Bored with meetings

Got an issue with someone or something? Want to whine a little? Here's the place to do it, or to get to know folks, or ask those questions that don't fit anywhere else.
Soberguy27
Forums Enthusiast

Bored with meetings

Post by Soberguy27 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:57 pm

Ok, now I have been sober almost three decades. I am truly grateful for every thing that aa has given me. I am also atheist which really has nothing to do with how I am feeling but I thought I would mention it. Anyway, lately I have just been really bored with meetings. I used to love going to meeting and love the people in them but it seems like it is the same old thing meeting after meeting. You here the same stuff over and over again. I have tried going to different meetings outside my area and even meetings that usually didn't go to in my area. Now I usually go to regular aa meetings and not secular meetings as there is only one near me. I was wondering if anyone else has ever felt this way and decided to take a break from meetings? Now I still sponsor a few guys so I do see them a few times a month and I do sometimes force myself to go to meetings even when I don't want to go. I am retired and now am trying to enjoy my life which means spending more time with my wife, family and friends( many who are sober).
So what can I do to make meetings interesting again and do you think taking a break is a bad thing to do? Now I am not talking about taking a break for years just a month or two. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Spirit Flower
Forums Old Timer

Re: Bored with meetings

Post by Spirit Flower » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:00 pm

Gratitude
...a score card reading zero...

avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Post by avaneesh912 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:20 am

Maybe you can start a group or take a meetings into a correction facility. Your experience can help lot of people who are in similar state when it comes to HP. Many serving terms, for them God is something the last thing that comes to their mind, maybe they have more resentment toward God concept. Instead of being critical of meetings, you can create a fellowship you crave. Take the book and read the vision for you chapter. Enthusiasm is a big factor that keeps people going. If you are not enthused complacency creeps in and thats not good for an alcoholic.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

PaigeB
Forums Old Timer

Post by PaigeB » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:20 am

Bored? DO something!

(**anything)
Step 6 is "AA's way of stating, the best possible attitude one can take in order to make a beginning on this lifetime job... with most of them we shall have to be content with patient improvement." 12&12 Step Six, p.65

Soberguy27
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Soberguy27 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:12 am

Thanks avaneesh for the suggestion. I had not thought of that. I guess from time to time things can get too good and we can forget what got us here. I will step up my meetings and try to see them with fresh eyes and open ears.

tomsteve
Forums Contributor

Post by tomsteve » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:05 pm

Soberguy27 wrote:I am retired and now am trying to enjoy my life which means spending more time with my wife, family and friends( many who are sober).
So what can I do to make meetings interesting again and do you think taking a break is a bad thing to do? Now I am not talking about taking a break for years just a month or two. Your thoughts are appreciated.
we are supposed to be enjoying life with family and friends.

None of us makes a sole vocation of this work, nor do we think its effectiveness would be increased if we did. We feel that elimination of our drinking is but a beginning. A much more important demonstration of our principles lies before us in our respective homes, occupations and affairs. All of us spend much of our spare time in the sort of effort which we are going to describe. A few are fortunate enough to be so situated that they can give nearly all their time to the work.

i have been to 3 meetings in the last year. some would crucify me for that. however, being of maximum service to the people around me doesnt occur (nor should it) only in meetings and within the fellowship.

Blue Moon
Forums Old Timer

Post by Blue Moon » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:05 pm

Have you tried doing service outside the meeting? Eg GSR, DCM, Area Committees, Intergroup. In my Area, committees are waiting for bored AAs to turn up.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon

Greywolf
Forums Contributor

Post by Greywolf » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:18 am

I'm responsible for the quality of the meetings I go to. If I sit there and let them be boring, shame on me.
I don't care how much you know until I know how much you care.

positrac
Forums Old Timer

Post by positrac » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:56 am

I will pose this question to you: If you are bored with meetings then what is the message being sent to you? I can't answer this and it is in your court. My sobriety date is 1 Nov 1989 and so I have some experience in this area and I have my opinions on this thread that I will gladly express in private.
Work hard, stay positive, and get up early. It's the best part of the day.
George Allen, Sr.