I new here and confused with a sponsee situation

Got an issue with someone or something? Want to whine a little? Here's the place to do it, or to get to know folks, or ask those questions that don't fit anywhere else.
avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Re: I new here and confused with a sponsee situation

Post by avaneesh912 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:03 am

"Lack of power" is in fact Powerless, and of course "Who cares to admit complete defeat" Nope I don't read much about Self Power there.
Yeah thats step 1 and 2 stuff. Thats why we have 12 steps.

For by this time sanity will have returned. ===>>> This is part of promises of 10th step. Of course there is a warning, that we can't rest on our laurels. We keep cleaning and continue to grow spiritually.

If you want to be stuck in step one, nobody is going to stop you.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:20 am

We meet these conditions every day. An alcoholic who cannot meet them, still has an alcoholic mind; there is something the matter with his spiritual status. His only chance for sobriety would be some place like the Greenland Ice Cap, and even there an Eskimo might turn up with a bottle of scotch and ruin everything! Ask any woman who has sent her husband to distant places on the theory he would escape the alcohol problem.
The above is from "Working with others chapter" where Bill W drives home the fact that if we have overcome the alcoholic mind, we can be around alcohol. This is supporting the 10th step promise.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

Noels

Post by Noels » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:23 am

Good afternoon gentlemen, many thanks for your responses. Much appreciated.
Unfortunately I disagree with the statement that one can not remain in an " angelic " state 24/7. I find that it is my own choice. When I notice irritability or even tiredness I realize that I am running on my own energy and " up " my energy immediately by a few minutes of meditation. I have to be very honest - I haven't read the entire big book or even the stories at the back yet so I am unable to quote off by heart or even comment much on anything contained in the big book. I don't think myself qualified to do so at this time. I have always in this respect lived what Einstein said " don't bother to remember anything you can look up in a book " so I don't plan to get to know the big book off by hear either. That's just me.
I do find, however, that as I " progress " through the steps, my spiritual believes are simply confirmed so instead of looking at big book as a book for alcoholics I embrace big book and the 12 step program as a spiritual program. Personally I believe that everyone can benefit from using the 12 step program as its almost as if the 12 steps makes spirituality more easily accessible to the ones who haven't experienced spirituality yet - basically just follow the steps and you WILL get there.
Perhaps its easier for me as after I lost myself many many moons ago I had to go " inside " to find myself and by doing so ive learned that i have approached it the wrong way around. I found that since ive realized that I'm actually a spiritual being living the human experience and NOT a human being trying to get a spiritual experience, everything is easier and comes almost naturally. I am not saying that I have all the answers or that my life is going smooth without any hiccups, don't get me wrong. What I AM saying is that I make a conscious decision every morning to let go and let God. That is why I disagreed with the continuous " kicking " of the member who initially started this thread.
I have also personally experienced that if we " abuse " a power given to us by the God of our understanding, such power is taken away by the same God of our understanding. If you take these words and combine it with the words that I said before that even though the newcomer does not believe in a Higher Power it does not mean that her/their Higher Power is not already protecting him/her then you will possibly understand that if these sponsees were not supposed to be with that sponsor they would not or it would not be for long.
To Ezdzit on the " hell freezing over " reply. That was really funny. I enjoyed it but what I have experienced is that there is not really a hell as such. There is a place where badly injured or damaged souls is kept separate from other souls. There is much pain and moaning but that's because the soul is in pain. There is no fire or torture.
I listen, I learn and I take advice but I prefer to experience for myself. That way I know that whatever I say is not second hand and is part of me.
Love and Light
Noels

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:25 am

Sometimes me think that old timers eventually forget to read the entire big book and concentrate only on the steps.
I don't really understand this statement. From the context of your post, I see you are talking about the obsessive mind. Yes, its the obsessive mind. Thats why we have the daily disciplines of 10 and 11. And that not enough the book points out. We got to go further. We have to work with others. The book talks about writing a whole chapter about it.

The first statement we talk about in the work-shop we started holding recently is this statement:

Show him, from your own experience, how the queer mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power.

We show the audiance how the "spiritual malady" of the protagonist of stories in More About alcoholism leads them to that blind spot and how they end up drunk.

The Car Salesman story is a great example. We use that to show how the resentment leads him to be irritable and suddenly runs into the blind spot and how he falls victim to the queer mental twist.

Layne
Forums Old Timer

Post by Layne » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:11 am

To me, sticking to my side of the street is not about finding a gang or people who see things as I do, but rather to relating my experience instead of going to the other side of the street and evaluating the experience of someone else. I have no experience with their experience, so what could I contribute about their experience that would be valid. Besides it is above my pay grade since relinquishing my position as ruler and master of the universe while working the steps.

Because I am a work in progress,
and others, who stand up and say those sort of phrases make AA look like a program of lifelong struggle, recovering and powerless is the hope they give the new man, which is no hope at all.
I don't see it that way at all. Comments like this
Sometimes I feel to ask the my side of the street gang, to check if they have any shops on that side selling balls, but I won't it may get me in trouble.
raise the question of who is struggling.
I am tempted to say it isn't even what a grownup would do, but more like the actions of a silly schoolgirl.
I don't want any of the balls sold at this store.

Noels

Post by Noels » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:00 am

Hi Reborn agreed. I have to admit that I laughed at the ballshop remark though. I love the way Brock writes. Wish I had that ability but my english dictionary is way limited.
Love you Brock. Mwah xxx

Noels

Post by Noels » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:05 am

Oh my golly - sorry Layne. Got the wrong name in my aging brain.

D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Post by D'oh » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:10 am

[quote"]
"Lack of power" is in fact Powerless, and of course "Who cares to admit complete defeat" Nope I don't read much about Self Power there.
[quote"]
"
Yeah thats step 1 and 2 stuff. Thats why we have 12 steps.

For by this time sanity will have returned. ===>>> This is part of promises of 10th step. Of course there is a warning, that we can't rest on our laurels. We keep cleaning and continue to grow spiritually.

If you want to be stuck in step one, nobody is going to stop you.
May I never forget Where I came from. If you wish to do the remaining steps without a firm foundation, nobody is stopping you.

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:48 am

We have reached the standard stopping spot of five pages.

Please fell free to start a new topic or add your experience, strength and hope to an existing thread.
Step 6 is "AA's way of stating, the best possible attitude one can take in order to make a beginning on this lifetime job... with most of them we shall have to be content with patient improvement." 12&12 Step Six, p.65