12th January Daily Reflection

Daily Readings, feel free to add your thoughts on the topic; share your experience, strength & hope with us. The Daily Reflection is reprinted from “Daily Reflections” with permission from A.A. World Services Incorporated and is reproduced in part here within the closed (registered users only) forums of the E-AA Group of Alcoholics Anonymous. This book is not reproduced in full within our venue.
Brock
Trusted Servant

12th January Daily Reflection

Post by Brock »

ACCEPTING OUR PRESENT CIRCUMSTANCES

Our very first problem is to accept our present circumstances as they are, ourselves as we are, and the people about us as they are. This is to adopt a realistic humility without which no genuine advance can even begin. Again and again, we shall need to return to that unflattering point of departure. This is an exercise in acceptance that we can profitably practice every day of our lives.
Provided we strenuously avoid turning these realistic surveys of the facts of life into unrealistic alibis for apathy or defeatism, they can be the sure foundation upon which increased emotional health and therefore spiritual progress can be built.
— AS BILL SEES IT, p. 44

When I am having a difficult time accepting people, places or events, I turn to this passage and it relieves me of many an underlying fear regarding others, or situations life presents me. The thought allows me to be human and not perfect, and to regain my peace of mind.

From the book Daily Reflections
Copyright © 1990 by Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
DaveP1951
Forums Enthusiast

Re: 12th January Daily Reflection

Post by DaveP1951 »

Our very first problem is to accept our present circumstances as they are, ourselves as we are, and the people about us as they are.
I had, and still can have, a huge problem accepting people, places, and things as being what they are. What makes it easier to accomplish this act of acceptance is the following statement from the Big Book.........

"When I am disturbed, it is because I find some person, place, thing or situation -- some fact of my life -- unacceptable to me, and I can find no serenity until I accept that person, place, thing or situation as being exactly the way it is supposed to be at this moment."
Sometimes a few words added to a thought can make a big difference.
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Post by Layne »

When I can accept the present circumstances as they are, myself as I am, and the people about me as they are, the impact of my ego is minimized; which lends to me being able to make better decisions, which lends to me taking better actions.

If I am not happy with the present situation and would like to change things about it, I will make better decisions and then be able to take better actions, if I minimize the impact of my ego on the present situation.

Humility and ego are inversely proportional. Value judgements come from my ego, but they can block me from acceptance. Acceptance is not about liking or disliking. Those are value judgements. I need to practice acceptance before placing value judgements. If I am in acceptance and humility, then I can place a value judgement, then I can decide on a course of action.

If I bypass acceptance and go to value judgements first, I am giving the green light to my ego and things go sideways fast.
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB »

Our very first problem is to accept our present circumstances as they are, ourselves as we are, and the people about us as they are. This is to adopt a realistic humility without which no genuine advance can even begin. Again and again, we shall need to return to that unflattering point of departure. This is an exercise in acceptance that we can profitably practice every day of our lives.
Provided we strenuously avoid turning these realistic surveys of the facts of life into unrealistic alibis for apathy or defeatism, they can be the sure foundation upon which increased emotional health and therefore spiritual progress can be built.
— AS BILL SEES IT, p. 44

When I am having a difficult time accepting people, places or events, I turn to this passage and it relieves me of many an underlying fear regarding others, or situations life presents me. The thought allows me to be human and not perfect, and to regain my peace of mind.
"Adopt" a "realistic humility" Sigh... I did civil law in my working days and ADOPT is not as easy as it sounds! Usually this entails asking a parent to give up their rights - and this is HARD. WE have to give up our egos and find a "realistic" humility (not lower than dirt humility but one that allows me to be human and not perfect).

THEN another hard one: Again and again, we shall need to return to that unflattering point of departure. We have to PRACTICE our piece of the song no matter how poorly it sounds LOL. "This is an exercise in acceptance that we can profitably practice every day of our lives."

I do the work and I get paid the promise of a "sure foundation". Simple as that!
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Post by Layne »

Recently saw this, don't remember where, but thought it apropos to today's reading.
“When you go out into the woods, and you look at trees, you see all these different trees. And some of them are bent, and some of them are straight, and some of them are evergreens, and some of them are whatever. And you look at the tree and you allow it. You see why it is the way it is. You sort of understand that it didn’t get enough light, and so it turned that way. And you don’t get all emotional about it. You just allow it. You appreciate the tree.

The minute you get near humans, you lose all that. And you are constantly saying ‘You are too this, or I’m too this.’ That judgment mind comes in. And so I practice turning people into trees. Which means appreciating them just the way they are.”― Ram Dass