AA Help for the Deaf Community

Got an issue with someone or something? Want to whine a little? Here's the place to do it, or to get to know folks, or ask those questions that don't fit anywhere else.
Leigh3875
Forums Newcomer

AA Help for the Deaf Community

Post by Leigh3875 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:53 pm

Hi there ,
I am the national PI and CPC Co-ordinator in Australia, and have recently been trying to do some work with some Deaf alcoholics . Does anyone here know of any Skype SIGNED meetings online that they may be able to acess?
At present we are making do with text, and a Room I set up on FB , I have minimal sign talent, and am certainly not fast enough for them LOL
Any suggestions or help would be hugely appreciated
All of these members live in different Aussie states and the cost of interpreters to accompany them to regular meetings is prohibitive
In service
Leigh

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Re: AA Help for the Deaf Community

Post by PaigeB » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:50 pm

You can connect with meetings for the deaf at
http://aa-intergroup.org/directory_spec ... ?code=dhoh

I hope that helps!
Step 6 is "AA's way of stating, the best possible attitude one can take in order to make a beginning on this lifetime job... with most of them we shall have to be content with patient improvement." 12&12 Step Six, p.65

ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Post by ezdzit247 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:25 pm

Leigh3875 wrote:Hi there ,
I am the national PI and CPC Co-ordinator in Australia, and have recently been trying to do some work with some Deaf alcoholics . Does anyone here know of any Skype SIGNED meetings online that they may be able to acess?
At present we are making do with text, and a Room I set up on FB , I have minimal sign talent, and am certainly not fast enough for them LOL
Any suggestions or help would be hugely appreciated
All of these members live in different Aussie states and the cost of interpreters to accompany them to regular meetings is prohibitive
In service
Leigh
Hi Leigh

There are about 5 or 6 AA real time meetings every day on a website called Step Chat that might work as a substitute to live AA meetings for the deaf or hearing impaired. Step Chat has about 50 to 80 regular AA members at each of their meetings and seems to attract a mostly younger crowd with lots of energy and enthusiasm for sobriety.

Apple has a free download for advanced voice recognition technology app that translates speech directly to a text language. You might want to check with Google, Apple, Microsoft, etc customer service reps to see if they have anything similar your clients might be able to use for live AA meetings. It sounds like the app can be used for iphones or lap tops so this may be a very affordable alternative to cost prohibitive human interpreters and also allow your clients to have more freedom and independence.
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Post by ezdzit247 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:30 pm

Hi again Leigh

Stumbled upon this info about the history of AA meetings for the deaf at Barefoot's World's website:
Other Special Composition Groups

The hearing impaired may be more susceptible to alcoholism than hearing people because of their isolation and sense of being "different." And their recovery in A.A. is hampered by the difficulty of communicating. Long recognizing this need, A.A. has attempted to serve the hearing impaired through the group services assignment at G.S.O. The first Deaf group, apparently, was started in Los Angeles in March 1962, with as many as 18 in attendance -- but attendance dwindled and the group was inactivated in 1981. Meanwhile, the Eye Opener group for the hearing impaired was formed in Washington, D.C., in 1970, and the Sign of Hope group in Cambridge, Massachusetts, in 1981. In 1985, G.S.O. listed about 100 groups and contacts throughout the country.

The exclusively Deaf groups have tended to lose members to regular A.A. groups which have increasingly tried to provide an interpreter who can "sign" for hearing impaired members when needed. Signing for the deaf is now provided at all International Conventions and many other A.A. gatherings as well....
Suggest you contact GSO in New York for a list of the 100 groups and other contact info for groups and individuals who work with hearing impaired alcoholics.

Keep coming back.....
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

ann2
Forums Old Timer

Post by ann2 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:19 pm

good luck in your search for signed meetings. I just read about an app that is favored by signing users and I can't remember the name of it (you can leave video messages which is what makes it valuable to the users). Wonder if anyone's started a meeting using that app, which I hope to recall!

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:19 pm

This is not about sign language. I wanted to share that there are transcript of Joe and Charlie workshop available on the internet. Google them. The audio was of immense help to lot of alkies, I am sure people who can't hear could make use of their workshop.

PS: Because of the forums policy, i cant paste the link here, but this afternoon I was googling them to extract the "Metabolism theory" they talk about.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Post by Tosh » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:23 pm

avaneesh912 wrote: but this afternoon I was googling them to extract the "Metabolism theory" they talk about.
Although at the time it was a good effort, I'm pretty sure what they described has been shown to be incorrect information.

Neuroscience understands the process - from the little I understand - much better these days.
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)