Cheapest Big Books?

Got an issue with someone or something? Want to whine a little? Here's the place to do it, or to get to know folks, or ask those questions that don't fit anywhere else.
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Cheapest Big Books?

Post by Brock » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:52 am

Does anyone know of a store selling big books, (new hardcover), for less than the GSO price of $9.50 each, and who might be able to supply 100 copies via online purchase.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."

PaigeB
Forums Old Timer

Re: Cheapest Big Books?

Post by PaigeB » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:57 am

Be careful here... Lots of places do remakes since a few editions are not copyright protected.

Also - I would want to give GSO the money - selling the Big Books is the biggest money maker. I would suggest whoever wants such a large quantity call them. 1st - They will likely give a deal to a literature committee or Group. 2nd - likely there would be zero shipping cost.

That's a lot of Big Books! Storing them would be a Service! If they are being used by a prison, perhaps the GSO Corrections Committee, Pink Can Fund, will chip in and help.
Step 6 is "AA's way of stating, the best possible attitude one can take in order to make a beginning on this lifetime job... with most of them we shall have to be content with patient improvement." 12&12 Step Six, p.65

JeffS.
Forums Enthusiast

Post by JeffS. » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:54 pm

PaigeB wrote:Be careful here... Lots of places do remakes since a few editions are not copyright protected.

Also - I would want to give GSO the money - selling the Big Books is the biggest money maker. I would suggest whoever wants such a large quantity call them. 1st - They will likely give a deal to a literature committee or Group. 2nd - likely there would be zero shipping cost.

That's a lot of Big Books! Storing them would be a Service! If they are being used by a prison, perhaps the GSO Corrections Committee, Pink Can Fund, will chip in and help.
Totally Agree

Blue Moon
Forums Old Timer

Post by Blue Moon » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:03 pm

AAWS offers a bulk discount. Area Literature Committees use it to help fund other service committees.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon

Chelle
Forums Contributor

Post by Chelle » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:12 pm

Can a group buy books from them independently, or must they go through a committee? Is it a matter of group conscious in your opinion?

PaigeB
Forums Old Timer

Post by PaigeB » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:47 am

Yes - I believe that groups can buy individually - I don't know why not.
Step 6 is "AA's way of stating, the best possible attitude one can take in order to make a beginning on this lifetime job... with most of them we shall have to be content with patient improvement." 12&12 Step Six, p.65

Brock
Forums Coordinator

Post by Brock » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:38 am

Thanks for the replies given here, I will be asking a few questions about bulk pricing and shipping cost.

My understanding about individual bulk purchase at a discount, is based on what has happened in my area. The GSO here in Trinidad imports all books at a discounted price, and sells to the inter groups, therefore the discount is offered to them only. But now they have not paid a certain bill, and aa.org will no longer supply to them, so our intergroup is looking to purchase directly. So I will ask aa.org what best can be done for us.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."

Blue Moon
Forums Old Timer

Post by Blue Moon » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:47 pm

Chelle wrote:Can a group buy books from them independently, or must they go through a committee? Is it a matter of group conscious in your opinion?
For a group, it's entirely up to the group.

I simply advocate for an informed conscience. Eg knowing what happens to any discount, or whether we may be acting contrary to any AA Tradition (despite having the best of intentions).
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon

PaigeB
Forums Old Timer

Post by PaigeB » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:19 am

GSO's biggest revenue source is the sale of Big Books. Buying there would be, in part, a 7th Tradition effort.

Chelle
Forums Contributor

Post by Chelle » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:39 pm

Thanks all.
We had a group conscience at our buainess meeting and did indeed order from GSO. My main concern was under cutting our intergroup on the profit. We ended up paying $8.93 per book with free shipping over $500.00.

Brock
Forums Coordinator

Post by Brock » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:30 pm

It’s actually our intergroup who are buying the books, and we will resell without making a profit. The $8.93 which Chelle’s group paid applies to quantities between 20 & 99, if you buy 100 to 199 it goes down to 8.36, then further down for 200+, (the cost between 1 & 19 copies is the base price of 9.50). All AA literature from GSO has similar quantity discounts, and the discounts and order form are at AA.org.

I contacted them for the weight and package size since we have to ship overseas, they were very efficient and polite as expected, I am glad I asked this question here, based on price and discount GSO appears to be the best, and the profit goes back to AA.

PaigeB
Forums Old Timer

Post by PaigeB » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:00 am

Chelle wrote:Thanks all.
We had a group conscience at our buainess meeting and did indeed order from GSO. My main concern was under cutting our intergroup on the profit. We ended up paying $8.93 per book with free shipping over $500.00.
Most people will pay an even dollar amount here... we go for 9.50, which sometimes turns into $10. We sell them for what is offered or we give them away if there is need. Last night the speaker bought a 12 & 12 and gave it away after her talk. We also had a gal ask how much $ for a 12 & 12 and turns out she was asking for a later time as she had no funds. Further discussion bought her a 12 & 12 by a home group member and since the Group is out of BB's... ( :( shipment should arrive this week), a gal actually HAD a spare Big Book in her book bag and jokingly "gifted" that to the newcomer: "Bring it back next week and here is my number!" That young gal who then also got together with the sorta "foster mom" of the Young People in AA groups locally and planned to go to that meeting together later this week.

So the profits of carrying literature can far exceed the .50 - $1.00 that the group "might" get on a book sale. :D :arrow:

Chelle
Forums Contributor

Post by Chelle » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:19 pm

Brock wrote: I am glad I asked this question here, based on price and discount GSO appears to be the best, and the profit goes back to AA.
Thanks Brock. Im glad you brought it up too. Our group never shakes out even on our big books, so with the reduced price, we stand a fighting chance if someone needs one and can not pay. Carrying cash doesn't happen much around here, so lots of name less IOUs :lol: