Scary, but with what I've learned .....

Got an issue with someone or something? Want to whine a little? Here's the place to do it, or to get to know folks, or ask those questions that don't fit anywhere else.
Merl
Forums Enthusiast

Scary, but with what I've learned .....

Post by Merl » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:50 am

Hi Everyone,

Sorry I've been AWOL. But I think you'll all be glad to know there was a good reason. On March 22nd I had a little sinus pressure and blurry vision. Later that evening I had flashing arching images in my right eye. More sinus pressure, so I thought. Woke the next morning and had no vision in my right eye. I immediately went to an eye surgeon. It turned out that I had a posterior vitreous detachment that had torn my retina. I sat there and heard the word blind hit me. For a moment I felt nothing. Then I thought "think, you can handle this." I quickly started going through my gratitude list ( which thanks to AA I call on frequently). I thought I have my God of my understanding, I prayed, I have my sobriety, I have my freedom from the bondage of alcohol, I have my spouse right here, unconditional love, I have my AA fellowship, they're always there for me ... The list went on and on as I waited for the surgeon. I was saying the Serenity Prayer and had just finished when he walked in. I was at complete peace and very calm considering what I had just heard. He repeated the diagnosis and said, " We'll have you seeing again in no time." With one drop of a fluid in my right eye to numb my eye and using laser surgery he was able to repair the damage. I noted that he said "We'll have you seeing " and thought on that. Why not "I will". I asked his assistant later and she said, "he has a belief". Of all of the eye surgeons, the God of my understanding blessed me with one of belief. How utterly amazing. As to my being AWOL, it will be about four more months before my vision is back to where I can read easily and I will need new glasses. So I'm still here. Still sober and still very grateful. God bless you all.

Merl

Reborn
Forums Long Timer

Re: Scary, but with what I've learned .....

Post by Reborn » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:54 am

Great share Merl...Everything in God's world happens for a reason!
We have recovered, and have been given the power to help others. BB pg 132

Merl
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Merl » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:05 am

Amen to that my friend, AMEN!!

Chelle
Forums Contributor

Post by Chelle » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:08 am

Thanks merl. Isn't it incredible the things we can handle today without having to take a drink? Nice to hear you are okay, and that you immediately took action applying the principles. :D

positrac
Forums Old Timer

Post by positrac » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:56 am

Glad things are finally getting back to normal.
Work hard, stay positive, and get up early. It's the best part of the day.
George Allen, Sr.

Noels

Post by Noels » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:36 pm

Shame Merl, ive read some of your posts and did find it strange that you disappeared as you were back home and seemed really happy to be home. That must have been awful. Just glad everything is okay and wishing you a speedy and smooth recovery.
Pop in whenever you can.
Mwah xxx
Noels

DennisD
Forums Enthusiast

Post by DennisD » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:36 am

Hi Merl! It sounds like you handled this very well and the outcome was very good. I appreciate the share and it's very uplifting :)
I'm on my way, I'm on my way to better days, I'll find my way - Breaking Benjamin, Better Days