The Duck with a Human Mind

Got an issue with someone or something? Want to whine a little? Here's the place to do it, or to get to know folks, or ask those questions that don't fit anywhere else.
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

The Duck with a Human Mind

Post by avaneesh912 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:12 am

Another interesting read from A New Earth:

In The Power of Now, I (ET) mentioned my observation that after two ducks get into a fight, which never lasts long, they will separate and float off in opposite directions. Then each duck will flap its wings vigorously a few times; thus releasing the surplus energy that built up during the fight. After they flap their wings, they float on peacefully, as if nothing had ever happened.

If the duck had a human mind, it would keep the fight alive by thinking, by storymaking. This would probably be the duck's story: “I don't believe what he just did. He came to within five inches of me. He thinks he owns this pond. He has no consideration for my private space. I'll never trust him again. Next time he'll try something else just to annoy me. I'm sure he's plotting something already. But I'm not going to stand for this. I'll teach him a lesson he won't forget.” And on and on the mind spins its tales, still thinking and talking about it days, months, or years later. As far as the body is concerned, the fight is still continuing, and the energy it generates in response to all those thoughts is emotion, which in turn generates more thinking. This becomes the emotional thinking of the ego. you can see how problematic the duck's life would become if it had a human mind. But this is how most humans live all the time. No situation or event is ever really finished. The mind and the mindmade “me and my story” keep it going.

We are a species that has lost its way. everything natural, every flower or tree, and every animal have important lessons to teach us if we would only stop, look and listen. Our duck's lesson is this: Flap your wings – which translates as “let go of the story” and return to the only place of power: the present moment.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

positrac
Forums Old Timer

Re: The Duck with a Human Mind

Post by positrac » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:19 am

Stinking think..... You know I am not sure if ducks have free will out side of instinct and so they are doing the turf thing and yet seem to either forgive and forget and know who is charge. Free will is a real change as if life were that simple. Good post for me to ponder today.

Cheers.
Work hard, stay positive, and get up early. It's the best part of the day.
George Allen, Sr.

Brock
Forums Coordinator

Post by Brock » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:16 am

Our duck's lesson is this: Flap your wings – which translates as “let go of the story” and return to the only place of power: the present moment.
I like the duck story and the principle of letting things go, and ET demonstrates this well, but I believe those who do and live the AA program would live like that anyway, whether they read his book or not.

Just this Tuesday at my regular morning meeting, someone we all respect said we should never get annoyed if we are living the program. A newer member asked what if it was something really bad like running her off the road, still he said we must not get annoyed. When I got a turn to speak I disagreed, in my view there are some things even a saint will get upset about, I mentioned a good man 2000 years ago kicked down the tables and ran the tax collectors from the holy place.

I think if we are living this program correctly we enjoy a peace and serenity which we cherish, and if this is broken by some incident we are very keen to return to the position of serenity, the literature speaks of this in several places, whenever we are upset and so forth. So I see nothing wrong with shouting something like 'you are a stupid *#@^< for parking in the handicap spot', once I can let it go a minute after and return to my default peace and serenity, the duck flaps his wings when annoyed, I sometimes flap my lips.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."

avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Post by avaneesh912 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:31 am

So I see nothing wrong with shouting something like 'you are a stupid *#@^< for parking in the handicap spot', once I can let it go a minute after and return to my default peace and serenity, the duck flaps his wings when annoyed, I sometimes flap my lips.
From what I understand from ETs teaching, we don't even flap our lips. Let it be. What are we going to acheive by it? Let the SOB get a parking violation ticket. Why are we upset about it. Its the mind that wants to "tell him/her that he/she is wrong", the self doesn't care.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

positrac
Forums Old Timer

Post by positrac » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:56 am

You know I am glad this life I live is not about perfection as I would have gone off the deep in a long time ago. Progress not perfection and each new day is a challenge. :wink:
Work hard, stay positive, and get up early. It's the best part of the day.
George Allen, Sr.

Brock
Forums Coordinator

Post by Brock » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:15 am

From what I understand from ETs teaching, we don't even flap our lips.
That's all fine and dandy, but then I just hope everybody doesn't start turning a blind eye. I live in Trinidad in the Caribbean, nice place, but if you expect someone to give out tickets for things like parking in handicap spots good luck with that. This morning a friend on face book said she broke her new years resolution, she planned to stop telling people off for doing crap, but a woman was violently hitting a child with a belt in public for being late, she intervened and the woman gave her a proper cussing for doing so, but all of us on face book congratulated her for speaking up, because she said at least the beating stopped.

I have also lived in more 'developed' countries, and to an extent agree that we can mind our own business. But if everyone adopted the 'why are we getting upset about it view,' we would turn a blind eye to someone mistreating an animal, or bullying someone smaller than themselves. No I may be an alcoholic and live according to the steps, but I still have a pair between my legs and a civic duty, and I don't think anything in AA says I shouldn't do otherwise, providing I have the ability to let it go soon after speaking my mind or taking action when I can.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."

Niagara
Forums Old Timer

Post by Niagara » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:36 am

I totally get this. And I do it too.

Something might happen that doesn't make a whole lot of sense to my Ego...so my ego will try to fill in the gaps. Because I don't think well, these made up stories are rarely the truth, upset and hurt inside follow...all needless because it's a made up story and not even close to the truth.

And if I'd thought about that the other day I would have saved myself a crummy day :lol:

I didn't flap my lips (or wings) at anyone at all....all the damage was to me, and my day, and I was thoroughly miserable. I also felt a bit stupid when I realized exactly what had happened inside my own mind. Well, duh. completely and utterly unnecessary...waste of a day. Facts only please mind, please TRY to remember that ;)
If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month -
Theodore Roosevelt