11th January Daily Reflection

Daily Readings, feel free to add your thoughts on the topic; share your experience, strength & hope with us. The Daily Reflection is reprinted from “Daily Reflections” with permission from A.A. World Services Incorporated and is reproduced in part here within the closed (registered users only) forums of the E-AA Group of Alcoholics Anonymous. This book is not reproduced in full within our venue.
Brock
Trusted Servant

11th January Daily Reflection

Post by Brock »

THE 100% STEP

Only Step One, where we made the 100 percent admission we were powerless over alcohol, can be practiced with absolute perfection.
TWELVE STEPS AND TWELVE TRADITIONS, p. 68

Long before I was able to obtain sobriety in A.A., I knew without a doubt that alcohol was killing me, yet even with this knowledge, I was unable to stop drinking. So, when faced with Step One, I found it easy to admit that I lacked the power to not drink. But was my life unmanageable? Never! Five months after coming into A.A., I was drinking again and wondered why.
Later on, back in A.A. and smarting from my wounds, I learned that Step One is the only Step that can be taken 100%. And that the only way to take it 100% is to take 100% of the Step. That was many twenty-four hours ago and I haven't had to take Step One again.

From the book Daily Reflections
Copyright © 1990 by Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Indianapolis
Trusted Servant

Re: 11th January Daily Reflection

Post by Indianapolis »

I often say that Step 1 took me the most time, and also the least time, to get right of any step.

The "most time" because I spent years denying that I was powerless. Years claiming that my life was manageable. And failing, over and over and over again to abide by the rules I set for myself. It took me years of ego-crushing self abuse to finally say "ok, I give up, I can't control this beast."

But once I came in for help, Step 1 took the "least time" of any other step I'd work. I had years of history showing me that I was powerless. There was no doubt my life was unmanageable. So it was easy for me to do Step 1, 100%.

Those years of pain made it possible. Therefore, it was the longest and shortest step for me. And absolutely the most important.
DaveP1951
Forums Enthusiast

Post by DaveP1951 »

"I learned that Step One is the only Step that can be taken 100%. And that the only way to take it 100% is to take 100% of the Step. "

Sometime ago I read an article that talked about a 100 % rule. The gist of it is that it's easier to hold your principles 100 percent of the time than it is to hold them 98 percent of the time. Part of the reasoning being is if you're only 98 percent committed to something then that means you haven't yet fully made the decision.

In our early recovery we are fore-warned by others in AA there will be times that we will end up in situations that the thought of drinking will occur. If, when faced with a drinking situation, we have to weight back and forth in our minds what we are going to do we could end up with what is known as "decision fatigue." It can tend to wear one down to the point where we just give up and give in.

And besides, by only partly committing myself to the goal of life long sobriety, I am creating a lesser goal. And, as the saying goes....“We are kept from our goal not by obstacles but by a clear path to a lesser goal.” That lesser goal being what the Big Book refers to as half measures. The more I practice perfection (100% rule) in terms of step one, the simpler I keep the goal and the less complicated decisions I have to deal with.
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Post by Layne »

I often say that Step 1 took me the most time, and also the least time, to get right of any step. The "most time" because I spent years denying that I was powerless. Years claiming that my life was manageable. And failing, over and over and over again... But once I came in for help, Step 1 took the "least time" of any other step I'd work. I had years of history showing me that I was powerless. There was no doubt my life was unmanageable.
Bingo, that is my story and told better than I tell it.

The list of reasons/examples of my powerlessness were blatantly obvious, but only when I was ready for help.
I drank at times that I didn't want to.
I drank more than I wanted to.
I never set out to get drunk, but every time I drank, I got drunk.
If I was awake, I was drinking.
I couldn't "sleep" through the night without having to get up and pound a few beers because my body was screaming for alcohol, so that I could then go back to "sleep".
The first time I went cold turkey, I had a seizure from acute alcohol withdrawal. Those seizures can be fatal unless prompt medical attention is received. I got an ambulance ride to the ER, IVs in the arms, drugs to mitigate the seizures. The whole nine yards.
Less than two weeks later, I was drinking again.

But what about my life being unmanageable. I mean come on, I was the owner of a successful business. I was an award winning chef. I was married with no history of divorces. I owned my home. I paid my bills on time. I had no jail time. No DUIs.
The list of reasons/examples of the unmanageability of my life were blatantly obvious, but only when I was ready for help.
I drank at times that I didn't want to.
I drank more than I wanted to.
I never set out to get drunk, but every time I drank, I got drunk.
If I was awake, I was drinking.
I couldn't "sleep" through the night without having to get up and pound a few beers because my body was screaming for alcohol, so that I could then go back to "sleep".
The first time I went cold turkey, I had a seizure from acute alcohol withdrawal. Those seizures can be fatal unless prompt medical attention is received. I got an ambulance ride to the ER, IVs in the arms, drugs to mitigate the seizures. The whole nine yards
Less than two weeks later, I was drinking again.

Yeah definitely the longest and shortest for this alcoholic. Eleven years to take and a nanosecond to complete.