SEEING IT FROM THE OTHER SIDE

Got an issue with someone or something? Want to whine a little? Here's the place to do it, or to get to know folks, or ask those questions that don't fit anywhere else.
Noels

SEEING IT FROM THE OTHER SIDE

Post by Noels » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:31 am

Good afternoon everyone, I'm Noels and I am an alcoholic. I am however, not only an alcoholic - I am so much more and not in the negative sense.
I write this post as I thought that if I am feeling this way there could possibly be others who have been feeling this way. We are after all connected and in many ways mirrors of each other.
I came into AA slightly different to the usual person we meet at meetings. See, by the time I entered the doors of AA I already had a spiritual awakening, had spiritual experiences throughout my entire life and have been practising and living the 12 step program for many years without even knowing it was the program as directed by AA. So I had no problem or difficulty embracing the concept of a God of my understanding as I have known and have had a close and personal relationship with the God of my understanding since the day I was born. Through good times as well as the not so good times. Through drinking and not drinking.
The reason why I am sharing this with you is because I have read many posts and heard many people ask or say that they do not yet believe in a God and find it very hard to attend meetings where mention is made of and members are speaking about a God in their shared experiences of strength and hope and wasn't sure whether they wished to attend such meetings or would be welcomed or fit in at those meetings.
I am here to tell you today that it has been just as difficult for me to attend meetings where barely any mention is made of God as my soul continuously search for and crave to recognise that Light in the share I am hearing at that particular moment. See, once you have experienced this warm embracing and all encompassing Love and Light that feeling can never be undone. It becomes a part of you - entirely you. The same as with knowledge - once you have learned something, properly understand and learned what you were supposed to learn - that learning and knowledge gained can never be unlearned or unknown.
So I have been forcing myself to try and live and experience as a normal human being on the basic needs and fears of security, desires and personal power and it is not working for me. It is impossible for me to go back to re-learn something I have already thoroughly learned, experienced, accepted and embraced. That will be relapse but not of drinking but of spirit.
I do wish to advise you though that although difficult for me at times to connect with one who have not yet had the experiences which give me strength and hope I have no ill feelings, thoughts or bad intent toward such person. My view is large and open so I never wish for you to harm yourself any further by withholding yourself from meetings on my behalf.
Try to accept me as I am as I already accept you as you are.

Love and Light
Noels xxx

PaigeB
Forums Old Timer

Re: SEEING IT FROM THE OTHER SIDE

Post by PaigeB » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:08 am

once you have experienced this warm embracing and all encompassing Love and Light that feeling can never be undone
xoxo
In Love & Light,
Paige
Step 6 is "AA's way of stating, the best possible attitude one can take in order to make a beginning on this lifetime job... with most of them we shall have to be content with patient improvement." 12&12 Step Six, p.65

ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Post by ezdzit247 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:22 pm

Noels wrote:....I am here to tell you today that it has been just as difficult for me to attend meetings where barely any mention is made of God as my soul continuously search for and crave to recognise that Light in the share I am hearing at that particular moment.....
Have you ever read this poem?

Abou Ben Adhem

By Leigh Hunt 1784–1859

Abou Ben Adhem (may his tribe increase!)
Awoke one night from a deep dream of peace,
And saw, within the moonlight in his room,
Making it rich, and like a lily in bloom,
An angel writing in a book of gold:—
Exceeding peace had made Ben Adhem bold,
And to the presence in the room he said,
"What writest thou?"—The vision raised its head,
And with a look made of all sweet accord,
Answered, "The names of those who love the Lord."
"And is mine one?" said Abou. "Nay, not so,"
Replied the angel. Abou spoke more low,
But cheerly still; and said, "I pray thee, then,
Write me as one that loves his fellow men."

The angel wrote, and vanished. The next night
It came again with a great wakening light,
And showed the names whom love of God had blest,
And lo! Ben Adhem's name led all the rest.

Whenever I see or hear one alcoholic sharing their ESH with love, compassion, and humility to reach out to help another struggling alcoholic, I see and hear that alcoholic doing God's will--loving his fellow men. According to the Master, that's what's important to God.
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Post by D'oh » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:34 pm

Hey Noels.

I have to admit, I was thinking of your shares on my drive back from the meeting tonight. And yes in a very good way. How you always seem so Full of Life, and grateful for it.

I have been Sober with and without a belief of God. I have been wet with and without a belief of God. The one thing I have to be aware of either way is My Will, that is what gets me in trouble with Life. God has always been there for me, when I think I can do this thing is when I clash in the world.

Thy will not mine be done.

clouds
Forums Long Timer

Post by clouds » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:48 pm

Its great to have you here Noel's.

Many AA's have gotten sobriety through their willingness to believe in a power greater than themselves. They do the 12 steps with their own concepts of the spiritual terms in the book of AA. This is becoming more and more comman and its really a miracle that so many people can now see a way to become sober through the AA steps.

I'm grateful for your faith and the steadiness that you share.

My hope is that atheists and others who don't believe God has done for them what they couldn't have done for themselves where alcohol is concerned will not dissuade you from attending meetings and sharing your own story and message of hope.
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.

Noels

Post by Noels » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:18 am

Good evening ladies and thank you very very much for your responses. Clouds so nice to hear from you. :D I must be honest - I didn't quite have an answer until the day I posted the original post on this thread. As soon as I finished typing it an pressed the " submit " button my heart and spirit lifted and I knew I had arrived. :)
Amazingly I opened Big Book (just sommer) and it opened on page 68 (4th Edition) where I must have marked this particular paragraph a few months ago when we started Big Book teachings and I'll quote :

" We never apologize to anyone for depending upon our Creator. We can laugh at those who think spirituality the way of weakness. Paradoxically, it is the way of strength. The verdict of the ages is that faith means courage. All men of faith have courage. They trust their God. We never apologize for God. Instead we let Him demonstrate, through us, what He can do. We ask Him to remove our fear and direct our attention to what He would have us to be. At once, we commence to outgrow fear".

These are the words of our founders written in black on white.

I no longer need to feel that I am " wrong " in sharing my life experiences. I no longer need to wonder whether I fit in or whether I don't.

I now know that I belong and that I am.

Love and Light
Noels xxx