Serenity Prayer

Got an issue with someone or something? Want to whine a little? Here's the place to do it, or to get to know folks, or ask those questions that don't fit anywhere else.
pat022305
Forums Enthusiast

Serenity Prayer

Post by pat022305 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:26 pm

Much of the time when I go to a meeting online, the meeting opens with the NA serenity prayer: "Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference" The AA Serenity Prayer is on page 41 of the 12 & 12 and has the word 'the' in it only 4 times. I know I'm anally retentive, but it amazes me how few people in AA seem to know the difference.
Great Spirit, help me to be strong
not so that I can triumph over my
brothers but to protect me
from my greatest enemy,
Myself

Jim 725

Post by Jim 725 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:16 pm

I know I'm anally retentive, but it amazes me how few people in AA seem to know the difference.
How many speakers have you heard say, "The Big Book says I'm supposed to tell you what it was like, what happened, and what it's like now."?
Jim S.

martin08
Forums Long Timer

Post by martin08 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:46 pm

All my prayers begin with "God". He has never seemed to care what comes next. When I pray by myself, or with an AA or NA group, it is for all who need recognition of their own Higher Power, first, and for myself to be of better service to God and others, last. Serenity has flowed in ten-fold over the effort I put in to assist others. It's a miracle...

hazel4

Serenity Prayer

Post by hazel4 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:27 am

If anyone cares to look on the web (Wikipedia) at Reinhold Niebuhr's original version (although some say he was not the originator), they will find a somewhat different phraseology, i.e.:-

"God give us the grace to accept with serenity the things that cannot be changed, courage to change the things that should be changed, and the wisdom to distinguish the one from the other."

The full version of his was considerably longer and a number of people, including the Federal Council of Churches and the United States armed forces, have changed it considerably.

Does it honestly matter? Like the Americanisation of 'my' English, it is the meaning that counts, not the verbiage. I am sure that the God of my understanding can accept and translate a million thoughts sent His way in as many languages.

At times my 'Serenity Prayer' comprises the simple shout "Hey! I need help with this one!" I generally receive it from one quarter or another....sometimes in American !

jak
Forums Long Timer

Post by jak » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:58 am

I know a really short version of the Serenity prayer, but I think it is against the e-AA rules to post it.
jak

I thought I was confused...but now I'm not sure.

Jim 725

Post by Jim 725 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:02 am

jak, I've heard your version, and it's neither a prayer nor serene.
Jim S.

Blue Moon
Forums Old Timer

Re: Serenity Prayer

Post by Blue Moon » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:13 am

pat022305 wrote:I know I'm anally retentive, but it amazes me how few people in AA seem to know the difference.
Which difference?

The difference between usage of 4 vs 6 x "the"s?

Or the difference which requires that wisdom - between "things I cannot change" and "things I can"?

In the latter case, I'd have to agree that some people in AA seem to lack said wisdom :)
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon

jak
Forums Long Timer

Post by jak » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:31 am

Jim 725 wrote:jak, I've heard your version, and it's neither a prayer nor serene.
Jim S.
You are right Jim. But it is not “my” version.
I knew what was meant when I first heard this ‘Short Form’ joke.
A person gets beaten into a state of surrender and with frustration finally lets go of a fight.
Translated to milder terms he mutters. “Aw to heck with it!”
It is not serene and it is not a prayer, but it is, in this type of situation, an expression of surrender.
jak

I thought I was confused...but now I'm not sure.

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:56 am

Great Spirit, help me to be strong not so that I can triumph over my
brothers but to protect me from my greatest enemy, Myself.
Show him the mental twist which leads to the first drink of a spree. We suggest you do this as we have done it in the chapter on alcoholism.(Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)