I think its rude !

Got an issue with someone or something? Want to whine a little? Here's the place to do it, or to get to know folks, or ask those questions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: I think its rude !

Postby PaigeB » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:30 pm

But hey, step kids are called step kids because they force you to work the steps.

Hysterical!!! :lol: :lol:
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Forums Old Timer

Postby Brock » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:10 pm

I suspect that some of the younger folk think we older heads are complaining about texting without good reason. I don’t want to go into my “in the good old days” speech, but really when I was younger we showed a hell of a lot more respect for others than I see these days, particularly we were taught to respect our elders.

I agree with what Tosh said since I have had similar experiences with my wife’s grandkids, but in those cases I figured they felt a little shy to speak so occupied themselves texting to look busy. But there is a whole lot of difference between texting when nobody is speaking, and doing it when common decency says we should at least show interest; even if we fake it, in what a person is saying.

I have also seen reports that indicate this form of communication is producing people who lack verbal communication skills; the term “social anxiety” is bandied about these days, and so many newcomers seem afraid of meetings because of this and what they say is a fear of speaking in public. It is one thing to be a little shy, but I believe the dreaded cell phones will produce a generation far less capable of holding intelligent conversation than the generation in which the older ones among us were bought up.

And it makes me sad if someone can’t see that looking down and fiddling with a phone when a fellow alcoholic is attempting to offer their ES&H is downright bad manners.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Lali » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:23 pm

For me, it's as simple as this, if you want to be treated with respect, you've got to have respect for others.
Step 1: I can't
Step 2: He can
Step 3: I think I'll let him
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby Jaywalker Steve » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:04 am

When I have a resentment justified or not, the prescription is the same; talk it through, pray and turn my thoughts to someone in need. We're not in AA because we're models of spiritual, mental and emotional health. Live and let live.
Every group has men and women who put too much thought and effort into their daily sobriety and not enough of themselves into their daily living. - Ed B., Akron, OH
Jaywalker Steve
Forums Long Timer

Postby Brock » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:56 am

Not sure where the idea came from that people who think it’s rude to use phones in meetings have a resentment, nobody mentioned that. Also the live and let live slogan is useful but I believe often overused, it should not mean that we turn a blind eye when people are disrespectful.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Spirit Flower » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:44 am

I see people texting and playing games on their phones. Pity is, they are missing the meeting.
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Forums Old Timer

Postby Layne » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:27 am

I try to remember that my definition of rude behavior is just that, "my" definition. I have never been good at living by "the" rules, but I have come to realize that I want to live by my moral compass while not expecting or worse demanding that other people use the same compass. I get off course on occasion (multiple times daily) but it usually happens when I take my eyes off of my compass in order to observe other people.
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Postby ezdzit247 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:21 pm

Jaywalker Steve wrote:When I have a resentment justified or not, the prescription is the same; talk it through, pray and turn my thoughts to someone in need. We're not in AA because we're models of spiritual, mental and emotional health. Live and let live.

Amen to that.

I've never had a resentment that I couldn't totally justify and those are the worst kind for me or any other alcoholic. I've learned the hard way that the only way to get rid of them is "talk it through, pray and turn my thoughts to someone in need." That works really really well.

Keep coming back....
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby Spirit Flower » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:37 pm

Funny story.

tonight I was sitting next to a guy who was busy with his phone. Suddenly he nudges me and shows it to me. I took it. It was a long sobriety prayer/poem he had written. It was outstanding. Of course, then I had to ask him if he would put my number in his phone so he could send it to me.

You would never guess that this guy was a poet. What a special thing that he decided to show it to me.
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Forums Old Timer

Postby ezdzit247 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:43 pm

Spirit Flower wrote:Funny story.

tonight I was sitting next to a guy who was busy with his phone. Suddenly he nudges me and shows it to me. I took it. It was a long sobriety prayer/poem he had written. It was outstanding. Of course, then I had to ask him if he would put my number in his phone so he could send it to me.

You would never guess that this guy was a poet. What a special thing that he decided to show it to me.

Great story. Love it!
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Previous

Return to If It Doesn't Fit Anywhere Else