Power of Now Part Two

Got an issue with someone or something? Want to whine a little? Here's the place to do it, or to get to know folks, or ask those questions that don't fit anywhere else.
avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Power of Now Part Two

Post by avaneesh912 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:38 am

I want to continue this "desire" part.

Most people carry too much residual resistance, too much fear, too much attachment to sensory experience, too much identification with the manifested world. So they see the portal, turn away in fear, and then lose consciousness. Most of what happens after that is involuntary and automatic. Eventually, there will be another round of birth and death. Their presence wasn't strong enough yet for conscious immortality.

I read the above and then watch the alcoholic Vervet monkeys, I wonder if some of the alcoholics who haven't let go of their desire to drink after death, they still carry that alcoholic mind, and then get sucked into another birth. They take a birth so they can quickly hit the bottle? Within few months of their birth?
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Re: Power of Now Part Two

Post by Tosh » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:38 am

avaneesh912 wrote:
I read the above and then watch the alcoholic Vervet monkeys, I wonder if some of the alcoholics who haven't let go of their desire to drink after death, they still carry that alcoholic mind, and then get sucked into another birth. They take a birth so they can quickly hit the bottle? Within few months of their birth?
I think you'll find that the study they did on alcoholism with these monkeys show they suffer at roughly the same percentage rates of alcoholism as do we.

Just from a quick google of the study; there's lots more to be found if anyone is interested enough:
The percentage of teetotal monkeys matches the non-drinkers in the human population.

‘In line with human habits, most drink in moderation, 12 per cent are steady drinkers and five per cent drink to the last drop.

‘It shows that our liking for alcohol is determined largely by our genes.’
Mice too, suffer with alcoholism, and it's from mice that it's been found there's a very high genetic influence when it comes to who will, or will not, be an alcoholic. I really identify with some of those (cruel) experiments they've done on mice when it comes to alcohol and pleasure seeking.

Maybe I was a mouse in a previous life? :lol:

Anyway, keeping it in the NOW, past or future lives is way off the scale.
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:57 am

Anyway, keeping it in the NOW, past or future lives is way off the scale.
Yes, some decisions, I have to make in the NOW like, make a commitment, that this crap (alcohol/or whatever you want to come out of) is not working for me and I want to give up for good.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

clouds
Forums Long Timer

Post by clouds » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:32 am

The last cigerette I smoked was an experience unlike a decision. I had quit twice before, very difficult, only lasted a few weeks. The day I stopped I was in the middle of a cigarette having a conversation with a sponsee, discussing stopping smoking, we had both tried and failed. I just took the smoke, put it out in the ashtray and it was the last one for more than 30 years. We had been talking of the stinky clothes, the smoke stains on the walls, the expense, the smokers cough, the ashtrays, the offensive smoke, of not being able to stop etc. I knew it was my last cigarette, I don't know how I got to that moment though. I made a decision to stop smoking many years befor that day, but it was then that it stopped.
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.

Spirit Flower
Forums Old Timer

Post by Spirit Flower » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:34 am

I just checked: ET had his moment of enlightenment as a breakthru from severe existential angst; dread as he calls it. Sam Harris, and numerous other stories I've read, had his as a result of drugs. Bill W. was coming off alcohol during his severe angst which lead to his breakthru. Bill also took drugs to again receive that feeling. Many people go back to drugs to receive the feeling.

I am a Dr Bob type. During my moment of severe existential angst, I ended up that day in the office of a recovering alcoholic, who sent me to a councilor who sent me to AA. And I worked the steps and here I am still working the steps and still sober decades later.

But I have read many enlightenment stories and indeed for many decades I wanted enlightenment. I tried to do what they did. Meditate for long hours, even going on 8 day meditation retreats. Eating only raw foods. Fasting for 30 days. Ultra marathons. I went to the monastery hoping to be the next Merton thru Benedictine contemplative life. But God or Spirit or Something said no. My next moment of severe existential angst was the day I was told to leave the monastery. In tears I asked God why I had to be the one to leave. He/Spirit/Something said, "because you can. You can do the world without being too distracted by it and still know Me." So here I am. Not special. I work diligently on a spiritual program and go to work every day in the secular world. Dr Bob all the way is to not be special. Just do the deal.

Do the deal today and you don't need to worry about Now. Do you have that warm glow of the special ones who know Now? No. You only get extremely quiet intuitive thoughts which lead you to do the next right thing.

Like right now, I'm going to a meeting.
...a score card reading zero...

Chelle
Forums Contributor

Post by Chelle » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:37 pm

So...a weird thing happened to me today. I was super early for my meeting this morning and swung through the local thrift store to do a little browsing. I was checking out the paperbacks, not looking for anything in particular, and guess what brand new never used 79 cent book they had! You guessed it! The power of Now. I did get a handy link to the online version which is great, but I'm a little old fashioned type of girl and like a book in my hand. Crazy how things work :D I couldn't wait to share that. The people there must have thought I was nuts when I said kinda loud "No way, you've got to be kidding me" :lol:

Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Post by Tosh » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:54 pm

It was a very popular book a few years back, Chelle, top of the non fiction best seller lists I'm sure, so I'm not surprised you found a copy.

If you like it, the sequel is called A New Earth.
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)

Chelle
Forums Contributor

Post by Chelle » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:29 pm

Thanks Tosh. Good to know.
Ps. Your kind of a buzzkill :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Post by Tosh » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:42 pm

Chelle wrote:Thanks Tosh. Good to know.
Ps. Your kind of a buzzkill :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sorry. :oops: :lol:

I think I was trying to infer that it's a mainstream book; not some kinda niche new age thing aimed at pot smoking hippies.

(Apologies to any pot smoking hippies)

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:05 pm

and guess what brand new never used 79 cent book they had! You guessed it! The power of Now.
Thats a steal. One of my friends found a brand new copy of the book "A New Earth" in the trash can of her office copier room. When we read Eckharts preface to "power of now" where he says the times magazine editor called his work "Mumbo Jumbo" it all makes sense.

Brock
Trusted Servant

Post by Brock » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:40 am

I think it would be useful to remind new readers of the book, that there is a reason it is found 'like new' in the trash or second hand store, it does not appeal to everyone. I am not saying this to 'bash' it in any way, but only because when on a site like this you have people with long term sobriety, indicating that it is great stuff, there is a danger of a new reader, who in fact finds it's 'mumbo jumbo' like the times magazine reviewer did, feeling they are failing in understanding anything about the AA program. And this applies to any other book, speaker tape, daily reflection, and what have you that others might find great. Understanding the program as written in the big book is necessary, everything else can be taken on a take it or leave it basis, we all have individual routes we may prefer to travel, it's nice to look at routes others recommend but not necessary to take them.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."

Chelle
Forums Contributor

Post by Chelle » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:41 am

That is true Brock. When I first started reading it, I could see how some might not relate to it or even want to. I'm glad that my sponsor didn't want me to read anything other than the big book for several months into my journey. Reading this could have led me astray from the 12 steps. I have only read a little of it, and I have found it to be helpful and an enhancement in addition to the BB. For sure not something I would like recommend to a newcomer.

Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Post by Tosh » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:58 am

I didn't relate to the Power of Now when I first started reading it. It took another viewing about a year later, after I'd been through the Steps, but the Big Book does say "There are many helpful books", so maybe we ought not to try and censor stuff like this?

A.A. does get accused of being a cult and one of the indicators of a cult is an organisation that attempts to shield it's members from outside information.

That being said, I would agree with the view that A.A. has it's own philosophy and when at a meeting (or a forum like this) that we should primarily stick to A.A. related information.

So I don't know; I'm conflicted. :lol:

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:04 am

Thats why I thought we have this discussions in the "If it Doesn't Fit Anywhre Else" segment of this forum. Perhaps, we need to be conscious of that fact. Of course, new-comer may not be aware of that. Should we have a closed section for this kind of discussions? Perhaps.

katherine7
Forums Enthusiast

Post by katherine7 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:17 am

avaneesh912 wrote:I want to continue this "desire" part.

Most people carry too much residual resistance, too much fear, too much attachment to sensory experience, too much identification with the manifested world. So they see the portal, turn away in fear, and then lose consciousness. Most of what happens after that is involuntary and automatic. Eventually, there will be another round of birth and death. Their presence wasn't strong enough yet for conscious immortality.

Google Search will benefit very much, that I always use it to get any information.