Boy is it scary to take sobriety on the road!

Got an issue with someone or something? Want to whine a little? Here's the place to do it, or to get to know folks, or ask those questions that don't fit anywhere else.
Merl08
Forums Enthusiast

Boy is it scary to take sobriety on the road!

Post by Merl08 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:59 pm

Hi Everyone. Just thought I’d share this. We we’re going out of town part pleasure, part business that my husband has in different cities. We do this every year for four weeks. YIKES!! Out of my element, away from my home group. It gives cause for anxiety. I packed my travel electric teakettle, instant coffee, powdered creamer, Splenda, favorite teas, thermal tumblers, one for tea, one for coffee. That filled one backpack! When driving I had a bottle of water, bottle of Coca-Cola, a tumbler of tea and a tumbler of coffee all beside me at the ready. Simply Caramel Milky Ways in my lunch bag. Big book and Bible near me and my sponsors # on speed dial. I went to AA meetings in cities we stayed in. And had the strength to take a “welcome bottle of wine” that was placed in a condo we checked into, straight to the hotel front desk manager and politely said “Thank you, however I cannot have this in our room.” I was given in its place a 12 pack of bottled water! I was soooo happy. Happy to receive water!! I thought to myself of days when I wouldn’t even put ice in my whiskey because I didn’t want it diluted with water. I breathed a sigh of gratefulness, thanked God for my sobriety and realized that no matter where I am I can do this. I must remain vigilant and as the saying goes “True to myself”. I may still get a little anxious about taking my sobriety on the road but I know I have the tools to keep me sober and I also have you all going along with me. Thank you for your support. Even just knowing that you’re there is a wonderful blessing and I am extremely grateful. God bless you all. Hope my share helps someone else and eases their travel woes. :D

ODAAT
Forums Enthusiast

Re: Boy is it scary to take sobriety on the road!

Post by ODAAT » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:26 pm

You have it COVERED, Merl08!
Have a great trip. Post updates here if you can...

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:47 pm

Ohhh the travel woes! One time we were just into New Orleans and went for clams. Happy Hour even... and clams come with free beers. No we want sodas thank you - but the beers are free and taste good with the clams the waiter insisted. No thanks - give us the sodas free? The waiter seems to have NEVER heard of such a thing and insisted a few more times until I thought my husband (big guy) might actually stand up and leave. When the waiter brought us the clams he had two beers on the tray and asked if we didn't want them could he give them to another table. Yes - Please. WTH right? Damn fool came back and asked if we wanted another Special... Sheesh. No tip Skip.

Normal people don't think the same way about alcohol that we alkies do. Like our waiter, there was probably a time when I could not fathom anyone turning down a drink at Happy Hour. Maybe your condo host is in recovery or just a really really good host!

This is an illustration to me of why we have to Fully. Concede. To our Inner-Most. Selves. that we are alcoholic. see (BB pg 30) Many many people will doubt our sincerity over the years - We had better be SURE. Super Duper on-the-Inside SURE.
Step 6 is "AA's way of stating, the best possible attitude one can take in order to make a beginning on this lifetime job... with most of them we shall have to be content with patient improvement." 12&12 Step Six, p.65

Merl08
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Merl08 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:35 pm

You’re right PaigeB. We went to an event where we were given tickets to turn after the presentation for free “drinks”. Coffee, tea, water or soda were not “drinks” offered. Strictly alcoholic drinks. I told my husband that we’ll throw the tickets out when we got back to the condo. He said “Or we can give them to someone else.” While his generosity is plentiful I explained to him that I don’t want to be responsible for someone else possibly having too much, also I would be passing on the disease instead of nipping it in the bud by throwing them out away from the event. He understand and said that was a good idea. You’re absolutely right. You have to stay vigilant about it and also about not spreading it.

Merl08
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Merl08 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:42 pm

ODAAT wrote:You have it COVERED, Merl08!
Have a great trip. Post updates here if you can...
Thanks ODAAT. I followed the steps, did my readings, went to meetings and stayed in touch with my sponsor. There were some challenges but I stayed true to myself and the program. Grateful to you all.

JeffS.
Forums Enthusiast

Post by JeffS. » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:59 am

It is so great to know whenever you travel there will always be an AA meeting to attend(or one very close by). I always enjoy when people from out of town come to a meeting. They bring so much great information and talk about different things they do in there home groups which are great ideas.