section of this site which hosts email meetings, and apart from here at the discussion forums you might consider that - http://e-aa.org/talk.php

The cycle of trying to stop and then relapsing is something I remember well, our literature says it’s common for the alcoholic, and that without a spiritual awaking by way of the 12 steps we simply can’t stop permanently, most importantly stop and be happy about it.

I expect others will be along to offer words of encouragement, please feel free to also ask any questions or make any comments here, we love having newcomers and it helps us as well.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."

Spirit Flower
Forums Old Timer

Post by Spirit Flower » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:44 pm

Welcome Cory
...a score card reading zero...

Jojo2
Trusted Servant

Post by Jojo2 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:18 am

corydawn wrote: I also tend to isolate.

Welcome Cory

Here at eAA, we have mailing lists and these discussion forums where you
will find much support and hear from other members how it worked for us.

There is an e-AA discussion Forum dedicated to Newcomers
http://www.e-aa.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=11

Our Email Recovery Meeting has daily and weekly readings from AA approved literature, with a range
of recovery topics. You can subscribe here:

http://e-aameetings.org/mailman/listinf ... etings.org

e-AA also provides a temporary sponsor facility. This was designed to be an email arrangement although some use Skype or telephone by personal arrangement.
The arrangement has proved invaluable for many who are unable to access face to face AA.
To request a temporary sponsor to get you started with the AA programme,
please complete the form here:

http://www.e-aa.org/form_sponsors.php

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:24 pm

Cory welcome to the forums.

if you are looking for workshops on big books, google """joe and charlie transcript 1996""" and you could read through the transcripts of one. I really enjoyed those workshops and I still do. You will have a thorough understanding on the concepts laid out in the book. I am not sure when you say you were in AA for 8 months, if you ever had an opportunity to go through the book with a sponsor. Understanding step 1- powerlessness and un-manageability, how they feed into each other is very critical. It helped me take that deep dive into the rest of the 12 steps so I could experience the power the book talks about.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)