Power of Now Part Two

Got an issue with someone or something? Want to whine a little? Here's the place to do it, or to get to know folks, or ask those questions that don't fit anywhere else.
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Re: Power of Now Part Two

Post by avaneesh912 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:51 am

There are couple of things I want to share about the big book.

It is the only one in kind that uses stories (experiences) to illustrate the true problem of the alcoholic. If you look at our co-founders story (Dr. Bobs), he tells us exactly why he was able to be convinced and believed Bill W.

Of far more importance was the fact that he was the first living human with whom I had ever talked, who knew what he was talking about in regard to alcoholism from actual experience. In other words, be talked my language. He knew all the answers, and certainly not because he had picked them up in his reading.

So if you see the way the book is written, they take about 43 pages plus the Doctors Opinion to drive home the powerlessness and un-manageability concepts and that the alcoholics problem centers in the mind.

Having said that, the big book states clearly they are not here to monopolize. Also in the working of the 11th step, it clearly states that Be quick to see where religious people are right. Make use of what they offer. and thats where all these external stuff come into play like others pointed out, we should be using the big book (for the reasons I state above) to help the alcoholic get convinced that without the power he/she cannot stay away from that 1st drink. The defence MUST come from working the 12 steps.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)