Getting back a lost career

Got an issue with someone or something? Want to whine a little? Here's the place to do it, or to get to know folks, or ask those questions that don't fit anywhere else.
homelesswalt
Forums Newcomer

Re: Getting back a lost career

Post by homelesswalt » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:00 pm

ezdzit247 wrote:
homelesswalt wrote:
I've also written a book, and hope to publish it with myself back where I started career wise. And this time, I have a "fire" that's pushing me to work harder, and smarter than I did pre-alcohol. Also, I didn't know that AA discouraged advice that's not considered "sobriety maintenance." I do know that according to AA, I'm supposed to say "I'm powerless over alcohol," and know that had I actually felt or been powerless over alcohol, I would have never given it up, choosing life instead. Additionally, if it's true that AA discourages the kind of advice from other members who are asking for help getting back what was lost, I'm a little perplexed by that. Moreover, I would almost wonder if the person could ultimately develop a screw it attitude, and go back to their old comfort zone - slow death via alcohol. Bill W was a stock broker just like I was. I would hope if he were here today, he'd have something more to say than "we discourage discussions that aren't directly related to maintaining sobriety."
Hi Walt and congratulations on 2 years of sobriety!

The best career advice I ever received was from my father who told me to choose work that I loved to do because if I did that it would always be fun for me and not work. The second best advice I got was from reading a book written by Aldous Huxley in which he posited that no one should work any longer than five years in any one occupation before they took a break and did something different. Those two bits of wisdom have served me well, especially in sobriety. When I finally got sober at age 29, I really didn't know what I wanted to do career wise but staying sober and working the program gave me the quality time I needed to finally get to know myself, review my options and choose something I loved, something I never had the courage to do before because I'd always let financial necessity determine my choices. I chose sales & marketing and dove into the deep end not knowing whether I would sink or swim. Turned out all the skills I needed to be successful were already hard wired into my DNA and it was just a matter of exposing myself to challenges in this field to bring them out of me. If the career you've chosen for yourself stirs your passion, challenges your intellect and you love it.....go for it!

Keep coming back.....
Thanks!

I liked the job, but not sure if I loved it. Was a constant struggle meeting production requirements, plus me drinking then. Is food for thought! Is funny. Since becoming homeless, then working my way out of it (barely,) I bounced around a little since becoming sober. Usually lived in one place for years, decades, etc., but since becoming sober, Florida, Austin TX, Los Angeles, and Charleston WV. Maybe I need to slow down to a move every five years with new job lol!
Last edited by homelesswalt on Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

homelesswalt
Forums Newcomer

Re: Getting back a lost career

Post by homelesswalt » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:08 pm

kdub720 wrote:Walt. I loved the post. I have never lost a job, but I am a snowboarder. I like your story about making calls. I dealt with the same thing on the snowboard. 2 drinks to make you loose and open minded worked a few times then like you said it was 3, then for me it was wake up, hit the bottle, go to the mountain, hit the bottle, tie my boots hit the bottle, ect... turns out I was on a bad path, drunk by opening chair at 9 am. Resulting in an unproductive day on the mountain. This year I obtained sobriety and have come to realized that the alcohol had nothing to do with anything, It was all me and my thoughts. I can snowboard just as well and care free without booze, where I thought it was necessary before. This is the cunning baffling part of the substance. It tricked me into thinking it was a good idea. Turned out it just ruined my winter maybe 2 or 3 winters as I look back. Thanks for the post Walt. Made me think.
Glad you avoided trees! I wouldn't be so lucky lol. I did used to blackout, and think it was a good idea to go to the gym for leg day. Did numerous times. Terribly dangerous, plus others smelled alcohol on me, and finally was thrown out. I've heard some wild stuff, but I've not heard snowboarding and heavy drinking. You're lucky!