Stinking thinking about drinking

Got an issue with someone or something? Want to whine a little? Here's the place to do it, or to get to know folks, or ask those questions that don't fit anywhere else.
Noels

Stinking thinking about drinking

Post by Noels » Wed May 18, 2016 10:37 am

Hi guys, since completing step 5 about a month ago I'm now comfortable that I have done and understand steps 6 and 7 so I need to move on to 8. I find however, that the craving for alcohol have been removed but now there are occasional thoughts of drinking coming through. Each time Ive had a thought of this nature ive simply prayed and asked my Creator and Guardian to block and remove these thoughts and I found peace again. Every time its just a thought which we here call " stinking thinking ". No craving but I don't want to take chances .
I'm rather checking with you as I don't have a sponsor. Remember, ive chosen you guys as my sponsor. Is this normal at almost 9 months alcohol-free? I was thinking perhaps it is an indication to me to move forward with step 8 and 9?
Looking forward to hearing from you,
much appreciated
Love and Light
Noels xxx

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Re: Stinking thinking about drinking

Post by avaneesh912 » Wed May 18, 2016 11:06 am

This should not deter you from proceeding with the rest of the process. My question is are you obsession or its just a fleeting thought? A fleeting thought is fine. We as an alcoholic mind can't control it. The problem arises if those thoughts gets obsessive. Thats where the issue starts. You may not be even posting this question. You know what I mean? Noel, you are doing fine. Remember our goal is to stay spiritually fit.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

Noels

Post by Noels » Wed May 18, 2016 11:26 am

:D thanks Avaneesh :D I have just learned something again. ( :lol: hit my forehead with an icecream cone :lol: ) I have heard and spoken the words " as long as we remain spiritually fit " or " we strive for spiritual progress rather than spiritual perfection " so many times yet the actual meaning of it only entered my mind now that I read it in your post. Thank you very much for that. My mind unconsciously have been telling me " I have stopped drinking " but that is not the way to look at it. We actually don't need to think about drinking at all. All we need to do now is to concentrate on a healthy connection with our Creator. (again I remind myself that I need to incorporate DAILY meditation into my schedule as this is something I haven't done.) Ive been restoring everything else around and within but haven't been " furthering " my connection with my Creator.
Thanks my friend :D have an awesome evening and thank each and every one here for the belief and trust. You have and still help me more than you will ever know.
mwah xxx
love and light
Noels

Spirit Flower
Forums Old Timer

Post by Spirit Flower » Wed May 18, 2016 12:45 pm

Definitely move forward, regardless of stinking thinking.

But, don't get overly preoccupied with thoughts of drinking. Change the channel, use a different synapse.
...a score card reading zero...

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Wed May 18, 2016 9:27 pm

I have had fleeting thoughts - that come repeatedly... My solution? To LIVE in the solution. I cannot think my way into new thinking, I have to DO something positive... Make it a point to be unselfish... do the dishes, pick up trash on your walk, smile and speak lovingly to the clerk or bank teller. I have to pray for the opportunity to be of service. I still get hinky and a bit unsettled when I think about the amount of time I have. Sometimes I think I should be "further along than I am" and I am in sort of that space these days... getting on myself about still having defects! :lol:

Also, I had a bit of a stall as I got through Steps 6 & 7! YES! Really... I just could not bring myself to get pen to paper on Step 8 and I made all the excuses and scheduled things and blah blah blah - then I wondered why I felt so icky all of a sudden! It could be a let down from the pink clouds of Step 5, but it also had to do with Steps 6 & 7. I had heard, "If you are having a problem with a Step, take a look back at the previous Step and make sure your work is done there." So I had to look back at Step 7 and I found that I did not know what humility meant in the sense of how to act with humility in the face of my defects, and to have faith in the face of my defects. (I still go through it at times!).

Quick story: I went to a meeting I really did not want to go to. I wanted to make sure that I knew where AA was in my mother's city 3 hours from my home. It is inevitable that I will be there as she is getting on in years. Anyway, there was no coffee, no greeter, a tiny room filled over capacity and they just kept jamming them in! They did the meeting A LOT different than the meetings I am used to and I think I held my breath a lot and had to continually try to focus. The hour was just about to be over and suddenly a gal behind me spoke in a confident voice. She said, "Humility & Gratitude are sisters. If you cannot find one, practice the other and you will have both." BAM! Literally driven into the back of my thick skull where it will forever live! SO I went out and practiced a lot of gratitude and I began to understand what it meant to truly be humble, to feel humble. It was new for me!

I was able to put pen to paper on Step 8 and move onto and through my amends with her confident voice in my head.

Pray for an intuitive thought. You will be blessed. :wink:
Step 6 is "AA's way of stating, the best possible attitude one can take in order to make a beginning on this lifetime job... with most of them we shall have to be content with patient improvement." 12&12 Step Six, p.65

Noels

Post by Noels » Thu May 19, 2016 12:34 am

Good morning everyone :D thank you for the responses :D as you've perhaps seen from another post of mine on another thread I've got this craziness in that I look at words and make it my own connection. If I look at the word humility I see this - humil-i-t-y standing out to me as humil -i-test -you. Strangely it appears that all the words so far covering or describing defects works in reverse in that it appears to describe something involving another person but in reality applies to me. If that makes sense to you. So the conclusion I'm starting to form is that whenever a word as I see it points to another it is something I must look at within myself.
Even the word gratitude. I see it as gratit-u-d-e. gratit-u-do-everything.
The word remembering. I see as remember-i-n-good = remember -i-need -God.
Anyways I'm getting off topic. So sorry.
Thanks for all the input and good advice. It helped me already.
Have a beautiful day and chat again soon.
Mwah xxx
Noels