Because we are sober have we forgot what is outside?

Got an issue with someone or something? Want to whine a little? Here's the place to do it, or to get to know folks, or ask those questions that don't fit anywhere else.
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Because we are sober have we forgot what is outside?

Post by positrac » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:07 am

Last Saturday morning around 0630 I took my wife's car to get gas and get her ready for her long day. As I am pumping the gas at this gas station/liquor store a truck is idling vacant and in the town I live in that was the old way of operating as no one stole back 20 plus years ago. So this older man comes out and gets in the truck and I noticed he didn't take off right away and I see him pulling back it think vodka or gin in one of those pint size bottle and he is chasing it with a 22 oz beer. He gets out and puts the pint in his tool box. Puts his seat belt on and drives off.

In our world today we have a lot of people driving under the influence and I have witnessed many horrific accidents on the interstates that prove my point. But this old man took me back to my days overseas in the Philippines when I'd hit a sari-sari store and get an ice cold beer for 25 cents on my way to work because I needed a kick start to function with my cigarettes. What can you say to someone deep into addiction who is not ready to give it up? I suspect that man has been to AA many times and just couldn't deal with the ideas of sobriety.
Work hard, stay positive, and get up early. It's the best part of the day.
George Allen, Sr.

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Re: Because we are sober have re forgot what is outside?

Post by avaneesh912 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:01 am

Unfortunately we are going to see a few in every town. Whenever I see beer cans by the roadside curbs it reminds me that there is a problem drinker around where I live. That last can before we go to bed. I am using the term problem drinker because we never know until they stop how squirrelly they get, they could be just a habitual drinker. Time will come for each one of them and they will if luck as it, they will meet one of us and get well. Chances are they are gone before they have that first awakening.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

Greywolf
Forums Contributor

Re: Because we are sober have we forgot what is outside?

Post by Greywolf » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:38 am

(Sarcasm alert) I don't know about this old man having tried AA many times seems like he's got it all under control -- all except leaving his truck running. Probably didn't leave the truck running with his pint in the tool box. Too big a risk. Sat there while taking a pull off the pint. No drinking while driving for him. The 22 oz beer doesn't count as drinking, right. Put his seat belt on. Sounds like a responsible driver to me.

How different is this guy from the business man who has a couple or three at his club before driving home? Or the housewife who splits a bottle of wine with her friend and then drives home? Nobody is drunk and all are driving impaired.
I don't care how much you know until I know how much you care.

Brock
Trusted Servant

Post by Brock » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:01 am

How different is this guy from the business man who has a couple or three at his club before driving home? Or the housewife who splits a bottle of wine with her friend and then drives home? Nobody is drunk and all are driving impaired.
Maybe all are driving impaired, but there is to my mind a very big difference, between a few after work at the club, or housewives with their wine, and a fellow sitting alone in the cab of a truck at 6.30 in the morning. If we had to guess which one is most likely an alcoholic, the answer would be easy.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."

positrac
Forums Old Timer

Post by positrac » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:04 am

Greywolf wrote:(Sarcasm alert) I don't know about this old man having tried AA many times seems like he's got it all under control -- all except leaving his truck running. Probably didn't leave the truck running with his pint in the tool box. Too big a risk. Sat there while taking a pull off the pint. No drinking while driving for him. The 22 oz beer doesn't count as drinking, right. Put his seat belt on. Sounds like a responsible driver to me.

He is not any different than any of us. What I saw is a man who has gotten dui's and was cautious because of his past and yet has a drinking problem. I don't look for those people anymore and when I see them it is a reminder of my life and what is necessary to keep this precious gift.

I don't how many truck stops and travel centers around this country I've seen the hustlers, drug addicts, drunks and lot lizards hoping to score a deal with anyone and it was not comfortable because I wanted to clap my hands and they all would be sober and living different.

I've offered up over the years if they had a desire to stop drinking and normally it is not today or I am busy or something really original! meh can't save them all is what I see. They come in the rooms I am willing to reach the hand out of AA and if they accept then a chance is available.
George Allen, Sr.

Greywolf
Forums Contributor

Post by Greywolf » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:50 am

This old man who had one drink and stowed his bottle away and had a beer to finish may have also been driving home from work.

We judge him to be an alcoholic because he's driving a pick up truck and has obviously a working man, but not the business man who can't make it home without stopping for a few before he goes home. What about the housewife who can't make it through the day without a half bottle of wine in her belly?

My point was they are all impaired while driving. Will someone be any less dead because the impaired person was a businessman or a house wife?

My last point is who said the old man had a problem much less that he was an alcoholic? Are we judging alcoholics now based on their choice of beverage or the car they drive or the venue where they drink?
I don't care how much you know until I know how much you care.

Brock
Trusted Servant

Post by Brock » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:50 am

Are we judging alcoholics now based on their choice of beverage or the car they drive or the venue where they drink?
Nobody is judging, the first post said ‘suspect,’ another post said ‘if we had to guess,’ now you wish to portray others here as judgmental people, who rank others based on perceived income, and mode of transport. The fact of the matter is, alcoholism is more easily associated with early morning drinking, than it is with a few after work drinks, or with housewives sharing some wine.

You have already had one post removed from this thread, for accusing others of criticism, because they had a different view than yours. Please just keep things simple and let it be, instead of always searching for some little point to pick at.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:00 pm

I don't see it as criticism... I never even got that feeling.

As a woman, the breadwinner who almost never drank wine, I saw myself. The morning shakes would impair me for sure. I would have to have that hard draw off the vodka and replace that bottle to hiding, then chase it with my usual beer while driving... I always had a six pack on ice. But heaven forbid that I get caught with "hard liquor" in or around me - especially while driving! I guess I felt I could rationalize a beer... I mean come on... it's just a beer! I deserve that, right? Or maybe I can tell the cops it was still in there from last night, like the booze they will find on my breath and in my veins... just last night's dalliances. Now all leveled off, I was good to get the kiddos to the dentist.

Rationalization and justification... just my way back in the day.
Step 6 is "AA's way of stating, the best possible attitude one can take in order to make a beginning on this lifetime job... with most of them we shall have to be content with patient improvement." 12&12 Step Six, p.65

Chelle
Forums Contributor

Post by Chelle » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:36 pm

Brock wrote:
The fact of the matter is, alcoholism is more easily associated with early morning drinking, than it is with a few after work drinks, or with housewives sharing some wine.

Maybe he works 3rd shift =surprised

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:24 pm

I like the way you think!
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

positrac
Forums Old Timer

Post by positrac » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:28 am

Chelle wrote:
Brock wrote:
The fact of the matter is, alcoholism is more easily associated with early morning drinking, than it is with a few after work drinks, or with housewives sharing some wine.

Does it matter what shift he worked? This old fella is long retired and needed a nip to keep him in his pants he shook so much. That could be me and thankfully it is not and if we are all this lucky today then we've succeeded.
George Allen, Sr.

D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Post by D'oh » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:20 am

But for the Grace of a HP.

In my depths, I couldn't handle a 4 hour drive for the wife's Dr. appointment without a drink. I couldn't have a drink while driving in front of her, so I would have to have a micky before I left. Buy a bottle on the way so I had some when I got home.

Theo50
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Theo50 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:47 pm

I don't think I will ever have any trouble remembering as I am in the company of some heavy drinkers on a regular basis. It is such a different view from my sober mind as it was from before.