The Big Book-Sponsors

Got an issue with someone or something? Want to whine a little? Here's the place to do it, or to get to know folks, or ask those questions that don't fit anywhere else.
Justhetruthman
Forums Newcomer

The Big Book-Sponsors

Post by Justhetruthman » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:29 am

What does "The Big Book" say about sponsors?

Justhetruthman
Forums Newcomer

Re: The Big Book-Sponsors

Post by Justhetruthman » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:46 am

I could find no reference to "Sponsor" in pages 89 to 107. Where is the term Sponsor directly referenced in The Big Book?

Brock
Trusted Servant

Post by Brock » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:34 am

Hello Justhetruthman, welcome to e-AA. No the Big Book does not mention the word sponsor, but under the section 'working with others,' you will see the principle of one alcoholic working one on one with another is very prominent. Some years later when the word sponsor was something used in AA circles, the 12 & 12 was written, and the word is mentioned a good few times in that book.

Usually people bring this matter up to make an argument that we don't need sponsors, we have had a lot of that here. I myself have never had a sponsor, and there are a couple of other members here who did the same. But any reasonable person would say that a good sponsor can make this program easier to understand and do, and yes there have been reports here also of some sponsor conduct that myself and others have said was absolutely wrong and controlling.

It seems anywhere you look, there are some humans who take a good thing and mess it up because their ego is not under control, but all in all the folks on this site are very supportive of sponsorship, if you have any other questions please fell free to ask, best of luck.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."

Spirit Flower
Forums Old Timer

Post by Spirit Flower » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:04 am

Justhetruthman wrote:What does "The Big Book" say about sponsors?
There is a whole section on sponsorship in this forum.
...a score card reading zero...

Layne
Forums Old Timer

Post by Layne » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:54 am

Justhetruthman wrote:I could find no reference to "Sponsor" in pages 89 to 107. Where is the term Sponsor directly referenced in The Big Book?
By "The Big Book", did you mean the text Alcoholics Anonymous? Where is the term The Big Book directly referenced in Alcoholics Anonymous?