Listerine DUI

Got an issue with someone or something? Want to whine a little? Here's the place to do it, or to get to know folks, or ask those questions that don't fit anywhere else.
LauraWeare
Forums Enthusiast

Re: Listerine DUI

Post by LauraWeare » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:42 am

Thanks all.

The person in question has "conveniently" taken a long vacation to Florida, and we felt we could not have a group conscience without input from her. We did have a fairly emotional meeting about "honesty," after bringing all the members up to speed. Some spoke of not wanting to judge or railroad her, for fear of driving her away from AA. Others emphasized that for her OWN sake, she needs to face us and be honest.

According to the newspaper report, her BAC was .10-.16. (Not sure how that works, it doesn't seem precise).

The latest news is that some members have spoken to her by phone, and she will be turning the treasury over as soon as she returns to town.

Brock
Trusted Servant

Post by Brock » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:43 pm

Thanks for letting us know how things developed.

The groups feeling of not wanting to accuse and possibly drive her away, mixed with the need for her own good to be honest, fits in with what we here felt as well.

It’s good that she will turn over the treasury, I wish her the very best, and all the best to you and your home group as well.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."

ODAAT
Forums Enthusiast

Post by ODAAT » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:58 pm

LauraWeare wrote: According to the newspaper report, her BAC was .10-.16. (Not sure how that works, it doesn't seem precise).
As info only. Probably should have read .10 - <.16

This is from a state using a tiered system for legislating and adjudicating DUI law. The system goes like this:

.08% to less than .10% --DUI - General Impairment

.10% to less than .16% --DUI - High Rate of Alcohol

.16% and above -- Highest Rate of Alcohol

Each tier consists of a range of BAC, with different and increasing penalties, suspensions, fines, paroles, etc.

Craig_PDX
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Craig_PDX » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:38 pm

Listerine can be a problem for recovering alcoholics.

Especially drinking it! It's 26% alcohol. Non-alcoholics just swish it.

It's a documented thing -- there are lots of credible articles about this issue on the web.

ebear
Forums Enthusiast

Post by ebear » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:19 am

Wow. Tough call!

I believe we are indeed only as sick as our secrets, and what Brock says really resonates:
I would give her the benefit of the doubt, keeping in mind that alcoholics can’t live happily with a lie. I have known members to confess to an earlier slip, when the burden of the lie got too heavy.
If she has a sponsor or a close confidante, a heart-to-heart might be the best first course. Kicking her out of the position when she might truly be innocent of intentional drinking--heck, even subjecting her to a group's verdict on her trustworthiness--would probably be devastating to her sense of mutual trust and belonging.

I'd say it's better she be invited privately to step down if she has any doubts about her motives for swallowing the Listerine. Give her the chance to take personal accountability for what happened.

BTW: From what I just read at a few sites, at close to 27 percent alcohol some Listerine products (eg Original) are over 50 proof. Better to spit it onto the dashboard!
If you don't change direction, you'll end up where you're headed.