Sobriety and the Dentist

Got an issue with someone or something? Want to whine a little? Here's the place to do it, or to get to know folks, or ask those questions that don't fit anywhere else.
Emily L.
Forums Newcomer

Sobriety and the Dentist

Post by Emily L. » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:56 pm

Hi, I have a question about sobriety and the dentist.

I am 11 years sober and am concerned about being sedated. In the past, when I was still drinking and taking drugs, I had terrible panic attacks while under the influence of psychoactive drugs like weed and mushrooms. I'm very sensitive to substances in general, and the anxiety I experienced under them has actually caused me to have dissociative episodes, which were hard to recover from.

This is the main reason why I have been avoiding the dentist for about a decade. Now I am at the point where I know I need treatment -- likely surgery. I've been doing exposure therapy in order to do this, and even met with a dentist today. He says that he sedates patients with Halcion.

My question is, is this sedative psychoactive? Can my anxiety "fight through" it and cause me to dissociate again? I'd welcome any insights that anyone can share, espeically if they're sober people who've gone through surgeries (or if they're dentists!) Thanks.

positrac
Forums Old Timer

Re: Sobriety and the Dentist

Post by positrac » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:33 am

I believe the most concern is if the doctor offers pain medication and how you deal with that?
I would also say that if you are in the rooms then you know pain is a motivator and you are going to have to face this situation eventually and in this case quality of life is and or could become questionable. To Thy Own Self Be True and fix this and get back to living without fear and worry.

I believe answers lie between our ears and just do it slogan is cool but we all have to ponder things and I get it and so do you. You have to have someone accompany you and so have the right person be with you and I believe it'll be ok.
Work hard, stay positive, and get up early. It's the best part of the day.
George Allen, Sr.

ebear
Forums Enthusiast

Post by ebear » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:00 am

Hi, Emily.

To me, your concerns seem best taken up with a medical professional (your GP?) who can speak to the clinical effects of medication and your dissociative episodes. He or she can help you choose the best anesthesia and pain meds for you. Bringing in your personal support circle ahead of time might also help you pass safely through any difficulties afterward.
If you don't change direction, you'll end up where you're headed.

MyNameIsBetsy
Forums Enthusiast

Post by MyNameIsBetsy » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:38 pm

My question is, is this sedative psychoactive? Can my anxiety "fight through" it and cause me to dissociate again?
I strongly suggest you speak with your own medical doctor. You are asking questions about potentially life altering circumstances. You owe it to yourself to get professional medical advice.
"Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path."

D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Post by D'oh » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:39 pm

Fear Knocked at the Door, Faith answered. No one was there.

Bring it up with your Dentist. Work out an answer, have Faith the answer will work out.